1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Barry Bonds and Hank's record

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Dustin, Dec 12, 2006.

1. Dustin

Dustin New Member

How many of you think then when (sigh) Barry Bonds break Hank Aaron's homerun record, that an asterick should be placed by the record because he juiced his way past 755? At least it should be noted that Hank's 755 were all steroid free. Different eras too, pitchers now throw harder but are generally not as good as they were in Aaron's day (case in point: Jason Marquis of the World Champion Cardinals 14-16, ERA of 6+, also the whole Atlanta Braves bullpen :BangHead: ). What do you think?

Grace and Peace to you,
    Dustin

2. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

There definitely should be a star next to his record and McGwire's, Sosas et al and they should be ineligible for the hall. They have done at least as much as Pete Rose in damaging the integrity of the game.

3. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Since those guys never tested positive for any banned substances, it will be hard to place an asterisk next to any record.

With that said, I hate it that a mean spirited guy like BB is going to eclipse a gentleman like Hank Aaron. I hope Hank stands him up when it comes time to hit 756.

4. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

I don't know how they can put an asterisk next to his name since he never tested positive under a sanctioned drug test. We all know he did it, though. If he does break the record, it will be corrected through the writing and opinion-making of baseball history. There will always be a shadow of doubt over the record.

Baseball is a game of stats; records mean more to baseball than any other sport. But the truth is, some records mean more than others based on their historical context. For instance, Cy Young has the career wins record of 511, which will never be touched because the game has changed so much. So as time passes by, that record becomes less significant in the minds of baseball fans. Another one: Chief Wilson has the single season triples record with 36 in 1912. That's another one that will never be touched, but baseball historians are able to account for anomalies like that based on the context in which they occurred. And the same thing will happen with Bonds and his homers. Over time, the context of his record will be remembered, thus diminishing its significance. So one of the casualties in all this will be the record itself, which at one time was one of the most revered, will now become ordinary and era-specific, like Young's wins and Wilson's triples.

#4 Andy T., Dec 12, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2006
  5. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Truth is baseball did it to themselves by not having a policy that tested these guys. When you have the money on the table that they have (this off season as a perfect example) guys will do anything to stay in the game especially if it isn't illegal.

BB played by the rules that where in play, history will have to be the judge, he gets the record, no qualifiers. What makes you think you would like Mantle any better if you had a camera up his nose every minute of every day? Guys where rude and ugly back then as well, just no ESPN to share it with the world.

BTW pitchers are way better now then in the "good ole days". Smaller ballparks, tighter baseball, smaller zone, mound height adjustments. Also you cannot forget, only whites where allowed to play for a majority of baseball history. And when they where allowed to play the playing field was hardly level for a period of time.

Let me also say, what makes me most sad about the situation, it that Bonds was a Hall of Fame type player before the juice. I mean he was really great in all areas of the game. He didn't need it, unlike Sosa and Big Mac evidently.

6. Dustin

Dustin New Member

Hitters are also better too, everybody can hit homeruns. Even ten or eleven years ago seems like a drastically different time. But I'm a sucker for those 1-0 and 2-1 games, guys like Marichal and Koufax making hitters look silly, pitchers going nine innings and beyond with better stuff than they had in the first inning. Yeah, I like pitching more than anything. I still think even though more pitchers throw harder they just aren't as good as pitchers in earlier eras. Pitching has limits, an average pitcer may throw 90mph, the hardest throwers may hit 100mph, and maybe one or two threw harder (Nolan Ryan, minor league lefty legend Steve "White Lightning " Dalkowski). That's not even counting earlier pitchers (Feller, Grove, ect.) who didn't have a radar gun, and timing pitches was accomplished by very unaccurate means. My point is, guys threw hard then, MORE guys throw hard now. Offense in baseball has skyrocketed beyond anything ever seen in the game. Hitters muscle up, now every one hits bombs. A hitter can condition himself to hit the fastest fastballs, but pitchers seem to hit the wall at 100mph, give or take 4 or 5 mph. Hitters do have an advantage there. I guess another point is, it might be better that everyone can't throw hard, because it doesn't matter how hard you throw a baseball, they catch up to it and smash it if it's any where near the strike sone and has little movement. The trick is learn to throw other pitches well, switch speeds, blah blah blah. They just don't seem to do that like they used to as a whole. Maddux and Glavine and Martinez and Clemens as well as others are the last bit of a piece of baseball that is soon going to be history: excellent pitchers pitching well for a long time. Just ain't the same as it used to be.

Grace and Peace to you,
    Dustin

7. bobbyd

bobbyd New Member

It's almost painful to imagine someone like Bonds passing Hammerin' Hank's record when Hank really is such a gentleman (like was mentioned earlier).

8. Bro. James Reed

Bro. James Reed New Member

How about the fact that he passed Babe Ruth, who actually did the opposite of Bonds and killed his body with alcohol and who knows what else.

Can you imagine The Babe on steroids? We would've broken 800 homers.:laugh:

9. SOGOSINGER

SOGOSINGER New Member

As long as they can't prove he took steriods, there'll never be an asterisk by his name......If he had any class at all, I mean even a little bit of respect for the players and fans, he would have retired this year and saved himself and the fans the agony of him breaking the record. Can you imagine the embarrassment of him hitting the homerun to break the record in Chicago, and the fans throwing the ball back on the field and booing him?

Sidebar: Was The supplement that Mark Mcguire took legal when he took it and then later banned? If so, He should probably not be lumped with Bonds

10. A&I

A&I New Member

Bonds

I never thought Bonds would play another year to break the record. I thought he would retire after last year .It will be very interesting the day he breaks it .I wonder what Hank will say and do ??

I did see Hank a couple of years ago talk about Bonds on TV .It seemed he didn;t care much for Bonds .You know the media will be talking to Hank as much as Bonds as the day comes nearer to the breaking of the record .

11. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

I would be watching for people not to pitch to Bonds when and if it gets close. Bonds will never be recognized as the home run leader by true baseball fans. He did not play under the rules of the day. Steroids were illegal. There is no doubt that he took them.

12. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, there should not be an asterisk. Fans can make their own judgment between Hank Aaron and Barry Bonds.

13. Dustin

Dustin New Member

I'd really hate to be the sap who gives up 756, though Al Downing would breath a sigh of relief.