1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Be Fruitfull and Multiply

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Shortandy, Jun 25, 2008.

1. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not too long unless we learn to eat strong spices like most of them do. I hear it jacks up the metabolism and powers up the breeding capabilities.:wavey:

2. donnA

donnA Active Member

I was completely unaware we were in a 'breeding' contest with anyone.
    The verses saying to be fruitful and multiply and replenish the earth were spoken to Adam and Eve, it is not a command given to every human being. And if it were given to all man kind, then it means the muslims too.

3. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yup. And they're good at it, too. :laugh:
    I guess one factor in their favor is they have multiple wives.
    just look at the Texas FLDS families.

4. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

You missed my point rbell. As the parents grow older, maybe 20 years past Social Security, how much money do you think it will take to sustain you through those years. Social Security will not come close to sustaining you. God told us to be fruitful, multiply and replenish. We have not done so. 2.9 children per family will not be able to bear the burden of an aging generation. You do the math and you will see that the number is around 4, at the minimum, for the next generation to be able to take care of aging parents and raise their own children. That money needed is above the SS or savings of the retiring parents. As I approach that magical age of 65, (in14 short years) I am very concerned over the down turn in the economy. I can't rely on SS or the ever loosing 401k. Nor do I want to burden my 2 children who by that time will have families of their own as well as the aging in laws. If it were not for two miscarriages we would have 4 children. God put my wife and I in this situation and I believe that He will see me through what ever comes to my wife and I as we reach our retirement years.

It is not a scriptural number rbell but 4 is the number that will make you a lesser burden on your children as we get older.

Look I agree that we should trust God for our needs. However when we deny His Word that tells us to replenish the Earth, we will reap what we sow in disobedience. His Word tells us throughout that children are a blessing. This world today tells us that they are not and are even a burden if you have more than two.

Who are we to believe the world or the Word of God?

Mel

#44 Palatka51, Jun 25, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2008
  5. TLB

TLB New Member

:wavey: hi am i a breeding baptist i am doing my part. i have 7 children and one on the way.:thumbs:

amen! children are not expensive, lifestyles are.

let me tell you, as an only child (me)....this stinks.

see, most people (not saying *you*) don't know the difference in a want and a true need these days. we are not rich by any worldly standard however, we have what we need and on one income. yes, a family of 9...soon to be 10 on one income <shock>. * it is my dh's job to work for money and my job to make the money work for us * giving in to all of (or even most of) a child's wants will lead to them being self centered.

amen!
    there seem to be a lot of people who are losing their focus.

i'm guessing you have never seen a well working, large family.:tear: how better to learn how to care for your future family & home that practice from the time you are young?

umm....haven't you ever heard of someone getting pregnant while using birth control?? in my case, birth control was/is a false since of security.

now...to say that everyone should have 4 children....i think that is going too far. there are some people that shouldn't have children at all. like the lady who asked me if i knew what birth control was.....yes lady i do, and i sure hope you are using it. :laugh:

6. donnA

donnA Active Member

You have to feed them and clothe them, and that costs money, pretty hard to do when the money does not exist.

you mean do mother's job for her, if mother can't do it herself, she has too many children already.

7. TLB

TLB New Member

true food and clothes do cost money. yet, there are plenty of ways to earn money.

and no, i in no way mean for a child (no matter the age) to do a mother's job for her. but, if you do not want a child doing what a mother should...then older children/teens should do their own laundry, baby sit, drive to school or where ever, run errands for mom or dad...or even brush a their own teeth..after all....if a mom can't bush her child's (of any age) teeth then she shouldn't have had that child?

ETA:
    hey....isn't motherhood the one job you are suppose to work yourself out of by making sure your child is self sufficient????????

i saw you and your family went through a time (not sure how long it lasted) of major hardship (at best).....while i am very sorry you had to endure this, was your financial status the same the whole time you were bringing up your children? did things get better?

lol...and as i have a few children who have proved it, no matter what we do to prevent having children, God can override it. we have children that we were "trying" to have for 2+yrs and then we have children who we were trying to prevent that are here in spite of what we did.

#47 TLB, Jun 25, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2008
  8. donnA

donnA Active Member

not many here, maybe you should go back a page or two and read my post.

This is a little ridiculous.

Not by giving a mother's job to older children to tend to the younger children.

