1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

BB Recipe Collection #2

Discussion in 'Women's Fellowship Forum' started by donnA, May 31, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

Turtle Pretzel Rods

(14-ounce) package caramels
    2 teaspoons water
    Nonstick cooking spray
    1 (10-ounce) bag pretzel rods
    1 1/2 cups chocolate chips
    2 teaspoons vegetable shortening (not butter)
    1 cup very finely chopped pecans

Unwrap caramels and place in a 2-cup glass measuring cup. Add water. Microwave on High (100
    percent) power 2 to 3 minutes, stirring every minute, until caramels are melted and smooth. (For ease of stirring, coat spoon with cooking spray.)

Coat a sheet of foil with cooking spray. Dip half of each pretzel into hot caramel; twirl to coat. Let excess drip from pretzel, and then place on coated foil.

Place chocolate chips and shortening in a clean 2-cup glass-measuring cup. Microwave on High for 1
    1/2 to 2 minutes or until shortening melts, stirring after 1 minute. Stir until chocolate melts. Dip caramel-coated end of pretzel sticks in chocolate; roll tips in nuts.

Refrigerate immediately.

Remove from refrigerator about 10 minutes before serving.

2. I Am Blessed 24

The ground pecans give this the texture of cornbread, but there isn't any cornmeal in it.

Georgia Cornbread Cake

1 cup sugar
    1 cup brown sugar
    4 eggs - beaten
    1 cup vegetable oil
    1 1/2 cups self-rising flour
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    2 cups pecans - finely chopped

Preheat oven to 350º.
    Lightly grease and flour a 9x13 baking dish.

Stir together sugars, eggs and oil in a medium bowl until smooth. Stir in flour and vanilla. Add pecans and stir until evenly mixed. Spoon into prepared dish and bake for 30-35 minutes.

***TIP***

Serve with a dollop of whipped cream on top.

This cake is perfect for potlucks and lunchboxes.

3. I Am Blessed 24

BANANA PUDDING

PUDDING INGREDIENTS

5 bananas ripe (3 was enough for me because I used an 8x8 dish)
    4 egg yolks
    1 box of vanilla wafers (I used the store brand)
    ½ cup of flour
    1 cup of sugar
    ½ tsp. salt
    2 cups of milk (I used 2%)
    1 tsp. vanilla extract
    1 tbsp. of butter (do not use margarine)

MERINGUE INGREDIENTS

4 egg whites (at room temperature)
    5 tbsp. sugar
    ¼ tsp cram of tarter
    ½ tsp vanilla extract

DIRECTIONS

1) Preheat oven to 375º.

2) Line the bottom of a 9x9 baking dish with a layer of vanilla wafers.

3) Peel the bananas and slice into rounds. Cover the banana slices with plastic wrap to keep them from darkening and quickly make your pudding.

4) Combine the sugar, flour and salt in a bowl, and stir well to mix. Mash out any flour lumps with the back of your spoon. Set aside.

5) In a heavy saucepan, beat the egg yolks well (just use a for or whisk, but beat them well). Over medium heat, add the flour mixture to the egg yolks, alternately with the milk and vanilla, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil and, when the mixture begins to thicken, add the butter, continuing to stir. Keep boiling and stirring until mixture reaches a nice pudding consistancy. (If you're working with an electric cooktop, adjust the heat so that it's hot enough to boil, but not so hot that the pudding scorches.) Remove from heat.

6) Place a layer of banana slices in the baking dish on top of the vanilla wafers. Don't stint and put one slice of banana per wafer. Line those banana slices up edge-to-edge. Pour, spreading if necessary, half of the pudding over the banana layer. Put down another layer of vanila wafers, anothe layer of banana slices, and cover with remaining pudding.

7) Beat the egg whites at high speed until they form soft peaks. Add the cream of tarter. At high speed, gradually add the sugar, one tablespoon at a time, and beat until stiff peaks form. Fold the vanilla into the meringue, and spread the meringue over the pudding, sealing it at the sides of the dish.

8) Bake in a preheated 375º oven until meringue browns, 12 to 15 minutes, depending upon your oven.

4. Gayla

Gayla New Member

bibidy-bobidy-bump!!

5. I Am Blessed 24

Originally posted by TennisNE1:

My sister sent me this recipe for our Super Bowl Party. It was a hit!!

2 8oz. cream cheese
    1 lb sausage ( hot or mild, I used the hot) drained
    1 can Rotel, drained

Heat cream cheese in microwave until smooth, add rotel and sausage. Mix....that's it!! It is goooood!

6. donnA

donnA Active Member

this was really good
    Cucumber salad
    1 cup plain yogurt
    2 tablespoons minced fresh mint leaves
    or 1/2 teaspoon dried mint leaves
    1 tablespoon lemon juice
    1 clove garlic, minced
    Dash of white pepper
    1 medium cucumber, thinly sliced

Mix all ingredients except cucumber; cover and refrigerate. Just before serving, stir in cucumber. Place in serving dish; garnish with additional mint if desired.

7. donnA

donnA Active Member

Stuffed Meat Loaf (Kibby Bil Sanieh)
    1 1/2 cups bulgur (cracked wheat)
    1 pound ground lamb or beef
    1 medium onion, minced
    1 3/4 teaspoons salt
    1/8 teaspoon pepper
    Stuffing
    2 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted

Cover bulgur with cold water; let stand 10 minutes. Drain; press bulgur to remove excess water. Mix lamb, onion, salt and pepper; add bulgur. Knead until well mixed. Prepare Stuffing.

Press half the lamb-bulgur mixture evenly in an ungreased 8-inch square pan. Cover with Stuffing; spread remaining lamb-bulgur mixture evenly over stuffing. Cut diagonal lines across top to make diamond pattern. Pour butter over meat loaf. Bake uncovered at 350 degrees F until brown, about 40 minutes.

Cut into diamond shapes; serve hot or cold.

Yields 6 to 8 servings.

Stuffing
    1/4 pound ground lamb or beef
    1 small onion, minced
    2 tablespoons pine nuts
    1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    Dash of ground nutmeg

Cook and stir all ingredients until lamb is light brown, about 5 minutes.

8. donnA

donnA Active Member

This was delicious, I used a cast iron skillet on top

ROASTED SPICE-RUBBED CHICKEN UNDER A BRICK
    This chicken is incredibly crispy and intensely flavorful, making it an exciting alternative to milder roast chicken recipes. Weighting the chicken ensures that each piece is of the same thickness, so they cook quickly and evenly. The weight also causes the fat under the skin to render, melting out and leaving the skin deliciously crisp.
    When you buy the chicken for this recipe, ask your butcher to remove the back and breast bones and halve the bird so that there is a drumstick and wing on each side.

1 whole chicken (about 3 1/2 pounds), halved, back and breast bones removed (leave the rib bones)
    1 tablespoon ground cumin
    1 tablespoon coarse sea salt or kosher salt
    1/2 tablespoon ground cinnamon
    1/2 tablespoon ground allspice
    1/2 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
    1/2 tablespoon ground turmeric
    2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
    Chopped fresh cilantro for garnish
    Lemon wedges for serving

Rinse the chicken and pat dry with paper towels. In a bowl, mix together the cumin, salt, cinnamon, allspice, pepper, and turmeric. Pat the mixture onto the chicken and wrap it tightly in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 12 hours.
    Remove the chicken from the refrigerator 1 hour before cooking. Place a 14-inch skillet or heavy-duty roasting or baking pan in the oven, along with 2 foil-wrapped bricks, and preheat the oven to 500°F for 15 minutes.

