1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Be ye not unequally yoked....

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Salty, Feb 5, 2012.

1. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I have. Now it is up to you to give your application of the scripture since you say mine is incorrect.

2. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Excellent points!

So go ahead and give us your application of the scripture in question.

3. targus

targus New Member

If one grants that your assertion is correct what are the limits?

Does buying groceries yoke you to the storeowner?
    Does paying taxes yoke you to all of the government?
    Does living on your street yoke you to all of the other homeowners on your street?

What are the limits?

If you cannot define the limits how do you know that it also applies to casting a vote for political office?

4. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    So what is the answer then? Do we ignore the scripture or do we study it and learn how we should apply it to our lives? Take a look at it and give me your conclusion.

5. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

I have no need to since I consider it to be a nonissue.

6. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I wasn't saying that you do, I was just making a statement. God bless you for your stand on the abortion issue.

7. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I understand. It is the answer i expected.

8. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Listen guys, choosing to ignore scripture will not excuse you from it. I have dealt with it, if you believe I have dealt with it incorrectly then please give your own instructions on how we as Christians should apply the passage in question. Why should this be something you wish to avoid?

9. targus

targus New Member

You have not dealt with it at all other than to make your unsubstantiated declaration.

You have not shown that it applies to casting a vote for a political office.

You have only declared it.

You have given no analysis to how avoiding being yoked is to be applied to our daily lives otherwise you would be able to apply it to other situations...

...like making a purchase from a store, or paying taxes, or living on your particular street.

10. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Stever - Can you show me the verse that says that we are to vote for Christians? I still can't find it!

But what I said way back when is that I will vote for the man who has the moral values closest to me. He may not believe as I do as far as "religion" but I'd rather have a moral Mormon in the White House than for an immoral "Christian" as we've seen in the past. I will not vote for a man just because he labels himself a Christian because that has become a cultural label today, not a label of the heart. A man can claim himself a Christian yet be prochoice and that bothers me. I will not vote for ANY man who is prochoice. Ever. I don't care if he is a preacher of a Baptist church and a brother in Christ. He will never get my vote. Instead, I will look at the whole man and will set aside his personal religious beliefs and go instead with his values that will affect policy in the White House and will vote for that man who believes closest to what the Bible teaches.

11. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

Perhaps it is not a case of ignoring Scripture. Simply put, a relationship that you consider to be yoking is not viewed in the same way by others.

Rather that issue homework to others, you may try making a better case. So far it's not convincing.

12. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Are you looking for the word vote? Like the word "abortion" or "pro-choice" or "Trinity"? Not sure why you are confused about the challenge. Look at the scripture in question and just tell us how we should apply it to our lives. This should be a very simple task.

Amen! Now do a study on what the bible teaches about being yoked together with unbelievers and give us your application. Shouldn't be difficult.

13. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Why the dance targus? I gave my application of the scripture, you do not agree, that is fine. Now give us your application of the scripture. Why is this so difficult for you?

14. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    It appears that no one is able to give a simple application of scripture! I gave mine and you don't like it. So give us yours. I could write out a case for the Trinity and those who dont agree will just say I didnt make my case or the word Trinity does not exist.

So I get that you believe I amde no case. So just give us your application of the scripture, something, anything, it shouldn't be difficult or time consuming. I would think that all Christians would desire to understand and apply ALL scriptures to their lives.

15. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

And with the government we have now, I need to move to a deserted island and be my own government to not be yoked to unbelievers.....

16. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

Maybe you should try to explain it again, because you've not convinced me yet- either by Scripture or logic. It's your argument and your responsibility. Do your own homework instead of assigning it to others.

Again I say I think, as to the relationship between a voter and a candidate, it is a nonissue.

To accuse people of ignoring Scripture over this is nothing more than a poor debating tactic.

17. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

Steaver- If your voting criteria requires that the candidate only be someone that you can be equally yoked with, would you be willing to say who the last three presidential candidates you voted for were?

18. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

I've often thought that'd be a pleasant existence, as long as it was in the Adriatic. King Arbo and Queen Wifey has a nice ring to it. :D

...And King Arbo's first act as head of state would be to take a looong nap.:sleep:

19. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I get it Ann, you don't like the scripture and you don't want to deal with it. Scripture dismissed for you!

20. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I get it Arbo, this particular scripture has no meaning for you. I understand.