1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

BCS FUN

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Pete Richert, Nov 22, 2004.

1. Pete Richert

Pete Richert New Member

Soooo, what's everyones take this year on the Orange Bowl. USC? Oklahoma? Auburn? Which two "deserve" to play. Let's not make this a playoff vs BCS discussion, as we all already agree the playoff would be better. But as for now, which two teams should play (assume neither lose any remaining games).

Also, what about Cal being passed up by Texas in the BCS and losing thier Rose Bowl? Or even worse, having Louiville sneak in and having both Cal and Texas out? (BTW, despite living in Austin now, I attended Berkeley for a time, and am siding with them to be in the Rose Bowl which should rightly be Pac-10 Big-10 anyway)

2. WallyGator

WallyGator New Member

In a way I hope Texas doesn't get a BCS bid!
    Hate to see them play high-rated team and get the tar beat out of them again. They just don't seem to take bowl games seriously, no fire in the gut.
    Would be interesting--Utah vs Texas.

3. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    If all three remain undefeated, Auburn should definitely be in as they play in a tougher conference than the other two.

And the Big 12 is so weak this season, especially in the North, that USC should get the other spot.

4. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

I Love the mess, it shows the BCS for the sham that it really is. Lets scrap this system and go to a playoff system with the top 16 teams. The arguments will then relvove around who are the last teams to qualify - not the top.

Is utah really any good - play it off and see!
    Can Texas stand up - probably not, but lets see
    USC with thier mush schedule?

My opinion on the current mess is that Auburn and Ok have faced the toughest schedules and should play in the championship game

5. Pete Richert

Pete Richert New Member

Sixteen would be too many. That is four games! Will never get that if we can't get a simple +1. I say 8 teams, since usually there are five or six really strong ones (and then two also good ones). But let's not even press our luck for that, let's just ask for four teams. Just one extra game then we have now.

The BCS just signed a contract with Fox for through 2010. Looks like they will be adding ANOTHER bowl game, played in the one of the other bowls a week later. However, it is not a plus one (because the wimpy college presidents shot that down). Instead there will be 10 BCS teams instead of 8 for now on.

6. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    True. But they have only played 3 good football teams. Their out of conference was pathetic and the lower half of the SEC West is still worse than the East. I really expected Arkansas to make more noise than the did. The only other teams with a real shot a beating Auburn were re-building LSU and Alabama teams.

All this said, I think the other two have had an even easier road. The Pac-10 is a one horse show. Cal isn't nearly as good as they are getting credit for. The Big 12 is in a serious down year all the way around. Texas only looks good because everyone else besides OU is so bad.

There probably isn't a team in the Big 12 North that could win the Big East this year.... maybe not the MAC either.

I don't know how you sort that one out.

Problem is that there seems to be a bias against Auburn. The title game barring a ND upset of USC is going to be OU and USC.

OU in my opinion is a good bit better than USC.... and I can be objective since I don't like either one.

7. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why? The Hogs only had one returning starter on offense and something like three on defense.

8. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Utah gets no respect because it is in a weak-sister conference. (Ask me, Wyoming is in it). They have had to scream and claw - with MASSIVE overwhelming wins - to stay in the top 6.

Why? Bias. There are 9-1 10-1 teams ranked above Utah in some polls. Ludicrous.

I think they would stand tall with USC or any of the big name teams. Joy of being underestimated.

9. Pete Richert

Pete Richert New Member

Why is that ludicrous. They are an unknown since they don't play any body tough, or four or five tough teams if you play in the SEC.

Hey, my 250 person Division 5 High school went undefeated this year too. Maybe they should play in the Suger Bowl. Why not? They are 10-0, it would be ludicrous to leave them out.

10. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If Utah had to play in the Pac-10, SEC, ACC, Big-10 (really 11) or even the Big 12, they would not be undefeated. Getting up for one or two games a season is not the same as playing Auburn, Alabama and Florida in three consecutive weeks. New Mexico, Air Force and Colorado State just don't match up. Same goes for Boise State. They are good teams, no doubt, put would not be undefeated. That said, there should be a playoff system. They could use the bowl games as the playoff locations and have a legitimate champion. Does everyone realize that the NCAA declares a champion for every sport EXCEPT Division 1-A football? Now tell me there isn't something screwed up with that! They make all the rules, yet don't declare a champion!

11. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Misconception

Utah is 3-0 against BCS teams this season, including wins over bowl eligible Texas A&M and North Carolina. The Utes clobbered now No. 22 ranked Texas A&M (41-21), Arizona (23-6) and North Carolina (46-16). The Tarheels went on to upset Miami the next week.

Like I said, we are good and get no respect.

How bad did Texas beat A&M? Laugh.

12. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Arizona only won three games this year and North Carolina turned around and lost the next game they played, typical up and down North Carolina team. I stand by what I said, Utah is a mid-major having a good season, next year when they lose their coach they will be back to reality

13. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't know what you think you are proving, but let's consider what you left out of your little evaluation... "How bad did Texas beat A&M?" I assume you are talking about point spreads; so Texas beat A&M by 13, Utah beat them by 20. Okay, make of that what you will. But note Utah beat Arizona, as you say, by 17, while USC beat them USC beat them by 40, and California beat them by 38. As for North Carolina, Utah beat them 30; Louisville beat them by 34. Does Louisville deserve Utah's spot for a BCS?

In case it's not point spreads, what were you basing your pleas for respect upon? As if point spreads prove anything anyway, is it because Utah is a 'better' team than Texas that QB Young blundered by holding the ball out near the goal line that resulted in a 14-point swing, that the score was not Texas 33, A&M 6 (a better point spread than Utah's over A&M)?

14. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes.

This is one team that isn't getting any BCS sympathy... or love.

I am interested in seeing how the Utes fair against a really good football team. Unfortunately, the debate may not get settled since the most likely BCS opponent for Utah is whoever slinks in out of the Big East.

I would personally like to see them matched against One of the other undefeated teams.

BTW, watching the ND-USC game left me with the impression that either OU or Auburn can run all over USC. Further, I think the team speed on defense for both would not allow USC to do what they did to ND when the running game wouldn't go.

I now firmly believe that either OU or Auburn should beat USC therefore the odd man out should be USC.

You could justify it as payback for last year if the PAC-10 weren't so pathetic after the top 2. But if it is payback, why punish Auburn? OU is the one who got the undeserved shot last year.

15. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is the exact same argument I used to make against Oklahoma and Nebraska in the old Big 8... although the Utes did play a better non-conf schedule than Nebraska used to.

16. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So does that mean we agree or that we don't agree?

17. Pete Richert

Pete Richert New Member

Arizona and North Carolina are terrible. North Carolina got lucky agaist Miami. 49 out of 50 times that game is going to Miami.

A&M is the only real win for Utah. And like go2church says, it is a lot easier to win one big game then have to win three straight on the road.

But I certainly support Utah over anything that is coming out of the Big East.

18. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    HEY HEY Utah beat Wyoming and we are bowl-eligible at 6-5 (nobody wants us since we only send 2 or 3 fans to a bowl game). And I was at the Wyoming whupping of Ol Miss.

Those rebs ran out of oxygen at 7400 feet! (I think the only other Wyoming wins were against high school teams).

Still rankles me to see Utah in some polls BELOW Texas. They'd have a hard time against USC (although ND dominated USC in the first quarter last week). And prolly against Auburn.

But I'd put them up against any of the one-loss teams this season. And against Boise State in the snow!

19. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This really is a matter of the second string. This where the difference between the majors and mid-majors shows itself in a huge way. Oklahoma has a second string that would start in most other places, Utah has second stringers that would still be second stringers or even third stringers at major programs.

What would happen if the NCAA limited the scholarships to 70 instead of the current 85? What would that do to parity? BTW the NFL only allows 53 or 55 players with 8 on the practice squad.