1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Baptist Views on Drinking

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by righteousdude2, May 27, 2010.

?
  1. When Jesus turns the water to wine

3 vote(s)
    5.5%
  2. In social settings

2 vote(s)
    3.6%
  3. Never

6 vote(s)
    10.9%
  4. And, it's up to the individual

38 vote(s)
    69.1%
  5. In no situations, as it hurts our witness

12 vote(s)
    21.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Why would it need to be private? If there's nothing wrong with one making that decision for themselves and enjoying alcohol responsibly, then there's no need to hide it."

...then there should be nothing wrong with taking a little "swig" just before delivering a Sunday School lesson, huh?

Look, if you "enlightened" folks want to drink a little or a lot, then go for it. It will all be sorted out after the smoke of hell fire clears.

2. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Where does Jesus fit into your position when he turned the water into wine and drank wine himself?

3. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

Whoa! Despite what many of the old-time SBC preachers would say, Christians have not historically had a firm stance against alcohol. It is simply an issue of conscience.

Check out Paul's statements about weak and strong faith in Romans. If you feel that you shouldn't drink, that is between you and God and I wouldn't dare get in between. If someone else is not convicted in the same way, that is also between themselves and God. The smoke of hell fire has nothing to do with this.

4. Mississippi John

That must have been Welch's grape juice. Everybody knows that Jesus would not make alcohol.:rolleyes:

5. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Pasteurized too?

6. RAdam

RAdam New Member

If you lived in Galilee, you'd have drank wine too. They didn't exactly have the selection we have today.

Is drinking itself a sin? I don't think so, seeing as they used wine in the Lord's Supper and the church I am part of still does today. However, in our society today drinking has become a huge problem due to high alcoholic beverages and it being glamorized on television and such. Drinking in excess is quite frequent, and is actually a sought after activity among young people. This causes many problems. Many people have committed sins while drunk to excess such as fornication, murder, etc. Due to all of this, and in order to set a good example as a preacher, husband, and father, I abstain from drinking at all, save for a little thimble full of wine at Communion time. I think no good comes out of drinking, but if one wants to that is their business. I won't condemn them for it, but I'll advise against it and back it up with my actions.

7. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Drinking to the point of any level of inebriation is sinful.

8. Bro K

Bro K New Member

UNBELIEVABLE !!!!!! Only 22 posts till we bring Jesus into the conversation.
    WAY TO GO BAPTIST. BAPTIST??????

9. rbell

rbell Active Member

10. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

I refrain from alcohol for one reason: I am an ordained Southern Baptist minister, and it could simply cause too much trouble. I would rather just abstain.

11. Bro K

Bro K New Member

I refrain from alcohol for one reason: Prov 23:31 "Look not thou upon the wine when it is red, when it giveth his colour in the cup, when it moveth itself aright. 32: At the last it biteth like a serpent, and stingeth like an adder"

12. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

For you fellow TNIV users, here is the text:

31 Do not gaze at wine when it is red,
    when it sparkles in the cup,
    when it goes down smoothly!

32 In the end it bites like a snake
    and poisons like a viper.

Just thought you'd like to know.

13. Bro K

Bro K New Member

Not a TNIV user. I believe "when it moveth itself aright" and "when it goes down smoothly" has nothing in common. "When it moveth itself aright" seemly would refer to process of fermentation.

14. Mississippi John

#34 Mississippi John, Jun 3, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2010
  15. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Pr 20:1 Wine is a mocker, strong drink is raging: and whosoever is deceived thereby is not wise.

Up to the individual might be in the lead but...

Bottom line is that folks are going to do what they want to do and find some way to justify their actions.

Hey, there's women out there who see nothing wrong with being able to go topless on the streets of America as the men do. They are incensed by the fact that equal rights don't always apply. Won't be long however and they will probably be permitted to do so.

What's that scripture about lusting after a woman...???

16. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

It equates the thought process and the physical act. That is why every man on this earth is as guilty as the habitual cheater. That is why we all need the cross, and we certainly need not think of ourselves as any better than any other sinner. (that would be everyone)

17. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

#1 - It's probably safer to go with the TNIV when the two don't agree, since it is a modern translation.
    #2 - It would seem that "moveth itself aright" would refer to how it goes down, making the two renderings congruent.

18. Bro K

Bro K New Member

#1: God doesn't need man to tell man what He meant to say. Modern translation: What will some do when a MORE modern translation comes along which disagree with their modern translation????????? :confused:

#2: Prov 23:31 "Look not thou upon the wine when it is red, when it giveth his colour in the cup, when it moveth itself aright." Be hard 'to look upon it' if its being swallowed. Bottom line is that God is telling man to stay away from it.

19. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

So God told us with the KJV? Even though it's still a translation? And do you listen to sermons? That's man telling man what God meant to say. Some do it well, some poorly, but even with submission to the Holy Spirit, nobody ever gets it perfectly. Unfortunately, I can't read any of the thousands of Hebrew manuscripts. I wish I could.

Anyway, Proverbs are not commands. They are not promises. It is wisdom teachings. For instance, the "Train up a child" proverb is certainly not a guarantee. Many children have been trained in "the way he should go" and have still strayed away. The point is that it is the best path for parents to take and obviously gives the highest probability.

So it would seem that God is hardly commanding us to stay away, but warning of its potential risk.

20. Bro K

Bro K New Member

I've already been accused of 're-directing' a thread. So I won't go down that road again. Subject of poll is: "Drinking Only is acceptable......" :wavey: