1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Baptists = Protestants?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Salty, Mar 16, 2013.

?
  1. No, a true Baptist can trace lineage to the FBC of Jerusalem

2 vote(s)
    4.4%
  2. No, a true Baptist can trace lineage to the New Test times

3 vote(s)
    6.7%
  3. No, though not a direct lineage - there have always been baptistic churches

11 vote(s)
    24.4%
  4. Possibly Baptist churches in Europe did

1 vote(s)
    2.2%
  5. Somewhat - individuals of the Reformation eventually started Baptist churches

13 vote(s)
    28.9%
  6. Yes, at least in the US, Baptists came out of the Congregational Church

5 vote(s)
    11.1%
  7. Its not even an issue

1 vote(s)
    2.2%
  8. Not Sure

2 vote(s)
    4.4%
  9. Other answer

7 vote(s)
    15.6%
  1. Bro. James

Bro. James Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Praise the Lord for your input, Bro. Butler. According to the survey 66% are confused regarding Baptists and Protestants.

There are several still willing to stand up for our heritage--regardless of the opposition.

Even though the tempest is raging, our anchor will hold to the Solid Rock.

Even so, come Lord Jesus.

Bro. James

#21 Bro. James, Mar 17, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2013
  2. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Cardinal Hosius, writing in the sixteenth century, admits that (credo)baptists were long persecuted by the RCC, and then by the 'Reformers' too:

"there shall be no faith more certain and true, than is the Anabaptists', seeing there be none now, or have been before time for the space of these thousand and two hundred years, who have been more cruelly punished, or that have more stoutly, steadfastly, cheerfully taken their punishment, yea or have offered themselves of their own accord to death, were it never so terrible and grievous. Yea in Saint Augustin his time, as he himself sayeth, there was a certain monstrous desire of death in them. . . . Neither was there such foolish hardy heretics in Saint Augustine his time only. For four hundred years ago, at what time St. Bernard lived, there were Anabaptists, which were no less prodigal to spend their life, then were the Donatists, some (saith he) did marvel that they were led to their deathe not only patiently but as it semed very frolic and merry.
    ...If you behold their cheerfulness in suffering persecutions, the Anabaptists run far before all other heretics. If you will have regard to the number, it is like that in multitude they would swarm above all other, if they were not grievously plagued and cut off with the knife of persecution. If you have an eye to the outward appearance of godliness, both the Lutherans and the Zwinglians must needs grant, that they far pass them.
    ...And surely how many so ever have written against this heresie, whether they were Catholics or Heretics, they were able to overthrow it not so much by the testimony of the scriptures, as by the authority of the Church."

3. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Would say that baptists were called that at a definite time/place in history, but that we were not really properily among the reformers/protestants, as our basic tenats/beliefs were being followed in early NT churches in Apostolic age, but were not officially labeled "baptist!"

4. Michaelt

Michaelt Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am a disciple and follower of Jesus Christ.

I am part of and worship at a Baptist Church.
    I don't really consider myself a "baptist", although many would consider that splitting hairs. :)

5. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    neither did Jesus and His merry men, but they were definite "baptist" in regards to doctrines!

That would be an interesting discussion, can one be a baptist in doctrine, and yet not attend a formally known baptist church?

6. Michaelt

Michaelt Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Interesting thought. You said that "they were definite "baptist" in regards to their doctrine". Would it not be more accurate to say that "baptists" conform to their doctrine, than them conforming to baptist doctrine? Historically, they were here before any baptists, yes? Well, except John the Baptist... LOL

7. 12strings

12strings Active Member

I doubt you can call that group congregational...It was definitely led by a single Bishop/Overseer, with no congregational votes!!! Jesus regularly overrode their "Soul competency" and told them they were wrong, and I don't think we have records of the Disciple's Baptisms...

...Also, they used wine for communion!

8. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Definitely not Baptist! :smilewinkgrin:

Excellent statement

9. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hard to have room for any other titles in their group though, as Jesus already had taken those for prophet/priest/King! Also in in Lord and messiah, pretty much covered!

10. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    indeed, for we baptists would see ourselves as being the closest church group to what the "NT Church" really taught was practiced from the Apostles!

11. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

You can't a) estbalish a singular, normative polity for church governance out if the NT, b) trace baptist(ic) groups back to Jesus ministry, or c) consider the relationship of Jesus and His disciples as an example of ecclesiology.

Please stop making silly statements.

12. 12strings

12strings Active Member

It seems there was never a perfect Baptistic church...even the Anabaptists were often shaky on Justification by faith, Christ's true humanity, the goodness of material things, and had tendancies toward charismatic practice.

I guess we Baptists don't have that perfect pedigree we wish we did.

13. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm a Baptist but I'm not a protestant. What I believe did not come out of the Catholic church. I do not protest the Catholic church because what they believe has no effect on what I believe.
    According to some of the earliest Church fathers. I hold many of their beliefs which includes freewill.
    MB

14. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

15. quantumfaith

oops....definitely not baptist. :)

16. quantumfaith

I am a protestant who worships as a baptist.

17. quantumfaith

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

18. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    but can point to that on the basis of both practices/doctrines, the early NT church under the Apostles leadership were "baptist like", even if not "real baptist!"

19. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    European separatists

20. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Yea, that's empty rhetoric.

That's like saying, "We are not baptists- we are what we have always been in all ages, the Church of our Lord Jesus Christ."

It's silly.

We have a lineage.

To act otherwise is silly.