1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Barbara Tuchman books

Discussion in 'History Forum' started by Stratiotes, Sep 9, 2004.

1. Stratiotes

Stratiotes New Member

The WWI thread got me thinking about this again. A couple of B. Tuchman books I've been wanting to read, any comments from people who have read any of these?

_March of Folly: From Troy to Vietnam_

_The Proud Tower: A Portrait of the World Before the War 1890-1914_

I've read her definitive book on WWI and the Calamitous 14th Century book - both were outstanding works on their subjects - I couldn't praise them enough. That alone makes me itching to read these two I mentioned. What did you think of them?

2. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have a copy of the first and refer to it often. It's a keeper. (I also have "Stillwell and the American Experience in China: 1911-45" and thought it was a very balanced biography of the general.)

I have read the two others that you also have read and found them wonderfully explanatory. "The Calamitous 14th Century" was especially impressive because of its ability to weave an entire century of narrative with the life of French nobleman Enguerrand de Coucy.

3. Stratiotes

Stratiotes New Member

I don't know of many historians that can weave a story of historical facts as if it were an historical fiction novel. Tuchman's works are incredible and all page-turners in my experience. I have wondered about the Stillwell book as well. I've read brief biographies of him and have thought it would be good to learn more. Maybe I'll get to that one one day too. Thanks for the reviews.