1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

BaptistBoard Folding@Home Project

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by bb_baptist, Nov 18, 2005.

1. bb_baptist

bb_baptist New Member

2. bb_baptist

bb_baptist New Member

We are in the Top10000 teams (Team Ranking 9981 of 41379). 5 CPUs completed 19 WUs for 1966 points.

3. kubel

kubel New Member

7 Active CPU's with a rank of 9194!

Welcome aboard Nate2!

4. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Would love to join, but I am not online much any longer. Maybe an hour or two a week usually.

How long does one need to be online before his computer is really useful, and what about connection speed?

I'm on dial-up still. (And won't consider broad band till it's below $10 a month.)

5. NiteShift

NiteShift New Member

Barnabas, are you on a dialup connection? Me too, and though I haven't tried this folding application, my guess is that it won't work very well unless you have a cable connection.

6. bb_baptist

bb_baptist New Member

34 WUs completed by 8 computers. BB Team is ranked #8,655.

Welcome aboard "mesly"!

7. bb_baptist

bb_baptist New Member

We're in the Top 8,000 teams (#7,940 of 41,578). 8 computers completed 44 WUs for 4,837 points.

We need more people to start folding for the BB Team.

8. bb_baptist

bb_baptist New Member

F@H only needs to connect to the Internet when it needs to upload a finished Work Unit and download a new Work Unit. Most of the time it will take most WU's 4-6 hours to finish. Don't let a slow Internet connection stop you from downloading and running Folding@Home.

9. Barnabas H.

Barnabas H. <b>Oldtimer</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, I do have a dial-up connection with Verizon. But it is like a cable connection, for I do not dial up, per say. I just log in. And I still do not understand where did I go wrong, but I had to delete the program because it interfered with the regular operation of my computer. It definitely did not work in the background, as it supposed to. :(

10. computerjunkie

computerjunkie New Member

Since I'm not totally sure I understand this, but maybe I understand enough to be dangerous(!), I do have a question...

Is the security level of my computer and personal information compromised in any way?

The way it's been presented, I'm thinking there's nothing to lose...and a lot of good can possibly come from doing this.

CJ

11. bb_baptist

bb_baptist New Member

Folding@Home won't compromise your privacy in any way and it rarely effects computer performance. A study was done on F@H's effect on a computer. See: http://techreport.com/etc/2002q4/foldingimpact/index.x?pg=1

F@H only uses the computing power you aren't using so it doesn't slow down other programs. See Stanford's page for further information on security: http://folding.stanford.edu/faq.html#misc.security

Also note that tech experts, even large technology companies, support F@H.

Google
    http://toolbar.google.com/dc/offerdc.html

Apple Computer
    http://www.apple.com/science/profiles/proteinfolding/

IBM
    http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=teampage&teamnum=11142

Intel
    http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=teampage&teamnum=711

[ December 12, 2005, 01:18 PM: Message edited by: webmaster ]

12. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

A couple of things to mention. Distributed programming started with project "Seti@home" and was used to search through data from the big radio-telescope in Puerto Rico. Although I'm not sure what people here think about the SETI program, it was very interesting the way it worked and there were some people found by the billions of clock cycles used on outside computers. These "hits" will be reviewed by Berkeley (the college hosting the program), on leased time on Cray mainframes.

In my book, crunching numbers for finding diseases is a much BETTER use of computer time, but the SETI program did prove out that distributed computer is great.

There is ONE word of warning that I wish to make to those considering using it. It is NOT advised to be used on a LAPTOP. WHY?

Modern laptops have non-dynamic processors which can actually be stopped. When they are not in use, the clock cycles are either dropped to a lower level or turned off completely. These shut-downs or slow-downs may occur hundreds of times a minute, but it lowers the average number of clock cycles tremendously. In other words, the processor only runs during the times it needs to do something. For instance, a word processor may only turn on the processor when it has a key hit or does an auto-save--or is commanded to do something else. The rest of the time, the processor is essentially idle (except for housekeeping of windows).

The point is, distributed processing forces the computer to run during these slow periods--it can cause a processor in a laptop to overheat or run hotter than normal continuously. A proccessor running at 2 GHZ uses a LOT of power while it is processing. Therefore, you not only pull heavily from your power-supply or battery, but you may reduce the life of a portable's chip-set.

This is the ONLY negative to this. Otherwise it is perfectly safe and certainly will be helpful to the organizations crunching tons and tons of data. It is a unique form of donating to the prevention of disease.

Please do not take this as a negative--I highly recommend it. I just don't using your laptop.

.........Great program. [​IMG]

13. TheOliveBranch

TheOliveBranch New Member

Does it matter what kind of processor is in the laptop? I only have a laptop and would like to participate. I have a Centrino processor.

14. bb_baptist

bb_baptist New Member

While it may not be wise to run F@H on a laptop 24/7, as long as the laptop is getting the ventilation it needs, it will be fine. I know several people who run F@H on their laptops.

You can configure F@H to only accept units that don't have a time limit since they tend to be smaller units, then just run F@H when you are either using the laptop or can supervise it.

15. preacher

preacher New Member

Well...I jumped in too! I use an antique for a puter' but I'll do what I can. I just downloaded & installed & if I understand a little about it the WU they sent me will take abouta week to run.(I told ya it's old) but ole'Betsy's got lots of time on her hands!!

16. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Sue just downloaded this, and it appears to have really messed up her computer. She's taking it in for repairs now. First the computer froze, then she rebooted, and now can only get a black screen and a notice saying that the file is corrupted or needs to be reinstalled, but nothing but that shows up and it isn't clickable.

I'd have to say...this is a great project and good idea, but maybe it isn't compatible with certain computer models or other installed programs, and that should be checked into before downloading it?

17. preacher

preacher New Member

She didn't download the beta version did she? I tend to stay away from such programs with my older system.

18. bb_baptist

bb_baptist New Member

I'm terribly sorry to hear about Sue's computer. I searched all over the Internet to see if others have experienced similar problems, but couldn't find anything.

I've been running F@H 24/7 for 2+ weeks and I don't see any difference on my computer when F@H runs. It doesn't slow down anything and it doesn't interfere with anything.

I'm puzzled.

19. preacher

preacher New Member

Thats why I wondered if she used the beta form. If so there may have been sometype of glitch that got her. I've learned that the hard way in the past.

20. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

I doubt the failure was related. She may have had a hardware problem occur at the same time. Or possibly conflicting interrupts.