1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Barabbas

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by HAMel, Nov 16, 2014.

1. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Barabbas is referenced by Matthew as a "notorious prisoner". A riotous person by Mark and Luke. He was a "bandit". A robber. Anti-Rome. A revolutionary.

Barabbas had been arrested by Rome and sentence was passed perhaps that he would die like so many others..., by crucifixion. We know that Jesus was placed between two thieves and perhaps..., Barabbas was supposed to have been the third one that day but, Pilate released this Barabbas as it was a custom during Passover and, because of the demands from those who wanted Jesus of Nazareth crucified.

Interestingly enough, the Bar, in Bar-abbas means, "of the Father". Some early Biblical Scholars believed that Barabbas's first name was also "Jesus". Accordingly, we should all know what "abba" refers to, the Father.

Jesus of Nazareth (early on) was Jesus Barabbas..., but of course, His Father is the God of Heaven. It's been speculated the first name of the criminal, Barabbas, was dropped so as to not be confused with Jesus of Nazareth.

For sure, our Lord Jesus died on the cross for even the likes of a criminal such as Barabbas. I wonder if he ever realized his opportunity?

2. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    13 The God of Abraham, and of Isaac, and of Jacob, the God of our fathers, hath glorified his Servant Jesus; whom ye delivered up, and denied before the face of Pilate, when he had determined to release him.
    14 But ye denied the Holy and Righteous One, and asked for a murderer to be granted unto you,
    15 and killed the Prince of life; whom God raised from the dead; whereof we are witnesses. Acts 3

Therefore shall they eat of the fruit of their own way, And be filled with their own devices. Pr 1:31

Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap. Gal 6:7

And as for me also, mine eye shall not spare, neither will I have pity, but I will recompense their way upon their head. Ezek 9:10

They didn’t get away with it. The Holy Spirit convicted them of the crime through the mouths of His witnesses and recompensed that generation with tribulation such as had never been seen before or ever will be. They released a seditious murderer and killed Christ, it was exactly seditious murderers from among their own selves that inflicted such grievous destruction upon them 40 years later.

3. T Alan

T Alan New Member

two questions come to mind.
    1. (Jesus was crucified between two thieves and perhaps.... )
    Are you referencing the teaching of more than 2?
    2. (Jesus the Nazerine was formerly known as "Jesus Barabbas)
    Where in Scripture do you see this? I have missed it.

4. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    By all accounts I'm aware of, Jesus would have been known as

Yeshua bar Yosef
    Joshua son of Joseph

Scripture also attests to the fact that He was also known as son of David. And Yeshua was a shorter alternative to Yehoshua. So possibly

Yehoshua bar David

#4 JamesL, Nov 28, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2014
  5. T Alan

T Alan New Member

nice, thanks jamesL

6. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You're welcome, T Alan

I edited my previous post, had a typo - Yeshoshua.......Edited it to Yehoshua

If we were to really Americanize it, we might call Him......Joshua Davidson

#6 JamesL, Nov 28, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2014