1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Barney Frank proposes drastic military budget cuts

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Revmitchell, Oct 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A Republican member of the House Armed Services Committee is outraged over the call for a 25 percent reduction in defense spending coming from House Democrats. Senator Barney Frank (D-Massachusetts) recently informed a Bay State newspaper that he wishes to slash defense spending by more than $150 billion from the roughly $607 billion in defense spending that was enacted in fiscal year 2008. Frank, Chairman of the House Financial Services Committee, said the Pentagon has to start choosing the cuts from its many weapons programs. http://www.onenewsnow.com/Security/Default.aspx?id=302914

2. billwald

billwald New Member

Good! We have troops in something like 85 countries. The EEOC has roughly the same GDP as the US. Why do they need us to defend them? We need to defend the US, not Germany.

3. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He doesn't want to close overseas bases. He wants to drop weapons programs.

4. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Actually, the idea to clean up the defense budget was first proposed by McCain. And I quote, "I know where the wasted spending is and I know where to make the cuts". He went on to speak of cost overruns and contractors who are basically gouging our pockets. They never meet projected cost then keep asking for more and more money if you want the project finished.

Also, you're probably old enough to recall the $1K hammers and the $600 toilet seats...

If Obama makes office and if I were he, I would assign this task to McCain. I do believe McCain is just the right person to clean up the defense budget since it's the biggest culprit of government waste and the biggest shield to hide money being stolen.

5. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Cutting the budget by 25% with the goal of cutting out weapons programs is not the same thing.

6. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Barney Frank is not just a sexual deviant, he has to be one of the most brazen liars in Congress concerning his role in causing the mortgage fiasco.

On top of it all, he's a moron, when it comes to protecting the nation.

I pray God that someone rids us of this pestilence soon.

7. sag38

sag38 Active Member

It's sad when a man like Barney Frank has power in congress and is so out of touch with the needs of the military. After he and Obama get done gutting the military it will be weaker than when Jimmy Carter was finished. Thank God Reagan built it back up to where it needed to be.

8. billwald

billwald New Member

The few times I have heard Barney Frank on TV he has made good sense.

9. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Now there is a surprise!

#9 Revmitchell, Nov 1, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 1, 2008
  10. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Some of the weapon's programs are just cash cow and are no longer useful for future wars. They were weapon systems meant to fight conventional wars against countries like Russia. There are other weapon programs that would be more useful in the types of wars we have in the middle east and against terrorism in urban environments that will reduce collateral deaths. I think we should fund these weapon systems.

We budgeted $515.4 billion for the Department of Defense plus $70 billion for the Global War on Terror this year which is roughly half of our $1.2 trillion 2008 budget. Bush asked for $3.1 trillion for the fiscal year (FY) 2009 budget. Any questions why?

Here is McCain quote from the second debate...

Clearly McCain agrees there is fat in the defense budget or he wouldn't have mentioned them by name.

This is also a pledge from his campaign site...

Now I agree Barney is a goof and I don't know how he can imagine the number is 25% but no matter who gets in office Defense will be greatly scrutinized. The good news is Barney can't pass a bill by himself... What a goof...

11. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Actually, Obama wants to increase the Military in order to give relief to soldiers who have done 3, 4 and 5 tours in combat. His focus is to get us out of Iraq so we can devote more attention to Afghanistan (where the enemy is) and so we have reserves to defend the mainland. Where would we have gotten troops if Russia hadn't left Georgia? Not sure why McCain called Putin and cussed him out??? That wasn't too bright.

I also suspect the next president may have to initiate the draft. I hope not but it is a high possibility in my book. Too many soldiers are showing signs of battle fatigue so we can't with good conscience keep sticking them back into battle.

12. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

We need to cut all spending, including military spending.

13. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That would be a mistake

14. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Now this is a first, Rev's wallet creaked opened enough to break the spider webs and release the moths to actually approve spending a dollar... :thumbs:

I've seen it all now!

15. rbell

rbell Active Member

Does it bother you that he is a deviant, and there is good cause to believe he is a pedophile?

Not that you ever respond to posts...but it's still a question worth posing.

16. hillclimber1

hillclimber1 Active Member
    Site Supporter

The Barney Frank proposal is laughable, in these days....I'm all for fiscal responsibility, but to cut the military's budget now is blatantly short sighted. The world has never been a more dangerous place.....frank and those of his ilk, need to go away, but: We may be on the verge of electing the most dangerous president of all time, and handing him carte blanche with a democrat controlled congress..

Exciting times...

17. sag38

sag38 Active Member

Originally Posted by billwald
    The few times I have heard Barney Frank on TV he has made good sense.

Are you serious? All your statements are off the wall and hopefully designed to ellicit irritation. But, I'm not irritated. I get a good laugh.

18. redbelt

redbelt New Member

My understanding with McCain isn't that he was suggesting we REDUCE the military budget, but to ensure that the money spent - IS SPENT WISELY. That is much different then an overall 25% reduction in military spending.

19. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Might be a slightly different route but it goes to the same place...

20. billwald

billwald New Member

How do the needs of the military differ from the needs of the civilians? (needs, not tools)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.