1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Baptists and Creeds

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by natters, Dec 18, 2005.

1. natters

natters New Member

2. russell55

russell55 New Member

What? No one wants to tackle this question?

I have no problem with those creeds. We say the first two on occasion at my Baptist church, although not regularly.

Some people have problems with the "works" part of the Athanasian creed, although properly understood, there's not a problem with it.

3. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

properly understood

You mean like theotokos? (running for cover)

4. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

As I recall there's nothing particularly objectionable with the exception of the "descended into hell" part of the Apostles' Creed and Athanasian Creed.

The problem is more that they are "mere Christianity" ... lacking in some key areas. They don't go far enough to distinguish between true and false.

5. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    I prefer the Athanasian formulation of the Trinity to the creed itself.

As to the Apostles Creed, replace "descended into hell" with "descended to the dead" as many churches have done.

6. Humblesmith

Humblesmith Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nicea plus Constantinople make up the orthodox position on the person of Christ. There's no way that I know of to deny them and avoid heresy.

7. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

James talks about the creed Jews claimed as their faith and a genuine saving faith.

8. russell55

russell55 New Member

Exactly.

And the "works" part comes straight from Romans 4.

I think "descended to hell" is similar. I think it's a reference to Act 2:31 and it's meant to affirm that Christ really died. He went to the grave.

9. russell55

russell55 New Member

I think that's because they were formed to deal with specific heresies--the heresies the church was fighting against at that particular time in history. They weren't meant to inclusive of everything that's right to believe, but rather to exclude those who adhered to specific wrong doctrines that the church was wrestling with at that time.