1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

BBC Springfield

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Refreshed, Jul 2, 2003.

1. Refreshed

Refreshed Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am currently looking at colleges to attend (see the thread "The Short List." I haven't found much on this board (or on the internet at all) regarding Baptist Bible College of Springfield.

What I want out of you fine group of people, are opinions, positive or negative, first-hand or second-hand on BBC Springfield. I want honest evaluations on several things;

1. Quality of academics.
    2. Quality of professors.
    3. Did this school enhance your ability to fulfill your call to preach (or the ability of someone you know)?

Also, please comment on any other areas of which you can think.

I really appreciate your help in this.

Jason :D

2. CNUBS

CNUBS New Member

I attended BBC and am now working in the Graduate School. Since we had North Central Accreditation candidate status I can honestly say that our professor are qualified.
    The classes are good, it depends on your major. Everyone has a concern for the students. Last year we got a new president and he is making some great changes to make the college/graduate school even better.
    When I took classes it was several years ago. I am now taking Graduate school classes and it is helping me to see the need for graduate school education. The college just touches the hem of the garment for ministry. Graduate school hits the hem and most of the robe.
    Let me know if you have any other questions.

3. Refreshed

Refreshed Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for your input.

I know that candidacy is four years in the North Central. Do you know how long they have been in candidacy status?

Thanks,

Jason :D

4. Refreshed

Refreshed Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hmmm...only one person on a board of over 5,000 has gone to BBC? Interesting...

Jason

5. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Each school among ifb'ers usually has its own association or fellowship, with its own distinctive "flavor" (for want of a better term).

For instance, Faith BBC in Ankeny is the most conservative in music, education, styles, programs of all the Regular Baptist schools.

BBC Springfield is immersed in the Baptist Bible Fellowship International. That group is hyper on mega-church, hyles and the cult of personality, busing, 1-2-3-pray-after-me soul winning, legalistic standards up the wazzoo, and MANY are KJVO or sympathetic to that direction. It is very "southern" in mentality (pulpiteering and theatrics, screaming, singing 27 verse of Just as I Am, and Victory in Jesus at every meeting). It is a way of life!

My church will not have a BBF missionary or BBC Springfield group even come in. We don't agree with that "flavor" of Baptist here in our town and won't pay someone to do it overseas! (They have a great missionary emphasis, btw)

So evaluate carefully the "flavor". Ask for a list of speakers in chapel. List alumni. List what churches are sending kids there. List local churches where you would work. That will help you see if you fit in with the "flavor".

Hope this helps.

It guided me back in 65 in looking at the flavors and programs etc of Tennessee Temple, Bob Jones, Pillsbury BBC, etc. Wise thing to do if you want to survive in such a school and not be "vexed" at the nonsense that goes on!

6. Refreshed

Refreshed Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you very much for your response, Dr. Bob, I'll take the "flavor" into strong consideration when finally deciding which college is "the one."

Jason

7. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

Hey! [​IMG] Don't you like to sing the whole song through a few times?

8. CNUBS

CNUBS New Member

We are in candidate status until the team comes back in 2005. At that time, we will have full accreditation or be granted candidate status again.

As to the claims from Dr. Bob. I am sorry that he has no understanding of what really goes on at BBC. Very little if any of what he said is true. Where did he get his information, certainly not from a reliable source. Must have been hearsay.

Honestly, the ones that can truly answer those questions are ones who attended, not someone who just heard from someone else.

9. Refreshed

Refreshed Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I just Tuesday recieved a "packet" from BBC and finally got around to reading it. Here is what they have to say in regards to their accreditation status, in case anyone was wondering.

"For the past two years BBC & BBGST has done extensive work in seeking regional accreditation with the North Central Association of Schools and Colleges. On May 21, 2001 we were given candidate status. We have set an institutional goal to reach accreditation within the next two years. Candidate status carries with it the privileges of accreditation, which means that our graduating class of 2002 has an earned degree under North Central Accreditation. This places our degree offerings on the same level as state colleges and universities."

CNUBS - can you name some of the more well-known chapel speakers that have spoken there while you have attended?

Thanks for the info.

Jason

10. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Please correct the errors. I will freely admit that it has been many years since I was on campus there at BBC Springfield. But in 30+ years as a pastor, these were my honest opinions.

