1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Baptists and doctrine/eschatology

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Rebel1, Oct 18, 2017.

1. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    I really would like the OP to explain exactly which eschatological positions he considers to adopted from the Latin Rite and the Magisterial Reformers. Inquiring minds want to know.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    www.leroygarrett.org/restorationreview/article.htm?rr18_04/rr18_04b.htm&18&4&1976

"Our original founders, the four pillars of our Movement, were all Presbyterians: Thomas and Alexander Campbell, Barton W. Stone and Walter Scott. But the masses that came into our ranks during the first generation, 1809-1830, were not Presbyterians but Baptists."

"Hundreds of these Baptist churches....gradually imbibed 'Campbellism', as it was called, until they were no longer considered orthodox Baptist churches, and so they were dubbed 'Reformed Baptists'."

"These 'Reformed Baptists' finally lost all identification as Baptists and became known as 'Disciples of Christ', the name preferred by Alexander Campbell, but also as 'Church of Christ' and 'Christian Church'."

3. rsr

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Reformed Baptists," of course, was the label the Campbells used, but only briefly. The Baptists never referred to them as "Reformed Baptists" because they didn't think they needed reforming.

I am of an age that I can remember something verging upon hatred between the two parties, but mostly on the Campbellite side of the equation.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. David Kent

David Kent Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Could be. I have never belonged to one that is BU. It says they are congregational so I suppose you are correct.

5. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have also heard the term "Confessing Baptists."

6. rsr

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are you sure you're not confusing the Campbellite "Reformed Baptists" with the modern Calvinistic "Reformed Baptists" aka "Confessional Baptists?"

7. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've seen some pretewrism in virtually every Christian denom; more in some, less in others. It's kinda like KJVO, infecting most denoms, while more-prevalent in some than in others.

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Rebel1

Rebel1 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'll probably catch flack for this, but here are some: dispensationalism (as a system); futurism and preterism; penal substitution

9. Rebel1

Rebel1 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Totally agree with your last sentence!

10. David Kent

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not exactly true.

The Plymouth Brethren, most of them anyway, don't.
    Evangelicals don't. There are some over here who are called United Evangelicals that do, but they were originally called the Peculiar People.

Probably others that I can't think of at present.

11. David Kent

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In the past those that now all themselves Reformed Baptists were known as Particular Baptists, or Strict Baptist, or Strict and Particular Baptist. The 'strict' referring to strict, or closed communion.

There is a S&P a few miles from here at Canterbury. It is called Zoar Baptist and looks like a turret in the old city walls. It was originally a water supply for the Canterbury garrison.

Strict Baptists now mostly call themselves Grace Baptists. S&P would mostly be Gospel Standard Baptists.

12. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree. The concept did not start with John Nelson Darby but he did (with Scofield popularizing it) produce the entire systemization.

I disagree. Futurism, in the form of Chiliasm (ancient pre-millennialism) has been around since the early 2nd century AD.

Agree. But remember there were hints of preterism as early as the mid 4th century.

I disagree. It has been around a long, long time. Perhaps as early as the early 2nd century.

13. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, as both historical premil and penal substitution can be seen early on in some of the Ecf...

14. Rebel1

Rebel1 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    PSA was unknown in the early church and for 1500 years afterward. It is a perversion of God's character. If I had not discovered early church doctrine many years ago, and only knew about PSA, I wouldn't be a Christian today.

15. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is entirely wrong.
    PSA was very well known to the early Church Fathers and to those who came afterwards, though as with so many things, the truth became distorted as time went by.

16. Rebel1

Rebel1 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not going to argue with you. I have posted incontrovertible evidence that PSA was unknown in the church until the Magisterial Reformers introduced it.

If anyone doubts that, just do some research.

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Fascinating! Where have you posted this 'incontrovertible evidence? I seem to have missed it.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Rebel1

Rebel1 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Many places, in my past times here. Look, you will not change my mind, and I am not seeking to change yours. I found the truth decades ago, and it saved me for Christianity. I do not desire to argue about this.

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Right. This makes for a great discussion forum. :Rolleyes

• Like Like x 1
  20. Rebel1

Rebel1 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's just that I am beyond arguing, since February of this year. And I have had unpleasant experiences on forums. Besides, I think loving God and our fellow human beings is more important than what we think.

I have always enjoyed discussion, but many times on forums it turns into something nasty and personal.