1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Be ye not unequally yoked....

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Salty, Feb 5, 2012.

1. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Half true, it puts two together. Whether they are going the same direction depends on if they have the same destination in mind. If one ox stands still and refuses to move while the other tries to move forward, they will not go any direction. Likewise, if one turns left and the other turns right they will not move.

"Can two walk together, except they be agreed?" (Amos 3:3)

If I vote for Romney, I say I agree with him. Careful who you walk with Salty.

2. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I believe the scripture says it's an ox and a ass. I'll leave it up to the reader to distinguish which is the believer and which is the unbeliever. :tongue3:

3. targus

targus New Member

So following Steaver's forced interpretation of a single verse of Scripture...

No believing Christian should ever run for any political office so as not to be yoked to unbelieving voters.

No believing Christian could then ever vote so as not to be yoked to an unbelieving politician.

Therefore believing Christians should stay away for politics and leave the running of the country to unbelievers as God wants it to be. :rolleyes:

4. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I just realized something - Stever is a Hyper-Calvinist!

Because if I try to witness to a non-Christian, I am now yoked to him. If God wants you to become a Christan - he will allow it to happen.

Stever, where is your Amish community in Central Penna located, I need to come join you:jesus:

#64 Salty, Feb 8, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2012
  5. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Salty dear friend, familiarize yourself with 2 Tim 2:14-16.

Then read and understand Heb 5:14.

Then you will be a man spoken of by Mal 3:18.

Godspeed! :praying:

6. targus

targus New Member

Steaver, so that I may better understand your interpretation of Scripture...

Is the elected representative also then yoked to the voters that put him in office in your understanding?

If a believing Christian is put into office by voters who are not believing Christians is that not also a violation of Scripture then in your understanding?

7. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

Believing Christians also shouldn't drive on the roads. When driving you enter into an agreement with other drivers while sharing the road. It's inevitable that there would be unbelievers on the road.

Believing Christians shouldn't be on the Internet. Their Internet provider surely aren't believers and so the believer is unequally yoked in this business relationship.

8. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You would be correct, if it works one way it must work both ways.

Nevertheless, the scripture dictates what our actions should be and not any world system that we may find ourselves living in.

This may sound like an impossible situation and it is why some Christians believe Christians should not participate at all in elections. They do have a point they can certainly make from the scriptures for this pov.

You have a good point Targus, but it does not change the scripture's instructions. Representative government does fall under the yoke. Christians need to deal with it.

If your vote is part of placing an unbeliever into office then in part you are responsible for that unbelievers pollicy actions they implement. We have a good example in the White House right now. Obama would not be there without the votes of believers who put the unbeliever in office. What did they expect? Did they expect an unbeliever to care about the unborn? Did they expect an unbeliever to be telling the truth in his pretty speaches?

Obama is a perfect example why believers should not be yoking up with unbelievers. Don't expect an unbeliever to tell you the truth or put the lives of people before his own power hunger.

9. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Slow down guys, you are making yourselves look bad.....2Tim2:14-16

10. targus

targus New Member

Then you agree that no believing Christian should run for political office since the majority of voters are not true believers?

And by extension should believing Christians also not vote for even a believing Christian since it would require the votes of non-believers to elect that Christian politician? Wouldn't I as a believing Christian voter be yoking myself to all the non-believers who also voted for the same politician?

#70 targus, Feb 8, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2012
  11. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    These are very goood questions. I can see why some Christians believe Christians should stay out of politics all together. I don't think a Christian representative would be unequally yoked if the majority of their voters support came from Christians. However, I do see your point. Something to consider indeed, for the Christian voter as well as the Christian candidate.