1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Baptists Undertake Theological Dialogue with Pentecostals

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Jerome, Jun 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

You don't know anything about me. Come on over to Charleston and get to know me; You're only about 65 miles from me. See if you can muster the courage to come out from behind your fake screen name.

2. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

I'm saying anyone using worldly tactics and power plays is wrong.

3. Steadfast Fred

Steadfast Fred Active Member

Actually you don't hold to the Baptist Distinctives. At least two of them you reject.

Salvation by grace alone through faith alone - You reject this when you say a person can be saved without even knowing Christ.

There are only two offices in the Baptist denomination... and archbishop is not one of them.

4. Steadfast Fred

And how do you propose to settle the differences? Boxing gloves?

Sorry, I'll pass.

by the way, I do know quite a lot about you. Think about Fred's in your past. Then wonder how they know about Vicie, Bobbie, Connie and other family members. You obviously know where Boyle is. When you figure out who I am, you make the trip.

#84 Steadfast Fred, Jun 13, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2012
  5. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

Actually, I thought that in person you might not be [edit] hiding behind your screen name.

#85 Michael Wrenn, Jun 13, 2012
  6. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

Try telling these people they are not Baptist: http://fullgospelbaptist.org/

7. Steadfast Fred

I am not hiding behind my screen name. The admins know my real name. I had to give it when I asked to join the board.

They are the only ones that need to know my full name.

#87 Steadfast Fred, Jun 13, 2012
  8. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

They have a bishop, not a pastor.
    They believe in all the "gifts of the Spirit," including speaking in tongues.
    In fact their emphasis is on the these so-called gifts.
    Just because you put the name "Baptist" on your church building doesn't make you Baptist.

I certainly would tell them that they are not Baptist, do not hold to Baptist distinctives, and should take the name "Baptist" out of their name. They are "Full Gospel," as in the FGA, or Pentecostal. But they are not Baptist. Rather, they embarrass or shame the Baptist name.

9. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Has this thread reached 10 pages? Since no "light" is shown, only immature name-calling and inunendo, I am pulling the plug tonight.

And will pull the plug on page 1 if some malcontent tries to continue this direction of talk.

10. Steadfast Fred

They, like you, have taken a title that they should not have.

Look at their distinctives. Those are not Baptist distinctives. The Baptist distinctives do not include 'speaking in tongues.'

11. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

What you do hold is NOT Baptist!

Baptists are not so ecumenical and so accommodating on so many varied doctrines. You can't be very dogmatic on the Scriptures in order to accommodate all the varied backgrounds.

Such hierarchy is not Baptistic at all.

I thought you were Baptist. This says you follow Quakers, Celtics, and Anabaptists or Mennonites. There aren't Baptists here.

This has nothing to do with the Baptist faith.

Baptists are neither ecumenical nor interdenominational.

Wesley was the founder of the Methodists, not the Baptists. "The root of Christianity" can mean almost anything. This is a very general statement.

We affirm the Biblical view. :rolleyes:

We don't!!

It is what you believe that doesn't make you Baptist. Defend Baptist all you want. But you don't fall within the parameters of "Baptist" IMO.

http://www.celtic-anabaptist-ministries.com/principles.html

#91 DHK, Jun 13, 2012
  12. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

They are indeed Baptist. They also do NOT hold the Pentecostal view and practice of the gifts.

Just because you would deny them as Baptists doesn't make it so, fortunately.

13. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

Neither do they exclude it.

14. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

And your opinion is wrong because I affirm Baptist distinctives, freedoms, and principles.

I am glad you are not the arbiter of who is and isn't Baptist in their beliefs.

15. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

D) We believe in speaking in tongues, as our heavenly language, that builds us up in our most holy faith. Tongues is an indicator, not a qualifier.
    (Jude 20, Acts 19:2-6; Acts 2:1-4; 1 Cor 14:14-15)

Then what does that mean. I don't know any Baptist church that believes that way!

16. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

You can tell me that all you want, Michael.
    But the above is proof that you are not a Baptist. Anyone simply has to read through to see how they deny Baptist distinctives.

17. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

Did you overlook this? VIII. We believe in Jesus Christ as the Baptizer with the Holy Spirit, who brings men and women at salvation into relationship with Himself and His Body, the Church. We further believe that it is the baptism of the Holy Ghost that places one into the Body of Christ. All Believers have been baptized by Christ with the Holy Ghost (Matthew 3:11; John 1:33; I Corinthians 12:13).

Also this: B) The baptism of the Holy Ghost occurs once and for all at salvation.

They believe that the gift of tongues is operative today, but they don't believe or practice it like the Pentecostals do; their definition of baptism in the Holy Spirit is as Baptists believe that, not Pentecostals.

18. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

It is important to note that there have been a great variety of Baptists throughout the ages and there are only a handful of specific distinctives which clearly identify and demarcate Baptists from other groups.

In recent years this distinguishing has become more difficult, but it is still possible. Maybe all that to say that if someone is a member at a church with Baptist in their title that should meet the requirements of the board for being, well Baptist, just as someone who is part of a church that is Baptist in polity and distinctives but has withdrawn Baptist from their name.

The tent for what is baptist is certainly a wide one...historically speaking.

19. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

So, one cannot deny Calvinism, affirm Christus Victor, and deny inerrancy and be a Baptist? One cannot use reason, or look at what the early church taught and believed, or use experience as secondary sources and be Baptist? That is just not true.

About inerrancy, I hesitate to ascribe that word to anything or anyone but God. In the same way, I don't thing humans should allow themselves to be called "reverend" -- these things should be used to describe or refer to God alone.

20. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

I appreciate your voice here. I am feeling quite alone. Of course anything you say that might seem to support me opens you up to ridicule.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.