1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Beat Bama!!

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by TomVols, Oct 20, 2006.

1. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Moderator's Note

Ken, we get it. I'm as tired of your "Mighty Tennessee Vols" spiel as I am your and Scott's "Wait til Nov 11." Both are entering their third thread. Enough. Mod action will be taken from here on out.

2. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I haven't said anything about waiting until Nov 11. I like discussing football and why we think one thing or another should/could/will happen.

I don't know really why Ken feels compelled to downgrade everything UT does or accomplishes. I guess it might be because of feelings similar to mine toward UF.

As for your assessment, I'm not sure how you knock what the secondary did against Bama. Their only good play all day was a Hail Mary. Beyond that they were held to less than 150 passing and less than 100 rushing... the total I think was 211 with the 40 yarder. 171 of real offense is a pretty good defensive day. They held Bama to more than 100 yards less than their average... less than UF did.

The WR insights were dead on. Someone else needs to get with the package.

3. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I'll simply cite Mike Griffith's own grading from today's KNS. The seconday got the worst grade of the defense, thanks in part to some (Mostly early) miscues on short and medium passes. Bama converted a fair pct of 3rd downs in the first half. Fair or not, the DJ Hall play was misplayed by the DBs. Wade made some good plays but got away with interference more than once. The secondary makes me nervous, especially with the upcoming games against SC, LSU, and ARK.
    Good enough to win against a Shula offense...but the 40 yarder doesn't count? :tongue3:
    Florida might be the only team in the east with a worse secondary than ours.
    There have been some criticisms leveled towards Cut for not integrating Smith and Taylor more. I don't think it's fair re: Smith. Taylor has not yet proven himself. Austin Rogers is going be be out for a while. There aren't other options unless we count Stanley Asumnu :tongue3: Maybe he'll pick up the game so he can get a catch before the end of the season, maybe against UK or Vandy.

Updating Coker: outside chance he could be back if UT got to Atlanta, but unlikely. He's more likely to be ready for a bowl game.

4. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Bama players are publicly criticizing Shula for kicking a FG in the 1st half on 4th and goal from the 1. Ouch.

A Bama player was allegedly almost bitten by UT's "Smokey" mascot. Is it bad if I laugh?

5. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sounds like a team on the verge of collapse. They pull it together or they may fulfill their 3 year pattern even considering the weak teams remaining on their schedule.

Yes. It would be bad btw... it is kinda funny but I'm glad it was just "almost".

6. TomVols

TomVols New Member

What the heck is a Bama player doing that close to Smokey during warm-ups?

7. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Alabama chokes more than a pug dog in a Lego factory.

8. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm really not trying to disparage what Arkansas has done but Bama's chokes are what I've been pointing to in comparing UT and Ark.

You can't say that Bama didn't choke against Arkansas. Their kicker clearly could have won the game for them in both regulation and OT.

I'm not sure what they did in the UT game that would qualify as a "choke". In fact, the only choking was on the otherside of the field with several dropped passes and 3 first half INT's. UT's defense manhandled Bama's offense. UT's offense played very poorly for them and yet still put about 100 yards more on Bama than their season average. Ainge was only the second QB this year to throw for over 300 against them.

Bama didn't commit turnovers. They didn't have an abnormal amount of penalties. They didn't have persistent missed tackles or blown coverages. IMHO, Bama played over their heads. They played about as well as they could have expected to play... UT is just better than they are this year by a pretty good margin.

UT brought its "C" game. Bama brought its "A+" game... and UT still won.

9. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    [​IMG]

10. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I don't know that Bama brought an A+ game because that would mean they executed at that level across the board. Darby didn't but Johns did in a limited role. Prince Hall was a beast. Simeon Castille played very well, though helped by poor decision making by Ainge and bad route running. But Bama's OL was manhandled by UT's DL in the 2nd half. I'd say Bama played "A" ball in the first half but overall I'd grade their game as a "B" or "B-". UT tried every way in the world to lose that game until the 4th quarter, so I'd definitely say we played a C to C- game.

Maybe if Bama had went for the TD instead of Shula going for the FG, and maybe if Castille had tried to deke Ainge on the INT return, then it would've been a big Bama win. Those are big "ifs" however, and what seperates this from the ARK loss is against ARK you can point to a missed PAT and what, one or two FGs? That's a tad different "choke" than UT's game, which I wouldn't call a choke. Remember: ARK has had Bama's number over the years, and UT/Bama is a war that is low-scoring and decided by a touchdown or less more often than not.

Remember when, during the '86-93 streak, we couldn't beat those guys? Swap jerseys last Saturday and that's what it would've looked like. Or replay the tape from last year's game :)

11. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Once again, all you have to do is look at the stats/facts behind the score. UT 3 TO's, Bama none. UT had several dropped passes. I don't remember any clear "drops" by a Bama receiver.

You can't say that UT didn't stop Bama's O. They simply dominated them. Without the hail Mary, Bama would have had less than 175 in total offense.

On the other side of the ball, Bama didn't stop UT but a couple of times. Otherwise, they stopped themselves through turnovers and unforced errors.

12. TomVols

TomVols New Member

The reason we don't remember a lot of drops is Bama caught the ball :BangHead:
    Actually, I do remember a drop or two, but in the 2nd half Wilson was running for his life or picking Shields-Watkins turf out of his face mask.

13. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Exactly my point. Bama didn't making any glaring errors. They simply got beaten individually and collectively by better players and a better team. I don't think they did anything to beat themselves. I don't know what more they could have done with the players they have. IMO, they brought the best game they had. UT clearly didn't.