Rub the chicken with the olive oil and press it flat. Wearing oven mitts, remove the pan from the oven and press the chicken, skin side down, on the pan. Place a brick on top of each chicken half. (Instead of the foil-wrapped bricks, you can preheat another baking sheet and/or a heavy heatproof object such as a thick cast-iron skillet to use as a weight. Place the baking sheet on top of the chicken and weigh it down with the weight.) Roast for 30 minutes. Garnish the chicken with cilantro and serve with lemon wedges.

Makes 4 servings.

9. donnA

donnA Active Member

LEMON-PISTACHIO PILAF

4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
    2 large shallots, minced
    1 1/2 cups long-grain white rice
    8 tablespoons chopped unsalted pistachios
    1 14-ounce can (or more) low-salt chicken broth
    1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    2 1/2 tablespoons 1x1/8-inch strips lemon peel (yellow part only)

Heat oil in heavy large saucepan over medium heat. Add shallots and sauté 3 minutes. Add rice and 2 tablespoons pistachios; stir 2 minutes. Stir in 1 can broth, lemon juice, and salt; bring to boil. Reduce heat to low; cover and cook until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender, about 20 minutes. Mix in 4 tablespoons pistachios and 2 tablespoons lemon peel. Season with salt and pepper. (Can be made 2 hours ahead. Spread rice out onto baking sheet; cool. Before continuing, drizzle with more broth and rewarm tightly covered with foil in 400°F oven until heated through, about 10 minutes.) Transfer rice to bowl. Sprinkle with remaining 2 tablespoons pistachios and 1/2 tablespoon lemon peel.

Makes 8 servings.

10. Linda64

Linda64 New Member

STUFFED BELL PEPPERS

4 large bell peppers
    1/2 stick butter or margarine
    1 medium onion, chopped
    1/2 cup green onions, chopped
    1 (4 oz.) can sliced mushrooms
    1/4 cup grated Romano cheese
    1 pkg. frozen white and wild rice, thawed
    2 eggs, slightly beaten
    1/4 cup Progresso bread crumbs
    1/2 lb. ground chuck (or you could use ground turkey--it's leaner and cheaper!)
    1/2 clove garlic, minced
    Dash of oregango and basil (you can also use Italian seasoning)
    Salt and pepper to taste

Cut off tops of bell peppers, remove insides. Put in cold water and bring to boil. Let boil for 3 or 5 minutes; remove and drain. Saute onions, shallots (green onions), and minced garlic in the butter. Add meat and brown. Add rice, mushrooms with liquid, cheese, seasoning and bread crumbs. Remove from heat and stir in eggs, working quickly; return to heat for 5 minutes. Fill peppers; sprinkle with prepared bread crumbs; dot with butter. Bake 15 minutes at 350 degrees. After bell peppers are cooked, a slice of cheese can be melted on top, or peppers can be topped with a cheese sauce.

11. Gwen

Gwen Active Member

Glazed Carrots

6 carrots:
    Slice on the diagonal and cook in salted water.

When tender, drain carrots completely and add:
    2 Tbl. butter (or margarine)
    2 Tbl. brown sugar
    1 tsp. dried Parsley

Cook on HIGH for a minute or two and stir constantly. The butter and sugar will melt and form a nice glaze for the carrots. Serves 4.

These are so good even picky eaters like em!

12. Linda64

Linda64 New Member

EASY PEACH COBBLER

3/4 cup self-rising flour (make sure you use self-rising flour--otherwise it won't work--like I found out after 3 flops! :D )
    1/2 cup sugar
    1/2 cup milk
    1/2 stick butter or margarine
    1-2 cup peaches (I use about a 15 oz. can of peaches in light syrup--or 2 smaller cans of cling peaches ), drain most of the syrup off--but not all of it.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cut up 1/2 stick butter or margarine in a 9x9 inch baking pan and melt in oven. Mix flour, sugar, and milk together. When butter has melted, remove pan from oven and pour/spread batter in pan. Pour in fruit with a little juice on top. Bake at 350 degrees until done--about 30 minutes. Add ice cream on top when served.

