1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Baseball Offseason Moves

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by PastorSBC1303, Dec 4, 2006.

1. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

The winter meetings begin today in baseball. Is anyone paying attention?

I like the moves the Cubs have made so far, but they have got to sign some pitching.

2. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Agreed about Soriano. They re-signed Ramirez too, didn't they? I don't know why the Cubs would want to get Ted Lilly's 4.13 ERA and 1.43 WHIP, but he is a better choice than the oft-injured Wood or Prior.

3. PastorSBC1303

Yes they did resign Ramirez. Soriano, Lee, and Ramirez give them a pretty good punch in the lineup.

I am not sure why they would want Lily either. I would rather see them go after Zito or Schmidt.

4. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Maybe they feel they have to sign somebody halfway decent to support the kind of offense they'll have? Lilly would be a decent #2 behind Zombrano. If Hill picks up where he left off in 06, they could have a nice top of the rotation.

5. AF Guy N Paradise

AF Guy N Paradise Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do as well!

Cubs in 2007!

6. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Over the weekend, the Cubbies signed Jason Marquis to a 3 year, $21 million contract. Last season, Marquis was 14-16 with a 6.02 ERA. :eek:

Combined with Ted Lilly's $10 mill a year, that's $17 million tied up in 2 average to below-average pitchers. It's a good thing they kept Ramirez and signed Soriano. They're going to need those guys.

Ladies and gentlemen, your 2007 Chicago Cubs! :applause:

7. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    :tonofbricks: putting on my asbestos clothing, but I really like what the Yankees have done this winter.

I'm first of all a Yankees fan, but a close 2nd is the cubs and I like what they have done.

8. PastorSBC1303

They have made some risky moves this offseason. But goodness, they cannot be any worse than last year. I like what they have done and hope it all comes together for them. It is about time they spent some money instead of sitting back.

9. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Despite my making fun of them for paying so much for what seems to be so little, I do like that they're trying to do something to improve the team. It's a much better alternative than sitting back, signing nobody, and praying that Wood and Prior somehow return to their 2003 form.

Agreed. If they had done nothing else, trading Sheff was a good move. Then they topped it by getting Pettite to come back.

10. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is one of the reasons I like the yankees and steinbrenner. They have an ongoing committment to getting the best talent they can.

11. PastorGreg

PastorGreg Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not sure I like the big money spent on Lilly and Marquis, both below average at best. Glad to see the Cubs got Soriano, wish they had kept Pierre. We'll see what happens in '07. Most likely, we Cubbie fans will be chanting our slogan again - "Wait 'til next year!"

12. Bro. James Reed

Bro. James Reed New Member

I don't see Pettite being very good anymore.

Since he was injured, he has done little to help the Astros.

I think his best days are behind him.

The Astros are tying up some loose ends this winter, and I think they'll be in the playoffs next season. With money saved on Pettite, and almost certainly on Clemens, they'll be able to get several good players.

13. PastorSBC1303

What good players are out there that they are going to sign?

14. Dustin

Dustin New Member

Personally, I'd rather have Lilly than Marquis, Lilly has his moments with that great big curveball and that 90 mph fastball.

15. Bro. James Reed

Bro. James Reed New Member

Well, hopefully Lee will help the hitting this year. The major problem with the Stros last season was the fact that they lost so many 1 run games. Clemens would have had a much better record, but it seemed like everytime he pitched, the team couldn't muster but maybe 1 run. You're just not going to win with any kind of pitcher if you can't get more than 1 run per game.

I don't know what all of their prospects are, but I'd like to see them get another power hitter, or at least someone halfway decent, and they need a good closer. Lidge and Qualls should be hitting the pavement.

I am glad that McLane has shown that he is willing to spend the money to get good players over the past few years. He is extremely wealthy and I think Billy Wagner got under his skin with the "cheap" comments a few years ago. He, btw, was the closer they should have kept.

16. Dustin

Dustin New Member

Off topic , but, I wonder if Brad Lidge's less than stellar performance last season was due to the after affects of Puhols' NLCS home run and the WS loss to the White Sox? I like Lidge, he has awesome stuff, but for a longwhile last season, he wasn't his normal self.

17. PastorSBC1303

Most of the big time players are signed. I don't know that there are too many names out there that would really help the Astros, but guess we will have to see.

18. Dustin

Dustin New Member

Just a few months til pitchers and catchers report, I hate the off season. :tear: