1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Baptists Should Only Marry Baptists

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by ktn4eg, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Thousand Hills

Thousand Hills Active Member

I'm pretty sure I went to school with a girl named Penelope Paedobaptist, she set behind me in Algebra :tonofbricks:

2. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

A Baptist should only marry a Baptist? Are you referring to the 60% of members on church rolls that that never darken the doors except Christmas, Easter, pot luck day? Oh yes, I see your point, that would be a much better basis for marriage than marrying a conservative Presbyterian that attends church.

Also, we know it is a great standard to follow since Mormons are only suppose to marry Mormons.

3. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

LOL, where do these people come from?

4. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Mid-tribulation :smilewinkgrin:

Seriously, in a marriage, a couple should have much in common - especially if those activities are a major part of their life.

For example, if Tom wants to go camping 3 out of 4 weekends and for a full 2 weeks during the summer, then Betty better enjoy the outdoor life.

If Susan loves to to be involved is three different charities that each meet at least twice a month - than Jim may want to be involved in at least one of them

Likewise, it is important that a (committed) Baptist only marry a committed Baptist - otherwise there will be ample situations for problems to arise

Marriage is hard - the more major things you have in common, than it will make things much easier.

I think one problem is that folks tend to get married way too soon - ie without sufficient time to really get to know each other. Suppose you met someone at a Valentines banquets - had a great courtship for 7 months - then comes Christmas and you find out he flatly refuses to have a Christmas tree in your home...... now what...... (and there are Christians who believe that way)

I could go on but....

5. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

I can only speak for my story. I have been married 35 years. We met in February 77, and got married in August of the same year. I was Presbyterian, she was Baptist. I was a staunch Republican, she a Democrat.. I never noticed any problems in regards to the differences. I do not remember any knock down drag out fights over elections or method of Baptism. Two years after marriage, I joined a Baptist church. Today, she is still a Democrat (conservative) and I belong to the Constitution Party. I believe the Lord leads you to your spouse and works out all the details, not a computer analysis from E Harmony.

6. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are always execptions....

7. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

LOL, I think everyone married has their days to make them wonder. I remember years ago after becoming a Baptist, a deacon walked up to me and said, "I have been married fifty years, and we have never had a cross word." I did not say what was on my mind. I just nodded by head and walked away.

8. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

Thanks for the link, but you have misunderstood me, I'm afraid. I wasn't asking what The Trail of Blood was, or where I could find the book. No, I was replying to the statement made by PreachinJesus when he or she said: "This kind of Trail of Blood teaching is ridiculous." Now it may well be that J. M. Carroll included in his book the idea that baptists should only marry baptists; if that is the case, I would have made my post more understandable if, instead of: "Is it Trail of Blood thinking, though?" I had written something like: "Is such thinking unique to the book 'The Trail of Blood'?" Apologies for being unclear before.

9. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

Weren't they his babies too?

10. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

There are divisions even amongst baptists. Some are reformed, some are of the FW persuasion. Some even hold told tongues. Some are dispies, and some are amils. So just because you married someone who is baptist, doesn't mean you'll be in complete harmony.

11. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Very True! and this should be considered.

12. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, no - I don't think he is right. First of all, I think I know what he means by "born-again Baptist", but I'm not sure. When I was born again, I wasn't born again into a Baptist church, but into the kingdom of God.

There are more flavors of Baptist than there are flavors of ice-cream.

Even in the same exact congregation of Baptists you are going to have people who don't see 100% eye-to-eye on every single issue.

I think the question would be do you and your future spouse believe the same in the areas that count - God, Jesus, the Holy Spirit, salvation, and spiritual growth.

And I think just as big an issue would be do you and your spouse have a compatible spiritual walk. I could not marry a man who did not have a consistent prayer life or personal Bible study time and who did not attend church regularly.

There are least a dozen women in my Baptist church who married good old Baptist boys, but the wives and children come to church alone. Every Sunday.

I'm not sure that marrying a Baptist just so you can attend the same church or just because he or she is a Baptist for Baptist's sake is going to ensure being equally yoked together.

I've never in my whole life considered that a man worthy of marriage had to be a Southern Baptist. Sure - it MIGHT make things easier, but there is no guarantee that we would even believe the same in some areas that don't affect fundamental doctrine.

That's evidenced hereat the BB in that fact that there are Christians who all share the Baptist nametag, but whose personal beliefs about almost everything are as varied as can be.

13. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Just to clarify my view on this, I don't think it is sin to marry someone of a different denom, but the more things that a couple has to overcome, the harder the relationship is going to be. I don't believe Baptists will be the only ones in heaven. :)

14. govteach51

govteach51 New Member

My grandmother was Baptist, my grandfather Cumberland Presbyterian. They went to CP at 8:45, alternated SS then walked across the street to the Baptist Church at 11....They were married 50 years....Nope, it didn't work out...:laugh:

15. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    (bold my emphasis)

Why did they alternate SS? That is exactly one of the points of this discussion!

Here in Syracuse there are two small colleges. Lemoyne and OCC. Suppose Grandma and Grandpa took a Science class, both schools offered the same course, but they went to classes at Lemoyne on Mon, and to OCC on Thurs.
    That makes a lot of sense, doesn't it.

16. govteach51

govteach51 New Member

Salty, I do not know, and my Mom who went to the SS classes couldn't answer it either. ( The question was asked before.)

17. Thousand Hills

Thousand Hills Active Member

A sad, but true story related to the OP......

From the AP

A Tennessee Woman Faces Contempt Charges, Jail Time For Baptizing Her Children

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) — A Shelby County mother is facing contempt-of-court charges and possible jail time for baptizing her two children without the knowledge or consent of her ex-husband.

This week the Tennessee Court of Appeals said Lauren Jarrell must face a criminal contempt hearing for violating a court order that said major decisions regarding the religious upbringing of her two children should be made jointly with her-ex-husband.

The mother and her ex-husband, Blake Jarrell, are both Christian — he's a Methodist and she's a Presbyterian.

Court records say the father thought the children should be baptized once they are older. He has asked that his ex-wife be found in criminal contempt for baptizing the children without his knowledge or permission.

If convicted, she could face 20 days in jail and a $100 fine

18. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    She is not guilty of having the children baptized, but rather making a major decision without the consent of her ex.
    There is a difference.

19. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

Yes, both Methodists and Presbyterians practice paedobaptism, so this situation is quite different to one where one parent belongs to a baptistic church holding to credobaptism, and the other is a member of a paedobaptist church.

20. ChristianLady1978

ChristianLady1978 New Member

Exactly! I agree with you, Amy. :)