But like everything else I post, I will retract and apologize for error:
    1. Is BBC involved with "the Baptist Bible Fellowship International"?
    2. Is BBC involved with the "mega-church, hyles and the cult of personality"
    3. Is BBC involved in "busing, 1-2-3-pray-after-me soul winning"?
    4. Is BBC involved in "legalistic standards"? (slacks et al)
    5. Is BBC involved with "MANY KJVO/sympathetic to that direction?
    6. Is BBC "southern in mentality" (pulpit, music et al)

I still get their publications and keep on top of the school. I am glad that they are moving toward accreditation; that says a lot about their academic program (North Central has the highest standards of the regional groups).

My comments are meant to help a student evaluate the whole package that a school offers. Want him to go in with eyes wide open - many go simply because their pastor/church supports a school . . then are disappointed when THEY do not "fit" into the tenor of the school.

11. baptistteacher

Site Supporter

I wet to BBC in the 70's, B.A. Music, 1978. During that time the culture would have been somewhat like what Dr. Bob said, but not completely.

I have been back to campus many times over the years, and have seen many changes. I did a teaching internship there in 1997 while doing my Masters work at Dallas Theological Seminary, and was surprised at the warmth of the fellowship (although I shouldn't have been). I was only there for the summer, but was treated just like a regular faculty member.

Let me see if I can speak to some of Dr. Bob's statements.

1. Is BBC involved with "the Baptist Bible Fellowship International"?
    Yes, it is the "Flagship" college.

2. Is BBC involved with the "mega-church, hyles and the cult of personality"

Not to my knowledge. It was somewhat during the 70's. Some possibly still are. This is not the message or tenor of the school. By far the majority of the churches that support BBC are what we classify as "small" churches, less than 200, many around 100 in regular attendance. Doesn't sound like "mega-church" to me.

3. Is BBC involved in "busing, 1-2-3-pray-after-me soul winning"?
    Once again, this was a 60' and 70's thing. Using buses and vans to bring people to church is one method used, but not the only avenue of outreach. Nothing wrong with that. Of course the best form of evangelism is "lifestyle evangelism" - living a life so that others can see Jesus in you.
    If by "1-2-3-pray-after-me soul winning" is meant button-holing someone on the street and convincing them to pray a prayer or you won't let them go, this has never been good, although some have done things this way, and still do. This is not taught at BBC.

4. Is BBC involved in "legalistic standards"? (slacks et al)
    I was very surprised to go back to campus some years ago and see the ladies wearing slacks. Very different from when I was there. Allowing them to wear pants has caused some to abandon the college. These pastors need to look around at their own congregations. In most churches a large percentage of the ladies wear pants during the week, even if they wouldn't think of wearing them to church.
    BBC has not dropped all standards. A Christian institution of this sort has to have some Structure/rules/guidelines. There are still dating rules, curfews, and no co-ed dorms.

5. Is BBC involved with "MANY KJVO/sympathetic to that direction?
    BBC still stands for the KJV in English, the Masoretic Hebrew Old Testament, and the Textus Receptus/Majority Text Greek New Testament. No apology for that.

6. Is BBC "southern in mentality" (pulpit, music et al)
    BBC still uses some of the standard church music. Can't go wrong with basic Fanny Crosby in my book. Also some of what is now being called "Southern Gospel" - nothing wrong with that, these songs have a way of really reaching out to people. -->> Also some (a lot) of the newer songs. You will hear "Shout to the Lord," "Change My Heart, Oh God," "Lord I Lift Your Name on High," etc. Using these songs has also caused some to abandon the school.
    As for the styles of preaching, there are many. While in one area the loud type of preaching may not go over, in others it will. I prefer to hear a well-reasoned sermon, but not so monotone that it drones me to sleep. I really don't care for a sermon that is one constant yell from beginning to end. That is worse than a monotone drone.

Remember that there are always paople who come to a college with their own pre-conceived ideas, and leave that way. Some others will pick them up here and there, either during or after their time at school.

BBC is still a Fundamental, Independent, Premillinial, Baptist College, with a high degree of academics. (Yes, you can be a Fundamentalist and also be Academic. ;) )

12. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am glad for the update. Schools change. My contact (1984-88 when I was dean of another college) is 15 years old. Since then, it has only been with viewing pastors and missionaries who came from that "mind-set".

Thanks for the good word.

13. Refreshed

Refreshed Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wow, what a great thread. Dr. Bob, you asked all the right questions, and CNUBS, you answered them well.

This thread has helped a bunch.

I'm still interested in hearing from people who might be attending the college currently or have graduated from the undergrad program within the last few years.

Thanks,

Jason