1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Baptist vs. Presbyterian

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by chipsgirl, Jan 17, 2005.

1. chipsgirl

chipsgirl New Member

I don't know the politics of the Presbyterian church. Sorry. Talking about that is just like talking in an alien language. That's why I said basic explanation.

2. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

That is - "one who wishes to be obedient to the Lord regarding baptism will be accomodated, as well as someone wanting to be disobedient." If someone is willing to submit to the will of God, he will be immersed as the Bible teaches. </font>[/QUOTE]*sigh*

That's right. I'm sorry. The degree of dampness is all that counts. My mistake.

3. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

How can an infant decide that? </font>[/QUOTE]The same way an infant can decide he or she needs to save for college, or participate in one daycare program over another one.

4. chipsgirl

chipsgirl New Member

Stop hijacking my thread with arguments! [​IMG]

5. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

I simply answered your question. The Baptists and the wanna-be Baptists were the arguers.

6. chipsgirl

chipsgirl New Member

I was playing. I thought the infant decision one was funny.

7. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

Thanks!

I was serious, though... I wonder if anyone "got it?"

8. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

The difference between Baptists and Presbyterians is that Presbyterians drink IN FRONT of each other.

9. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

10. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

That's a shocker.

I was answering a question, not positing a theological position.

11. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

That I understood your remark about infant baptism and the infants not being able to chose for themselves... ?

12. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Are you sure he's not a Baptist? He certainly sounds like one [​IMG]

13. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I have great respect for you. Though I've been SBC for several years, I have great respect for the PCA and the RCA.

14. padredurand

padredurand Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Try Calvin's Institutes Book IV Chapter 16 [​IMG]

15. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

Yup. That's what I was answering.

16. FriendofSpurgeon

Site Supporter

Chipsgirl --

I will do what I can to answer your question. I have a unique view of the two denominations, having been both Baptist and Presbyterian for many years (though obviously not at the same time).

First some disclosure… I grew up and was baptized in a Baptist Church. I sat under some wonderful Baptist teachers and preachers for more than 20 years, including my own dad who was a Baptist preacher (he went home to be with our Lord just last year). I have a lot of family and friends who are Baptists (hence my Baptist Board name) and I always attend a Baptist church when I go back "home." However for close to 20 years, I have been an active member of a Presbyterian church and I am an ordained deacon within the Presbyterian Church of America.

Both Presbyterians and Baptists agree on the essentials of the Christian faith: the inspiration and the authority of the Scriptures, the Trinity, the virgin birth, the blood atonement, and that salvation is by grace through faith in Christ alone - just to name a few.

However, there are some differences between the two and I have listed them below in no specific order. I'm sure there are more differences, but these are the ones that come to mind. To be fair, I have attempted to simply list each view without prejudice. I would be happy to answer any questions you/others may have.

1. Church Government:
    Baptist - Congregational, autonomous, no formal link to other churches
    Presbyterian - Representative, ruled by elders, formal links to other churches within the denomination

2. Church Services:
    Baptist - usually less formal. Most services normally end with an invitation to come forward. Think Charles Stanley.
    Presbyterian - usually more formal, with creeds, confessions, responsive readings, etc. Think D. James Kennedy. However, many evangelical Presbyterian churches tend to be less formal and you might find little difference between the two church services (except for the lack of an invitation).

3. Theology:
    Baptist - normally Dispensational; may be new Covenant Theology
    Presbyterian - Covenant Theology

4. Eschatology:
    Baptist - normally, pre-trib, pre-mil
    Presbyterian - May be amillenial or historical premillenial; also, may be partial preterist as well. Not a major issue in most Presbyterian churches.

5. Baptism:
    Baptist - An ordinance. Believers only by immersion only
    Presbyterian - A sacrament. Believers and their children; by pouring, sprinkling or immersion

6. Lord's Table:
    Baptist - an ordinance - memorial service only; normally does not happen very often and is a closed table (usually open to only those church members or other Baptists)
    Presbyterian - a sacrament - a means of God's grace; normally occurs more often, though not every week and is open to all Christians present

7. View of Salvation:
    Baptist - ranges from strongly Arminian to Calvinistic; from what I've experienced personally - closer to the Arminian position
    Presbyterian - Calvinistic

8. Confessions:
    Baptist - not a confessional church, but may refer to the London Confession (but probably not)
    Presbyterian - holds to doctrines defined in the Westminster Confession of Faith and the Larger & Shorter Catechisms

9. Social/Political Issues:
    Baptist - normally more conservative
    Presbyterian - normally less conservative; normally these issues are not addressed from the pulpit

10. Scholarship/Education (note: I hesitate to include this, but from what I have seen, this is true):
    Baptist - varies from pastor to pastor and church to church. Some ordained pastors have considerable education, while others do not.
    Presbyterian - Pastors must always have both a four-year degree plus a seminary degree before ordination.

11. Calling to Ministers:
    Baptist - by the local church only
    Presbyterian - by the local church, plus qualifications and doctrines are approved by the elders in other local Presbyterian churches (ie the Presbytery)

17. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

F.O.S., the only thing I would add is that an invitation may be offered at a Presbyterian service, though admittedly it is the exception and not the rule. The PC(USA) Book of Order actually prescribes a "time of decision" be offered in the worship service.

18. FriendofSpurgeon

Site Supporter

Thanks for the addition - I agree. Sometimes we do this, though not very often as most sermons are not evangelistic in nature.

19. Johnv

Johnv New Member

FriendofSpurgeon, that was a very complete, informative, and thought out post.

BTW, when I saw that, for "View of Salvation", you said "Presbyterian - Calvinistic", I chuckled, because I figured everyone knew that.... the Presbyterian church was founded by John Calvin!!! [​IMG] But, not everyone knew that. [​IMG]

BTW, it should be noted that mainline calvinism should not be confused with hypercalvinism.

20. chipsgirl

chipsgirl New Member

Thank you FriendofSpurgeon. That's what I wanted the whole time instead of an argument about the differences. Now that I know, you all can finish your arguments.