1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Barack Obama

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by thjplgvp, Oct 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thjplgvp

thjplgvp Member

2. dispen4ever

dispen4ever New Member

Family values? He supports abortion on demand, same-sex marriages, homosexuality as a civil right, federal control of just about anything you can imagine, the federal government as a primary employer ..

Hillary will neutralize his bid for president by naming him her vice-presidential choice. Blacks across the USA will rejoice and vote for them, remembering that Bill Clinton was "the first black president," and in an effort to offset "werfer" inroads being made by Hispanics.

3. thjplgvp

thjplgvp Member

Family Man?

When I said family values I was referring to his relationship with his wife and daughters. I am aware that one seldom sees complete truth from a politician on either side of the fence but the interview seemd fairly straight forward which is why I posted the question here on the forum.

Thank you for you insight.

Thjplgvp

4. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

And I suppose the purpose of your quote was to contrast the democrats with the Christlike republicans. You really need to wake up, one is as bad as the other, they are both self serving power hungry thieves, with different names, ie democrat and republican.

5. UnchartedSpirit

UnchartedSpirit New Member

so for all political posts on BB lead to the only solution to our political gorge is for a second civial war in the U.S to occur

6. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    No need for another civil war but our national government does appear to be broken.

7. UnchartedSpirit

UnchartedSpirit New Member

oh, so we're needing an entire coup?

8. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Barak Obama (which one is the first name, and which one is the last name again?) does seem pretty smart and sharp to me, too.
    My only beef is that like every politician, Rep or Dem, he talks a lot of "taking congress back", like that was the primary thing.
    So he's not yet "up there" in our books (wife, myself, and all voters in the family).
    Oh, yeah, he may be liberal in some areas where Christians would rather prefer "conservatism", but, hey, wouldn't you want somebody who's liberal in his moral views but firm, resolute, and savvy in his governance, over one who is conservative in his views but flip-floppy and downright lousy in governance ?
    I used to think just straight conservative, but then, after this Bush thing and the way he and most Republicans played Christians, I figure these politicians did not redeem any sinner, and will never in a million years turn this dirty world into a redeemed, unfallen world.
    They are fallen creatures, like you and me, living in a fallen world, so votes for them shouldn't count in factors like "is he a one-woman man, or is he not for girlie-men, or does he think it's okay to kill babies" ?
    I think we ought to rather look at a guy's track record.
    Did he do his past jobs well ? Did he put the people's and country's welfare above the party's lines ?
    I don't care if he's black, white, yellow, red, blue, or gold, or if he walks with his forearm crooked to his side with his wrists bent, or if he has hips like Jane Mansfield's swiveling like Elvis' when he walks.
    However, if there is a candidate out there for Councilman, Congressman, Senator or President, who is Mr. Moral Values and Patriotism rolled up into one, my goodness, let's go for him/her.
    But at the way things are going, I think that is wishful thinking.

(Crawling back to my foxhole now, guys)

9. hillclimber1

hillclimber1 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Yes he is a Democrat, and these are some of their values. None of these values are acceptable to the Republicans. If you call yourself a Democrat, (not refering to anyone specifically here) and a Christian, how can that be? Please help me understand. Is it the old time belief that the Dem's stood for the working man and tradition requires your fidelity? Are you staying in, in hopes of changing it?

I know the Republican party is not angelic, but its values are far closer to those God expects. Our only option as believers is to vote for the direction that The Lord would have the nation go. I can't even vote for the man anymore because the balance in Congress is too delicate. Beside the fact that a good man that is a Democrat, should not continue as one IMHO. And I know not one that's in power.

10. Daisy

Daisy New Member

[joke]Obama Imperils Democrats' Losing Tradition, Party Members Fear

Dean Reassures Dems: 'We Can Still Screw This Up'

The sudden ascendancy of Illinois Sen. Barack Obama has many Democratic Party regulars afraid that a White House win by the charismatic politician would destroy a losing tradition that has taken years to build, Democratic leaders confirmed today.

Across the country, polls showing Sen. Obama to have rising appeal across a broad spectrum of likely voters have rattled the nerves of longtime Democrats, who take pride in their party's record of futility in presidential elections.

"This is the party of Dukakis and Mondale, Kerry and McGovern," said longtime Democrat Carol Foyler, who still sports a "Kucinich in '04" bumper sticker on the back of her Saturn. "We have worked long and hard to build that losing record and we are not prepared to pour it down the drain."

Ms. Foyler said that if Sen. Obama were to win the White House in 2008, "such longtime Democratic traditions as concession speeches, finger-pointing, and clinical depression would be a thing of the past."