BTW--you can use any type of canned fruit--just don't use canned pie filling--makes a big mess and doesn't work at all! :D

13. Gwen

Gwen Active Member

Linda--I make your Easy Peach Cobbler all the time. Try it sometime with pineapple. The chunks, not crushed or sliced. It's really good!

14. Linda64

Linda64 New Member

Thanks Gwen--

That sounds yummy!!

15. Linda64

Linda64 New Member

FRESH APPLE CAKE

1 cup vegetable oil
    2 cups sugar
    3 eggs
    3 cups chopped apples (tart ones--like Granny Smith)
    3 cups all-purpose flour
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon cinnamon
    2 teaspoons vanilla
    1 cup nuts (walnuts or pecans)

Measure all ingredients in a large bowl and mix wit ha spoon until all ingredients are mixed together. Bake in a tube pan or bundt pan (well greased) at 325 degrees for 1 hour or until done.

16. I Am Blessed 24

DO IT YOURSELF-NO MESS-OMELET

I found a really great way to make omelets the NO MESS way. Now I enjoy making them as much as I do eating them!

This is great if you're having kids overnight. They can create their own breakfast!

Use 1 quart FREEZER ziplock bags. Put a large pan (I use my stock pot) of water on the stove and bring to a boil.

Mix 2 eggs, a dab of milk, salt & pepper if desired in a bowl for each person. Then hand them the bowl and let them 'scramble' their eggs and add whatever else they want. Pour it all in the ziplock bag.

Zip the bags (taking the air out) and place the them in the pot of boiling water for exactly 13 minutes. Remove with tongs and open bag to slide omelet out on plate. It turns out perfect every time with no skillets to wash!

This morning, I put eggs, milk, salt, pepper, chopped onions, chopped green pepper, chopped ham, chopped mushrooms and shredded cheese in mine and Grandpa's. Brent just had egg, milk, salt, pepper, ham and cheese in his. It was YUMMY and EASY brunch!

17. I Am Blessed 24

BROCCOLI CASSEROLE WITH FISH
    (I fixed this last week and it was a hit with all three of us.)

2 pkgs. frozen broccoli-chopped
    1 cup milk
    3 TBLS. Parmesan cheese
    1 can Cheddar Cheese soup
    1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
    1 pkg. frozen fish fillets

Heat oven to 400º. Grease 9x13 baking dish. Spread thawed broccoli in dish. Mix milk and soup, pour over broccoli. Sprinkle with Parmesan and top with fillets.

Bake uncovered until sauce is bubbly and top of fillets are crisp - 25-30 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.

18. Gwen

Gwen Active Member

Ziploc Ice Cream

This is really fun for little kids. They LOVE it!

Take a gallon size ziploc bag and fill 1/2 way with ice. Add 1 tablespoon of salt.

Take a quart or sandwich size ziploc bag and add a cup of milk, drop or two of vanila flavoring and a couple teaspoons sugar. Stir. ZIP TIGHTLY.

Place the smaller ziploc of milk INSIDE the gallon size ziploc. Zip the gallon bag.

Shake for 5 minutes.

Presto, homemade ice cream in 5 minutes!

My boys just loved to do this when a friend came over. They still talk about it, and they're 22 and 19!

19. here now

here now Member

Hi Linda64,
    I made your easy Peach Cobbler last night..........YUMMMMY!
    Thanks for the recipe.

20. donnA

donnA Active Member

I've done the cobbler with pineapple, it is really good. Now though I have to have everything sugar free and cook it with splenda. It's still very good, I don't miss real sugar at all.
    That apple cake recipe sounds like a keeper to me!
    Love broccoli casserole. Is that raw fish, or precook breaded fish fillets? Because the precooked is sounding real good for that recipe.
    Sue, LOL, I don't have a problem making omletts, but it took me years of failures to do it too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.