1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Baptists (ladies) who wear head veils.

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by bensaved, Aug 1, 2003.

1. bensaved

bensaved New Member

Dearest Brethren,
    We are a Baptist family that is anabaptist in our expression. We do not make any kind of law out of our practice, but it is how we feel comfortible representing our Lord and Saviour. QUESTION: Do any of you know of any other Baptist peoples who cover or any churches that practice this? I would like to know. Thank you for your time and interest. May the Lord bless you.
    In His abiding faithfulness,
    Bro. Ben
    Head Veiling Baptists

2. Headcoveredlady

Headcoveredlady New Member

Just popped in and was so blessed to read your post. Yes, we are a headveiling practicing family. We have attended Baptist churches for many years.

Thanks for sharing your link, glad to see you. Yes, we have been blessed by Charity too!

PS. I won't be answering any debates on this issue, just wanted to encourage this brother.

3. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    We (my fiancee and now wife) did through courtship and early marriage. Great commendation to those who so opt.

4. Taufgesinnter

Taufgesinnter New Member

I attended such a church in Ohio awhile. Plain dress, veilings, COs to war and oaths, but staunchly Calvinistic.

BTW, have you had any contact with the Charity (Remnant) churches, or with the Moore County brotherhood (the group that puts out The Timely Truth )?

5. bensaved

bensaved New Member

Tauf,
    Yes we are familiar with Charity. I have spent some time with Bro. Denny and the brethren up there in PA as well as at some of the Charity churches here in TN. When you say Moore County brotherhood, are you refering to Moore County, TN? I know some of them, but never have made it down to their church to visit. I have an open invite from some of the families there. I also recently came in contact with some New Order Amish fold who have invited us. We want to check them out some time just to see what they're like.

HEAVDCOVERINGLADY (Who wrote above) thanks for the encouraging words, as well as you Bro. G. MAy the Lord bless you.

Ben

6. Taufgesinnter

Taufgesinnter New Member

Yes, Moore County, Tenn.

When I taught a university course on Amish society and culture, I took my students on a field trip to a New Order Amish Sunday morning service and we stayed briefly afterwards for lunch. A child or two stared at me because I could sing out of the Ausbund with everyone else and keep the old martyrs' tunes. And it turns out that of about ten to twelve families in the church, about five or six of them had been Yankees like you (i.e., "English" or Englischers).

7. Dan Todd

Dan Todd Active Member

Tell me some more about these New Order Amish folks.

I have come in contact with some Old Order Amish for the past year, and enjoy reading about, learning about, the Amish.

Dan Todd

8. Taufgesinnter

Taufgesinnter New Member

What would you like to know? Or would you care to start a new thread just on the Amish?

I can tell you that New Order Amish dress pretty much the same as the Old Order, still speak Deitsch, but use more English in their services (especially if Yankee visitors are present), drive horse and buggy, but often have either electricity or in-home phones. They are far more likely to have Bible studies, prayer meetings, Sunday schools, and pass tracts, and far less likely to drink or smoke. They typically teach assurance of salvation, which is a no-no for most Old Order, who see saying that you know you are saved as evidence of pride.

9. Dan Todd

Dan Todd Active Member

That is the type of info I wanted to know.

Some old order Amish have phones - in the rented milk house - in an building that looks like an outhouse but ain't - in a shed up in the woods where no one can see it, Etc.

What percentage of the New Order Amish would you say are born again?

Most estimates of truly saved Old Order are in the range of no more than 20%.

10. Taufgesinnter

Taufgesinnter New Member

Ah, you're talking about the ubiquitous phone shanty. That's because of the 1910 agreement regarding phones in the house. If the Old Order changed the rule they'd be admitting their ancestors' church was wrong. In some districts, the phone is in a cubby built onto the outside of the house next to a window, so they can reach it from inside. In most cases it's in a phone shanty by the road or in a barn or shop.

I've heard the estimate of 80% born again in the New Order and 80% not in the Old Order. I couldn't say exactly for the Beachy Amish (the "car Amish").

11. Dan Todd

Dan Todd Active Member

My Old Order friends would say that Beachy and New Order are not really Amish!!!

12. Taufgesinnter

Taufgesinnter New Member

Then you'd better not ask them whether they know who publishes Family Life magazine or the usually-used Amish school curricula.

13. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

What church was it, and where in Ohio?
    Gina

14. Taufgesinnter

Taufgesinnter New Member

What church was it, and where in Ohio?
    Gina
    </font>[/QUOTE]I'd rather not be too specific for the sake of my own privacy--I reveal lots of personal details on the Net, but they are carefully selected to avoid directly identifying me. I will say that it was long ago called Trinity Baptist Church and is east of you.

15. bensaved

bensaved New Member

My wife and I have been reflecting on how when we first started to fellowship with these plain groups how our IFB brethren said these people are working their way to Heaven, etc. I must say in their defense (and not all, no one has 100% saved membership) that I have met many wonderfully saved and spirit-filled plain brethren who have been teaching (waaaaaay far from arrival) me about their gentle passive ways. I (personally) am used to being a bombastic, go jump in the lake, kind of baptist. These brethren have taught me that I am to be gentle like Christ. Not that we shouldn't earnestly contend for the faith and stand up for truth and against error, but they have been an asset to my Christian testimony. To me, the emerging work of grace in these people who are coming from the Older Order groups is a marvelous work to see. We shoot ourselves in the foot when we avoid fellowshipping with other believers. Not that we shouldn't have our own strong system of doctrine and practice, but we should keep ourselves from painting everyone who "ain't in our CAMP" as unsaved. If there was bloody persecution (something we don't like to think about, who would be fellowship with then? Anyone who names the name of Christ in truth!

Ben

16. Walls

Walls New Member

Bensaved,

I too, would like to encourage you. We come from a Baptist background, believe in modest dress and are leaning towards head covering. We live in an amish community and we have learned alot. Our amish are not old or new, they just are. The cuss, drink and what not. Terrible shame! The only ones you can truly pick out in a crowd to be Christians are those that dress different and cover their head. And then to give that testimony in your actions is so sad.

To the other bro. that knows about new order amish. I had no idea they believed that way. We have some within 30 miles from us. Maybe we should check them out! Also, I do believe that they have true bonafide saved people in their communities. It is the same with all denominations,including Baptist. You have saved and unsaved.

17. bensaved

bensaved New Member

Dear Bro. or Sis. Walls,
    It especially nice to run into baptist peoples who practice the covering. It would be nice to know if you have a church that thinks like you do. If so, where. Drop me a line to let me know where you folks are in America, and if we ever pass through we could visit with your family. My address is as follows: [email protected] and here is the link to our page
    Evangelist Ben Smith home page
    May the Lord richly bless you and your family.

Bro.Ben