1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Baptists on Abortion/ Changes in Moral teaching

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by Born Again Catholic, Sep 21, 2003.

1. Born Again Catholic

Born Again Catholic New Member

Before reading resolution 6 of the SBC meeting in June 2003 I had assumed all major Baptists groups (SBC etc.) where always consistently against abortion no matter what. Are there any other other major Baptist groups which have been or are supportive abortion rights.

WHEREAS, Resolutions passed by the Southern Baptist Convention in 1971 and 1974 accepted unbiblical premises of the abortion rights movement, forfeiting the opportunity to advocate the protection of defenseless women and children; and

WHEREAS, During the early years of the post-Roe era, some of those then in leadership positions within the denomination endorsed and furthered the “pro-choice” abortion rights agenda outlined in Roe v. Wade; and

WHEREAS, Some political leaders have referenced 1970s-era Southern Baptist Convention resolutions and statements by former Southern Baptist Convention leaders to oppose legislative efforts to protect women and children from abortion; and.......

Thankfully this new resolution goes on to totally repudiate the previous older resolutions referenced above. And the SBC did a similar thing with racism.

Made me curious as to what other changes or flip-flops in moral teaching has occured for Baptists during the last 100 years. Are there things which Baptist find morally acceptable now that there grandparents or great-grand parents would't have accepted as being moral (ie How is divorced viewed, when is it acceptable has this view changed in the last 100 years.)

Thanks for you replies in advance.

2. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

There are some who would view any changeas bad even if it were the truth.

There were a number of pastors at the time who believed that life began when the baby was born and not before. But some of those same pastors have changed their views. They now realize the context of when it says God breathed into them the breath of life.

It was the Christians who supported Hitler early on. It was the Christians who tried to persecute Keil and Delitzsch for their belief in creation by God rather than evolution.

What you have stated shows how some if not many can be deceived.

Perhaps you know it was over the issue of slavery that formed the Southern Baptist Convention. They separated from the north.

Some refuse to believe the facts and just go on believing their ignorance. Some adopt the ways of the world and don't even realize it.

I don't really believe that you will find that many changes in what Southeern Baptists really believe. They are ruled by majority vote at the convention meeting. I have known a number of conservatives that don't even go to the convention because they are dushusted. It will also depend on where the convention is held. Sometimes i can be be so far waway for some that they choose not to go. All of us know that parts of the country are more conservative than others.