1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Baptists and GK Chesterton

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Matthew Beech, May 31, 2017.

1. Matthew Beech

Matthew Beech New Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Could someone explain to me the Protestant fascination with Chesterton?

The man was a staunch Catholic that had no love for Protestantism.

I realize he was a great thinker, but there are many orthodox Christian thinkers that are Protestant, so why the love for ol' GK?

I find this especially puzzling for the Reformed Baptists that seem to have a serious love affair with him.

2. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Maybe for same reason so many love CS Lewis, even though far from being a conservative in theology/sciptures?
    Both were "good reads"

3. Matthew Beech

Matthew Beech New Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good reads, perhaps, but not something I would ever quote from the pulpit or even recommend.

Again, there are many "good reads" that are strong Protestant writers (Schaeffer, for instance). Why use someone who is not, for all intents and purposes, Christian?

As for CS Lewis, don't get me started. His "mere Christianity" has been taken to such an extent that it has damaged Christianity. For instance, justification has been so distorted that even the Catholic version is considered Christian (which it is far from).

That said, as far as I've read, Lewis was never hostile to Protestantism, whereas Chesterton was.

4. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Iagree with you on this, just saying that people at times are trying to take what they want, like bits and pieces!

5. Matthew Beech

Matthew Beech New Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Gotcha. Yeah, it seems like folks use them just to seem intellectual. I hate to sound so uncharitable, but that's my take.

6. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was talking with a Baptist fan of Chesterton's this past weekend. He said Orthodoxy is a must read.
    Matthew, you have to get out of the Baptist rut. There are many fine books by Baptists, but many other tomes by those
    who do not identify with them.

I haven't read the book myself yet. But I intend to do so in the near future. Moody's has a copy in print. Out of sheer curiosity you need to pick up and read.

7. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    2 netter ones would be Dr Schaffer and a Dr Mohler!

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Matthew Beech

Matthew Beech New Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hardly a Baptist rut. It's an orthodoxy thing. I have no problem with Presby, Baptist or none of the above. I have a problem using folks that aren't what would qualify as Christian by the standards put forth in scripture.

Schaffer, by the by, is Presby. Even Tozer, despite some of his mystical leanings, is fine by me. Heck, I don't agree with Wesley on a lot of things but find him a good Christian theologian. MacArthur, even as a dispy, is someone I could fully recommend. If I only read what I fully agreed with I'd only be reading my own stuff. ;)

As for reading them, I have no problem with that. I have Orthodoxy and Mere Christianity on my Kindle and started them, but I have a bad ADD problem with reading books. I tend to start them and then get side tracked by another book.

I find reading these writers (Chesterton, Lewis, or Greek philosophers) to be informative and they even have good ideas at times, but I would never quote or recommend them from the pulpit, let alone have some misplaced adoration for them. Perhaps I could recommend them to a Christian I know is strong in the faith, but not without a large caveat.

9. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Would suggest that both reformed and Baptists have had some good authors, reformed seem best for theology proper, and Baptisys good for practical application of truth in family, church, finances etc!

• Like Like x 1