It was not for a time, it was 10 years, and it did not get better during that 10 years, except the fact we had indoor water.
    Once my husband was able to fnd a 'public' job( meaning a not farming job), it got a little better, not a lot, it took several more years before it got better. But within a year we were able to move to a house with a bathroom and hot water, we still struggled with basic necessities.

9. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

My mother had four kids and each of her four kids had four kids (including me) and all four of my kids had four kids. Now my grandkids are having kids!

I guess my mother started a Baptist 'tribe'. :)

In the old days, older children were always taught to help out with the chores at home and their younger siblings. It was a mother's responsibility to teach them so they would be able to do it when they got married.

I think a lot of this vandalism, etc. started when the mother's stopped instructing their kids and making them help out.

The kids had 'idol hands' and went around doing nothing but loafing and getting into trouble. At least that's my take on things.

Children need to be kept busy, especially in their teen years, and not left to their own devices. They are also happier that way.

The large families I have seen have been taught to respect and protect their siblings and they truly love each other and have stayed close even after they were married. That, alone, would be a good enough reason to have them learn how to tend to the other children.

We have families in our church who have anywhere from 2 to 12 kids. They are the most loving and obedient children I have ever seen. The dad works and the mom stays home.

None of us has ever been 'rich', but we are not poor. We have everything we need and a few of the things we want plus a loving family relationship.

It just doesn't get much better than that! :)

#49 I Am Blessed 24, Jun 26, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2008
  10. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

But suppose every Christian couple in the world produced 20 children - would that increase the number of Christians? If it would, why do we not read of Jesus telling His followers, "I will build my church, but make sure you have as many children as you can, to help it grow"? In the eyes of the world, children of Christian parents are themselves Christians by default. But that is not the biblical teaching. John 1.12-13:

12 But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, to those who believe in His name: 13 who were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.

Having Christian parents is a great blessing, but it does not make a person into a Christian.

11. I Am Blessed 24

Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it.
    Proverbs 22:6

12. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I think having children is a blessing and I have 4 blessings of my own (plus 2 in heaven) but what if we were to bring others to the Lord? Get into OTHER families? Then if that person were to minister to their own family and those in their family came to the Lord, then we would be multiplying much faster than just having children. If one person had 5 children, it would take years before they would multiply but if one person led 5 to the Lord, how many more would be believers at the end of 20 years?

13. Shortandy

Shortandy New Member

Christian parents most certainly increases the chance that the kids will be Christian. And you are right Jesus never said make sure we have lots of kids to help the church grow but the bible does say that chilren are a gift from God that the fruit of the womb is a reward yet we limit these "blessings" and "rewards" becaue we love prosperity more than children. And why is it that none have touched on the reality that it takes an average of 40 baptist to reach one? Evangelism isn't going to do it alone!

14. Shortandy

Shortandy New Member

Again I assert....it takes an average of 40 Southern Baptist to reach one. If we are relying on evangelism only we will be dead in a matter of generations.

15. Shortandy

Shortandy New Member

Multiple Wives

It has ben mentioned serval times that Muslims have multiple wives. How is this a valid argument?

16. Sopranette

Sopranette New Member

You also should consider, when speaking about the Muslim influence in France, that France has had a military prescence in places like North Africa since WWII, therefore, it is understandable that there is a large number of North African Muslims in France. France is also a relatively small country in comparison to places like the U.S., so the percentage seems bigger than it actually might look to most Americans.

love,

Sopranette

17. I Am Blessed 24

It only takes two, the person and the Holy Spirit.

Just because someone said it takes 40 people to reach one doesn't make it true. That is just one person's opinion.

18. Shortandy

Shortandy New Member

Yes thank you for being so spiritual:applause:

You know what I am saying. Our evangelistic efforts are horrible. Don't believe me? Just take a poll of people in your own church. There are people who have been saved longer than I've been alive who have never shared their faith one-to-one in their life. People are not sharing their faith enough or at all in our churches. Therefore when you look at the numberof people being led to Christ in a year and divide that by the number of members in a church you see, on average a 40 to 1 ratio. You church may be a little better but I bet you it's not as low as 15 to 1.

19. Shortandy

Shortandy New Member

True statements but it is still true that the Muslims are having more kids. France will be a Muslim nation is a matter of generations. Now it would take much longer in our nation, no doubt, but the fact is we are being outbred.

20. donnA

donnA Active Member

Do we have scripture that tells us to 'outbread' anyone? No we do not.