1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Baptists - Protestants

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Salty, Mar 17, 2010.

?
  1. Yes, we are

18 vote(s)
    31.0%
  2. No we are not

28 vote(s)
    48.3%
  3. Some groups, some are not

4 vote(s)
    6.9%
  4. Not sure

3 vote(s)
    5.2%
  5. Makes no difference

9 vote(s)
    15.5%
  6. other answer

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    By the way, folks, here is a linguistic note. The word "protestant" during the reformation did not mean, "someone who protests," but rather, "someone who witnesses."

2. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Lori is the same one who insisted that the CCC and the Council of Trent do not accurately reflect Catholic doctrines, so I'm not sure I'd take her musings on our religion very seriously when she doesn't even know her own.

I'll admit that I went through a phase where I would become deeply offended if someone called us Protestants (to this day, I have no idea why), but now I'm fine with it. In fact, I'm very proud of both.

3. donnA

donnA Active Member

theres a lot she doesn't know and makes it up as she goes along I believe. I wouldn't worry about anything she says, she has little understanding.

4. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

Protestant churches are those that were once part of the Catholic religion. Baptists were NEVER part of that religion. They were originally called Ana-Baptists, because they refused to baptize babies. The name was eventually changed to just Baptist.

5. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

Baptists came from the English separitist movement, which came from the Catholic church. There is no "unbroken line" of Baptists going back to Christ.

6. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not necessiarly, there are still Ana-baptists around - from Wikdpedia

from Global Anabaptist Encyclopedia

Rise and Fall of the Anabaptists

The AnaBaptists are violent - according to the Catholic Encylopedia

and one last link

To continue this discussion, please go to this link I started about the Ana Baptists

7. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I just said this same thing in the thread Salty started. It is a great point. Let's celebrate our argreement! :thumbsup:

8. Grace&Truth

Grace&Truth New Member

So are you saying that their were no NT churches throughtout church history until the English Separatist movement? I agree that one cannot see a unbroken line in the sense of "this church started this church that started this church etc." But if what you are saying were true (which I do not believe) then the gates of hell (the RCC) did prevail against Christ's Church for many hundreds of years. Also the name anabaptist was given to many churches that were also not true NT churches and were also persecuted as well as the true NT churches. But yes we can see through history that there were NT churches that did not conform to the RCC. Could you please explain who these churches were if they were not true NT churches (which were baptistic in doctrine)?

9. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Maybe we shouldn't worry so much about the organizational structure of the Church but those who comprised its many members...

10. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I'm not really sure. If we look back through history we have historical roots back to different protestant reformers. We have roots With Zwigli and the Ana-Baptist; we have roots with the Puritans attempting to purify the Anglican Church and have theology leaning towards Calvin accordingly John Smyth; and Some baptist seemed (like free will) influenced by Methodism. There are baptist related to Perry, Wroth, and Edbury from Mount Myrthen and Tydfyl in Wales arguably the first baptist. I believe these to be the very early baptist a compliation of reformers.

I utterly reject the landmarkist view as total fiction perpetrated by an over zealous preacher attempting to make direct lines to the apostles themselves with the baptist distinctives. I believe the truth of the story of christianity is on a faith evolving from infancy with only one agreed upon source of Authority. The Holy Scriptures. And each generation has interpret it in the way they understood it in the social, cultural context of their time and it is only a modern development that textual criticism takes its place.

Therefore the sermons I've heard saying that we need to get back to how it was in the early church is ridiculous in the sense that we can only go back and take on certain aspects. However, there is no real going back to the way it was since our culture, time, society, psychology, education, and man other factors have evolved and no longer resemble that early church. Nor do I think God wants us to go back but wants us to be faithful in the context with which we live. That doesn't change the truth of the scriptures. Nor does it change its morality, nor does it changes its inspiration as certain liberal scholars would like. No it maintains those things even as they were believed 2,000 years ago but in a context in which we find ourselves. The bible in that sense is timeless.

#30 Thinkingstuff, Mar 19, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2010
  11. donnA

donnA Active Member

they were called anabaptsts because they rebaptized adult believers (plus refusing to baptize babies), ana-baptist means to rebaptize.

http://www.answers.com/topic/anabaptist

12. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    So are you saying Baptists are Heinz 57 variety! :smilewinkgrin: :saint:

13. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Yep pretty much.

14. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As a former Catholic and now a Christian of Baptist persuasion, I don't want to be know as a "Protestant" but if anything I am a "Separatist".

I didn't leave the Church of Rome under protest, I separated from it:

2 Corinthians
    16 And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.
    17 Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you,
    18 And will be a Father unto you, and ye shall be my sons and daughters, saith the Lord Almighty.​

HankD​

15. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

I hope we all understand the implications of the view that Baptists did not exist until the Reformation.

It implies that there were no true New Testament churches prior to the Reformation. And further, if there were, Baptists were not.

It also implies that God was unable to preserve that which Jesus established during his ministry, and in fact, the gates of Hell did prevail against it.

We weren't known as Baptists until about 400 years ago, but it defies logic to say that there were no groups like us until then.

16. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

Well said, my friend!!!

Times change, I went to a Presbyterian Seminary way back when and we were taught that many of the Baptist didn't come out of the reformation movement.

17. donnA

donnA Active Member

exactly, apparently God failed to maintain the church until after the reformation.