1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

BaptistBoard Folding@Home Project

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by bb_baptist, Nov 18, 2005.

1. OrovilleTim

OrovilleTim New Member

The secret is numbers. I've got this running on 50 different processors. So, I'm doing the effort of about 50 individual people (although I suspect that 50 people with single processors may have greater success as in some cases I have 4-8 procesess on a single machine.)

This will be ending soon though and I'll be back down to more realistic numbers. If we want to keep climbing (or climb more at the present time), we need to have more members install the client! We have 1704 members (although I don't know how many are active) but even if we got a 10th of those folding, I bet the results would be outstanding.

As for besides the obvious benefits to the medical/scientific community, I was also hoping we'd make it up in the top somewhere for exposure for the board. There is also the fact that it is pretty fun to participate, with very little overhead of time/intervention on ones part.

2. TheGuyWithTheCross

TheGuyWithTheCross New Member

How can we get exposure on BB?

I did a quick count and discovered that only 6 members of our 23 member team are producing numbers, (i.e.)

OrovilleTim
    FredFlintstone
    Randy
    AndrewTees
    NightBreak48
    Ross

All the rest are dormant, most for months. If we active members each emailed 3 other team mates we might be able to get them working again. Anyone game?

Also, how can we "advertise" on this board to get more people interested?

3. TheGuyWithTheCross

How to get more out of my computer question

Tim,

Are you saying you can have multiple versions of the folding@home program running on the same computer? If so, what does this do with your availability of processor power for other programs?

Fred

4. OrovilleTim

OrovilleTim New Member

They have to be multi-processor computers (hypre-threading computers may also work, but I'm not sure about that as I don't have one,) and you have to assign each program to it's own processor.

F@H has the following technical gibberish to say, and this is exactly how I configured my multi-processor machines (all basic, with one bigWU per machine):

Computers with multiple CPUs (SMP) are supported under FAH by running multiple clients (one for each CPU). This is clearly non-ideal and better support is under development. There are certain caveats of using SMP boxes with special flags. Do not run multiple clients with each set to the most aggressive settings (bigWU + adv), as this can overwhelm most computers. Instead, we suggest bigWU+adv on one client and the default settings on the other(s). In situations where reliability, stability, and/or responsiveness a premium, we suggest either all clients with the default settings or just one client with the big WU enabled

I've never had a performance problem, but when I'm running it on these particular machine, there isn't usually anything else running. On my "regular" machines I run it all the time with the exception of my wifes laptop. I never have had any problems (and my exploding Dell battery on my laptop never caught fire before it was recalled ;)). So, for those who may be hanging back thinking there are adverse affects... for 52 CPU's total on at least a dozen unique machines, I've no problems so PLEASE join in and help! :smilewinkgrin:

5. TheGuyWithTheCross

I thought I would say this again, just in case it was missed

I did a quick count and discovered that only 6 members of our 23 member team are producing numbers, (i.e.)

OrovilleTim
    FredFlintstone
    Randy
    AndrewTees
    NightBreak48
    Ross

All the rest are dormant, most for months. If we active members each emailed 3 other team mates we might be able to get them working again. Anyone game?

6. TheGuyWithTheCross

Top 800

Congrats to our team and esp. to OrovilleTim for catapulting our team into the top 900 (898 as of Tuesday 26Sep06).

Another landmark of sorts, this week Tim crossed into the top 1% of contributors to folding@home. Keep up the good work.

7. Two_Brothers_Software

7 and I am trying to recruit

Make that 7 - Two_Brothers_Software and about to put up another 5 meg plus work unit.

I'm trying to get some from http://www.christiancoders.com/ to pitch in but have not seen any new names.

Right now up to 850 and only 27 CPU short of the entry on the bottom of the first page. Lets get the name of Christ where they can see it/

8. bb_baptist

bb_baptist New Member

Bump (#844 overall)

:thumbsup:

9. kubel

kubel New Member

^bump^

I have a few machines up folding, and maybe a handful of dual core P4s if they will ever turn in their WUs. I dunno if they are left on long enough to turn in on time, we will see.

10. OrovilleTim

OrovilleTim New Member

11. OrovilleTim

OrovilleTim New Member

Yet another bump, in case there are new folks that may be interested.

12. OrovilleTim

OrovilleTim New Member

Let's get motivated!

We've only got 5 active users right now. But, we are poised at breaking the top 1000 again. If we could get 5 more users active, I bet we could be up there again. Even if some of the inactive folks just turned their folding back on that could get us really moving again. Not to mention what would happen if a large amount of users were to install the client.

C'mon folks... let's climb up the scales and get noticed, while doing a good deed in the process! :thumbs:

13. kubel

kubel New Member

Got my Athlon X2 5000+ EE folding on both cores 24x7 (many times more powerful than my Athlon XP, and still more energy efficient- perfect for folding).

#133 kubel, Feb 12, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2008
  14. OrovilleTim

OrovilleTim New Member

As of this morning our team ranking is 1234 of 125648.

Thought the 1234 was kinda neat. We are still in the top 10% of all teams. Need more folks Folding though!

Tim

15. Keeper

Keeper New Member

Hi, I go by Keeper on the internet and am new to your board, so I don't want to cause problems but I do have to be doing the Lords work for me here on this earth.

I don't want to come across like a “God told me" nut case, but I have a mission to put the name of Jesus on the front page of Stanford’s secular Folding project.

I have a plan to do it and have come pretty close; team 31630 Nerds for Jesus is 225 in the rankings right now. I believe with some cooperation the name of Jesus could easily populate the entire front page if Christian teams begin working together.

Could the team captain contact me, until we were challenged by “The Godless Ones" I thought we were the only Christian team trying, it is refreshing to find out we are not alone.

Keep up the good work.

http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/team_summary.php?s=&t=31630

http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/team_summary.php?s=&t=34395

16. OrovilleTim

OrovilleTim New Member

More than a million!

BTW folks, as a team, we've broken 1,000,000 points!

Actually, we are sitting at 1,010,208 points right now. We're ranked at 1,284. Unfortunately I'm just not cranking out the production I used to be able to (my machines are either getting slower, or every else's are getting faster.)