1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Be ye not unequally yoked....

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Salty, Feb 5, 2012.

1. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Get over yourself steaver. You have no idea. I'm yoked with unbelievers just by being a citizen of this country. I got some news for you. So are you. SURPRISE!!!!! Your president is a heathen!! You are yoked to him!!! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

2. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I began voting with GWB, twice, then I voted for McCain last time.

Do you see how I have no problem answering your questions. How about you tell us what the scripture in question means to you?

3. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    If you don't understand the scripture Ann just admit as much. No need to get mad at me for asking you to give your understanding of it.

4. targus

targus New Member

You have made no argument at all.

What you are doing is proof texting.

Proof texting is not a study of Scripture.

Proof texting is simply pulling an isolated verse out of Scripture to "prove" a preconcieved opinion without regard for context.

5. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Still waiting for your application of the scripture..................

Complaining about my application is not instructive.

6. targus

targus New Member

Proof texting is not an "application of Scripture".

Your belief that it is however is instructive.

7. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

Another example of a poor debating tactic.

You give others homework, hoping to win an argument by picking apart their views on the subject. You will not go beyond a declaration of your opinion, refusing to actually explain why it is you believe what you believe. I really wonder if you even have thought it out, or if this conversation is merely a contest of some type to you.

#47 Arbo, Feb 7, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2012
  8. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

And why did you vote for them?

9. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Hmmm....more questions, but you won't answer any of mine.

10. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Post #7, #16, #28

You need to read all the post, maybe you jumped in later or just missed them. Anyways, there they are, I explained why I believe the way I believe.

Now how about you give it a shot? Read the scripture, might take a minute or two, then tell us how we should apply it to our lives.

11. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

Opinion with no Scripture cited to reinforce claim.

Though I agree about being accountable, I consider the elected politician an employee. In the context of the relationship, he is not my equal. He is an employee.

Nothing noteworthy here.

As I said before, I believe the Scriptural reference to unequal yoking does not apply to this type of relationship. It is a nonissue with me. You may accuse me and others of ignoring what the Bible says of the subject, but that's okay. The absence of any better argument on your part, other than a declaration of what you think without a Scriptural reason for why you think it, causes me to conclude that you are either in a sense writing rules that aren't there or you don't know what you're talking about.

12. billwald

billwald New Member

Don't the majority of the people on BB doubt that the majority of professing Christians are true believers? OK, add that majority to the number of people who don't claim to be Christians and seems to me we are talking about a supermajority of US voters.

Electing a "true believer" would be unequally yoking a super majority of the population.

13. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Opinion with no Scripture cited to reinforce claim.

I believe the Scriptural reference to unequal yoking does apply to this type of relationship. The absence of any better argument on your part, other than a declaration of what you think without a Scriptural reason for why you think it, causes me to conclude that you are either in a sense writing rules that aren't there or you don't know what you're talking about.

See how this doesn't help the debate any?

Here's how debate works; I tell you how I believe the scripture should be applied and then you tell how you believe the scripture should be applied.

Very simple. What we are lacking in this debate, with you and the others, is that no one has given their position as to how the scripture should be applied. If any of you would, then maybe iron could sharpen iron a bit. But nobody is even trying, they just want to ignore the text.

14. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Hey, Billwald! A new voice added into the debate, well, not much of a debate yet, no one will give their side of the application. Anyways, maybe you could give me your application of the scripture in question? Teach billwald! Teach! Give me something! No one wants to touch it!

15. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

I claim only personal opinion. Never anything else.

You seem to be getting cranky. I think I'll find another sandbox to play in.

16. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

Good luck Billwald...:laugh:

17. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    No need for luck Billwald.....just read the scripture and tell us how to apply it to our lives.

18. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    "Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?" (2Cor6:14)

We are looking for some input from the board as to how we should apply this to our lives.

The scripture states "what communion hath light with darkness?"

Communion;
    1) fellowship, association, community, communion, joint participation, intercourse
    a) the share which one has in anything, participation
    b) intercourse, fellowship, intimacy

We see some key words here; association, participation

One's vote cast for any particular person is participating in that person's endeavor to be their representative. Association is obvious.

Do we understand what representative means here folks?????? I am beginning to wonder if folks understand how this system works.

19. billwald

billwald New Member

How much explaining does the visual picture of an ox yoked to horse require? Even if they both work at plowing the results will be inferior. Sounds like Congress.

20. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bill excellent point! :thumbsup:
    Therefore, if a Born again Christan wins an election - with the votes of non Christian - then as Bill asserts that winner is now unequally yoked according to Steaver

According to Wikepedia Yoke A yoke is a wooden beam, normally used between a pair of oxen or other animals to enable them to pull together on a load when working in pairs,...

From Strongs

Okay - interesting discussion but -
    As shown above, a yoke puts two together going the same direction without being able to be separated.

This would be true of a marriage, business partnership, ect.

However, this does not apply to voting - as I may speak out against the President or other elected official. I can move out of my apt if I disagree with the land lord, I may shop at a supermarket, but I can protest the fact he sells beer.
    I am not "yoked to those I listed in this paragraph.

So Steaver - if in the fall the election would you vote for the moral non-born again Sanatorum or the professing Christian Obama?