1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Barack Obama says he registered for the draft??????

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by betterthanideserve, Sep 9, 2008.

1. betterthanideserve

betterthanideserve New Member

LOL! Been there done that have you served? If so what branch? I was a 46250 Weapons Mechanic USAF #2 man 357 TFG in Tucson AZ,1975-1978 where you in? or still in diapers?

2. North Carolina Tentmaker

Lets see, 75 to 78, I would have been in elementary school:laugh:

My turn came later, I was in the Army 89-92, 24th ID, Desert Storm. I think we were in Iraq a total of about 10 days and half of that was after the cease fire. Wish we could have gotten out that fast this time.

3. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Maybe Sen. Obama had to go back a repeat a grade. :rolleyes:

Uh, wouldn't age 19 have been after high school?? Get real, people.

It's not like there was an arrest line ordering one to register the day after one received their HS diploma. I had to register in another era (sometime around 1965-1966), for I received first a I-S, deferrment in High School, then a II-S deferrment in college, but I have absolutely no idea exactly when that registration took place.

How many of you know the exact date you "registered for the Draft", to use the exact words most of us used, even though we were registering with the Selective Service System?

And I'm pretty sure most were not registering for the purpose of "getting drafted into the Army."

Ed

4. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

FTR, and I am no big fan of Sen. Obama, and see very little liklihood that I would ever vote for him as President (Sen. McCain and Rep. Barr are not exactly overwhelmingly better, and Prof. Nader is worse, IMO. Thank goodness for 'minor' minor parties, for more real choices, when Election Day finally gets here.), but there was about a ten day window, for his age group, when SS registration was re-instituted, before he turned 19, in which he may have registered, so unless one happens to know what day on which he actually registered, I consider this as guesswork, at best.

Oh yeah, for those who happen to be 'logic challenged', this would all still be after high school. :rolleyes:

Let's look at both Sen. McCain and Sen. Obama (and all the rest) for what they have done in the last several years, and where they stand, and get something of real substance, to support or not support, as opposed to some stupid speculation about minutiae from their teen-age years.

I'm fairly sure one can still find more than enough over the last couple of decades, on which to base his or her decision. [Scowl!]

Ed

5. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

I know we had to sign up with the draft board in the 50's my son had to in the 80's and the kid next door did it last year. I could be wrong, but I don't recall a time when you didn't have to.

6. betterthanideserve

7. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't remember the exact date, but I do remember registering in the three month window you can register early before your 18th birthday.

8. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

9. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I was in the 3655 Maint Battalion and we went to camp Roberts in California preparing to deploy. I'm glad it ended as quickly as it did and like you, I wish this one could have been the same.

10. betterthanideserve

11. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is This Not Another Attempt to SMEAR Obama?

I thought for sure that some of you would be on this post author for trying to make Obama out as an untrue person. Or do you just blame certain people of smearing Obama, while others get a pass? That is the question of the day when it comes to this OP, or is it?

Pastor Paul:type:

12. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

In other words, you think this is just another irresponsible attempt to smear Obama. Is that correct?

13. betterthanideserve

Pastor Paul,
    You ought to know by now that I take my share of criticism. This is in no way an attempt to smear Obama,any more that my past and future attempts to hold both McCain as well as Obama's feet to the fire ,along with all other candidates for president.
    I care too much for the country to pick any one candidate to rail against. I think though that we will all be held accountable for what we don't do along with what we do to present things in a clear and concise manner so good choices can be taken.
    Please see my quote at the bottom of this post, I mean what I say and if I say what I mean and it offends some,oh well . We can't accomplish much without stirring the waters.

By the way RD what is your posistion on the coming north american union and the new world order? For? or against?

#33 betterthanideserve, Sep 12, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2008
  14. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

Correct! Further, the Selective Service System was established in 1940 - it's been in effect a long time now. Obama followed the law by registering. I think he told the truth. His local draft board would have the facts. With the all volunteer military it's very unlikely he'd have been called to service but it's still possible which is why we still have the registration process.

15. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Back to U...

I know you were reporting the news, and I didn't mean to step on your toes...as for the coming NAU, there is nothing we can do to stop the NAU. I may get a lot of rebuttals, but, I honestly believe the NAU is the will of God, as we move closer to Armageddon. Of course, this IMHO. But, many scholars believe America is not mentioned in the prophesies concerning the last days, and the fact that we become the NAU, and the possibility that the NAU will hook up with the EU to make us stronger, would fit the prophesy about the 10 countries to the North or Israel.

What is going to happen will happen, regardless of our prayers and our desire to stand against it. The Lord is coming back, and prophecies must be fulfilled, which means if the NAU is part of prophesy, than so be it.

You and I have more important things to be doing, and that is planting the seed of the Word of God, making disciples of men and women. Go Gospel!

Blessings to you my brother, and keep up doing what you see as right for the Kingdom of God.

Pastor Paul

16. betterthanideserve

RD2,
    I agree with you on all points,and if I seemed defensive I apologize.
    I think that your right ,God will have his way on earth,my concern is that there are so many sleeping Christians. I'm not trying to stop the NAU as much as I'm trying to let folks know that it is coming,I agree that America isn't spoken of in Revelation/ end time prophecy.
    I was wondering though whether or not you were playing the "devil's advocate" now I know you and I are on the same page,so thanks for clarifying.
    God Bless ,BTID
    :thumbs:

17. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You Were NOT Defensive

I was playing the role of advocate, and am sorry for singling your article out. However, it allowed us to connect, spiritually, and that was a positive thing.

Take a look at my web page, and let me know what you think. I too am trying to wake up believers. I was once sleeping in sin, and glad to be back. My third book will directly address the issue of why Christians are sleeping on the job, and why they need to get back to work.

Pastor Paul:type:

18. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

But Brother Ed,

BHO did not say that he signed up for the draft "after high school." If I remember correctly he said, "I registered for the draft at age 18 when I graduated from high school." However, the facts are that there was no way for him to have registered for Selective Service during that time frame and under those circumstances. He would have been required to register within a given time period (depending on his birth date) during the summer of 1980 when he was 19 years old.

Now the question of bad memory or the inability to recall exact details from one's late teen years has been raised. All can I say to such questions is that I turned 18 in August 1982. I registered for Selective Service within the 30 day time frame following my 18th birthday as required by the law. If BHO had said that he registered for Selective Service within the time frame required by the law for his age group we would not be having this discussion. However, he did not do so. Instead he chose to paint a picture and supplied details that simply can not be true. How many gaffes (and/or mis-spoken ideas) do we have to ignore from him before we start to question him?

19. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well he is fuzzy about a lot of details as evidenced here:

http://www.baptistboard.com/showthread.php?t=53038

20. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Have you been through law school, state and US senate since then?

I imagine he has far more in the forefront of his mind that what year he turned 18.