Perhaps in response to the concerns of party loyalists like Ms. Foyler, Democratic National Committee chairman Howard Dean gave a speech today to reassure Democrats that even if Sen. Obama is nominated, "We as Democrats can still find a way to screw this up."

"If it looks like we're going to win, I make you this promise," Mr. Dean said. "I will open my piehole and shoot our chances to hell."
    [/joke]
    Source: Andy Borowitz (linkie)

11. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Amen, Pinoybaptist, preach it! :applause:

12. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

THGLP

The pantagraph was my hometown paper growing up (Normal, Il. - was shocked to see a reference to it.

The Dallas Morning News had an op ed column on Obama this morning, basically complaining that he has spent too much time on the cover of fashion magazines and has not really articulated any positions. Of course they are afraid that he will steal Hillary's thunder so....

He was impressive at the DNC - but he is a smoker, smoked grass and has admitted to doing a bit of blow at one time - this will not go over well in the fly over states - there will be questions about his drug use and when it stopped.

13. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

Well, as a former conservative now tracking more and more liberal, I will try.

I don't see war as a spiritual gift.

I don't think the government has any right deciding who can get married, because from a secular standpoint, it is not a moral issue but a civil rights and taxation issue. Deciding who can and cannot get married is the church's job.

I think being against abortion and for the death penalty is hypocritical. I think that killing babies is wrong, but I also understand that there are situations in which it is unavoidable, and perhaps even the better of bad choices. Thus the responsibility for preventing abortions shouldn't lie with a governmental bureaucracy but with parents, church leaders, and Christian peers.

I think "stewardship" has to do with more than money, I think stewardship of our environment is just as important a discipline. I think that social justice is as important to our spiritual growth as prayer. I think it can be Scripturally supported to say that God hates injustice as much as God hates idolatry.

There's more, I'm sure, but that's a start.

14. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe Obama is over- eager and has let the undeserved, almost fawning, praise he has received since early in his political career go to his head.

Being black, well educated, and having the ability to speak fluent English does not automatically qualify one for president.

15. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

Being from Texas, however, and a poor orator...

:laugh:

16. genesis 12-15

genesis 12-15 New Member

Thanks for a great laugh, Daisy. Love it!

17. Gayla

Gayla New Member

Does anyone have any knowledge of Mr. Obama's religious affiliation?

18. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sounds like a candidate liberal Christians can really get behind.:tear:

19. Inadequate in Myself

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wikipedia lists him as United Church of Christ

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religious_Affiliation_in_the_United_States_Senate

In an excerpt from his book "The Audacity of Hope," he writes:

"This isn't to say that [my mother] provided me with no religious instruction. In her mind, a working knowledge of the world's great religions was a necessary part of any well-rounded education. In our household the Bible, the Koran, and the Bhagavad Gita sat on the shelf alongside books of Greek and Norse and African mythology. . . .In sum, my mother viewed religion through the eyes of the anthropologist that she would become; it was a phenomenon to be treated with a suitable respect, but with a suitable detachment as well. Moreover, as a child I rarely came in contact with those who might offer a substantially different view of faith. My father was almost entirely absent from my childhood, having been divorced from my mother when I was 2 years old; in any event, although my father had been raised a Muslim, by the time he met my mother he was a confirmed atheist, thinking religion to be so much superstition.

My work with the pastors and laypeople there deepened my resolve to lead a public life, but it also forced me to confront a dilemma that my mother never fully resolved in her own life: the fact that I had no community or shared traditions in which to ground my most deeply held beliefs. The Christians with whom I worked recognized themselves in me; they saw that I knew their Book and shared their values and sang their songs. But they sensed that a part of me remained removed, detached, an observer among them. I came to realize that without an unequivocal commitment to a particular community of faith, I would be consigned at some level to always remain apart, free in the way that my mother was free, but also alone in the same ways she was ultimately alone.
    In such a life I, too, might have contented myself had it not been for the particular attributes of the historically black church, attributes that helped me shed some of my skepticism and embrace the Christian faith.

It was because of these newfound understandings—that religious commitment did not require me to suspend critical thinking, disengage from the battle for economic and social justice, or otherwise retreat from the world that I knew and loved—that I was finally able to walk down the aisle of Trinity United Church of Christ one day and be baptized. It came about as a choice and not an epiphany; the questions I had did not magically disappear. But kneeling beneath that cross on the South Side of Chicago, I felt God's spirit beckoning me. I submitted myself to His will, and dedicated myself to discovering His truth."

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1546298,00.html

20. Inadequate in Myself

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am sorry, there should be ellipsis between each paragraph.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.