1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Baptist World Alliance Message From The Centenary Congress

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Psalm 95, Apr 5, 2008.

?
  1. Too liberal, I would not cooperate with that organization

4 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. OK, I would cooperate with a church holding such standards

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  3. Good, I would join a church holding such standards

7 vote(s)
    58.3%
  4. Other, please comment

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Psalm 95

Psalm 95 New Member

2. Psalm 95

Psalm 95 New Member

Statement by BWA Executive Committee, March 2004
    We wish to affirm again for all to know:
    a. Our adherence to the historic doctrines of our faith including but not limited to
    i. The uniqueness of our Lord Jesus Christ
    ii. The centrality of the Great Commission
    b. Our joyful affirmation of faith in the mediation of Jesus Christ as solely and entirely
    sufficient for salvation, “for there is salvation in no one else” (Acts 4:12).

3. Psalm 95

Psalm 95 New Member

Statement by BWA General Secretary to General Council, July 2004:
    1. The BWA strongly affirms the fundamental doctrines of the Christian faith as proclaimed in Holy Scripture which we accept as the authoritative Word of God!
    2. Since we affirm the autonomy of Baptist bodies, it is the prerogative of local churches and their member bodies to make decisions on ordination.
    3. We are citizens of the Kingdom of God and loyal citizens of our own nations. As Baptists who believe in the authority of the Word of God we believe that all of us must be open to the prophetic voice from God as it applies to our nations and to the world! We believe that Baptists should be good and patriotic citizens of their countries, but patriotism must always be limited to and judged by the Bible’s call for ultimate loyalty to Christ who is above all!
    4. The BWA does not support homosexuality as an acceptable life-style, believing it to be incompatible with the teachings of Scripture! It affirms without reservation that marriage is a holy state and only between a man and a woman. Meeting in July, 1994 in Uppsala, Sweden, the BWA General Council approved the following resolution confirming that the BWA “proclaims the biblical definition of the family, a permanent, monogamous, heterosexual union, as the original divine plan for family life which must continue to serve as the foundation and ideal for an ordered and effective society.

4. Fred Moritz

Fred Moritz New Member

Baptist World Alliance

The Baptist World Alliance has several problems.

1. Regardless of statements they make they still refused to endorse the statement that Christ is the only way of salvation. This took place in Brazil. In my office I have the report of the meeting as carried in the Richmond, VA newspaper. I believe this goes back to December 2003. They pled the old liberal Baptist ruse that adopting such a statement infringes on individual soul liberty. Bible believers respond that individual soul liberty, a highly valued Baptist distinctive, is limited by the absolute authority of Scripture. Acts 4:12 and other passages are definitive on the subject of salvation. The BWA has been trying to "dance" around this issue ever since.

2. Regardless of how good a Statement of Faith may or may not look, the other issue is that many of the BWA world wide member bodies are also members of the World Council of Churches. The organization is patently ecumenical.

5. Lou Martuneac

Lou Martuneac New Member

Joining the BWA will put you in membership with the likes of Rick Warren. Commenting on the SBC's decision to pull out of the BWA Warren said,
    That Rick Warren can join, financially support and be welcomed by BWA leadership should give you a good handle on just how uncommitted to the biblical plan of salvation BWA is.

For details on the ministry and philosophy of Rick Warren, please read:

Purpose Driven's Compromise of Scripture

Rick Warren's Foray Into the United Nations

No Laughing Matter

LM

6. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Do you feel the same way about the SBC? Saddleback is also a member of the SBC, financially supports it and Warren likely attends leadership meetings for the SBC. Does that give us a handle on how uncommitted to the biblical plan of salvation the SBC is?

#6 Gold Dragon, Apr 6, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2008
  7. Psalm 95

Psalm 95 New Member

A. It is true that BWA has problems. On the other hand, so had SBC before the SBC Conservative Resurgence. Also, I think I would not question that there are many conservative members of BWA around the world.

B. It may be that SBC Baptist Faith and Message 1925, was in responce to liberalism and its further revisions has been an important part of the conservative resurgence. Could the Centenary Message of the BWA be a start of a conservative resurgence of the BWA?

C. In many countries there are no SBC, IFB or equialent. You have to do the best what you have, in my case the Baptist Union of Sweden.

Conclusion
    So while I encourage no one to leave SBC for a church connected to BWA, I am happy to see signs of conservatism in BWA. For me personally that means that I can pray for a conservative resurgence of both the BWA and the Baptist Union of Sweden, knowing that I not alone.

I is also important to me that BWA wants to confess a basicly sound faith at the centenary congress. That means that I am not alone and that I can support them, at the same time praying for our Lord to help us with problems and doing my best to be a wittnes where I live.

8. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I applaud them for trying to obey Paul's pleading in Ephesians 4 and live out Christ's prayer in John 17.

#8 Gold Dragon, Apr 6, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2008
  9. Psalm 95

Psalm 95 New Member

I can see no part in the Baptist World Alliance Message From The Centenary Congress that says you should approve Rick Warren or his methods.

I think my point is that the Baptist World Alliance Message From The Centenary Congress is basicly OK, even if everything the BWA does is not good.

/Psalm 95.

10. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

I don't understand your point. This was their statement of faith.

Statement by BWA Executive Committee, March 2004
    We wish to affirm again for all to know:

b. Our joyful affirmation of faith in the mediation of Jesus Christ as solely and entirely sufficient for salvation, “for there is salvation in no one else” (Acts 4:12).

How can you interpret this as saying anything other than salvation is ONLY through Jesus Christ? You're arguing that some statement in a newspaper (which you didn't post) is stronger than their statement of faith. Explain.

11. Joseph M. Smith

Joseph M. Smith New Member

To tarnish the BWA by pointing out that some member unions are also part of the World Council of Churches is to engage in guilt by association. We showed that tactic up during the McCarthy years (Joe, not Charlie or Eugene or Jennie!).

The statement is classically Christian. Notice that while it points out the need for Christians to work for unity, it also says that baptism by immersion is the proper way for churches to provide entry. So there is no compromise with pedobaptism or other problematic doctrines.

I was privileged, some years ago, to be an observer at a World Council of Churches hearing on their "Baptism, Eucharist, and Ministry" document. It was heartening to see how much appreciation there was in this ecumenical gathering for Baptist insights, which were vigorously offered by people like Frank Stagg and Glenn Igleheart. We should not make the term "ecumenical" a negative.

I personally do not pray for a conservative "resurgence" in the BWA. I believe that its statements, which of necessity reflect a wide variety of cultures and traditions, are on target.

Disclosure: one of the members of the church where I am interim pastor is an executive of the BWA.

12. Lou Martuneac

Lou Martuneac New Member

J. Smith:

Earlier Fred Moritz wrote,
    The part I put in bold above trumps everything you said to legitimize the BWA.

The BWA is a council made up of compromisers with known and vital error. The BWA’s tolerance for men and movements that corrupt the Gospel of Jesus Christ is a betrayal of Scripture and treason against the Lord Himself.

This note from my book is very applicable here,
    LM