1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Become one flesh

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Plain ol' Ralph, Oct 11, 2004.

1. Plain ol' Ralph

Plain ol' Ralph New Member

Sorry, your response is contradictory to your earlier response. You have said two things once again. If the first marriage stands, a subsequent marriage constitutes adultry. Unless the couple repents they cannot be forgiven for the divorce and subsequent adultry, however there can be no turning away (repentance) if they continue in the adultrous relationship of their current marriage. (If you do not want to consider this adultry through remarriage a continuous state, fine. You can consider it a single act repeated over and over again.) Do you understand the paradox? You simply cannot have it both ways.

At some point, however uncomfortable it may be, you must accept that the marriage union is dissolved by divorce. Everyone agrees that divorce violates the institution of marriage established by God in the beginning. That is not an issue.
    </font>[/QUOTE]No, you're confusing the word marriage and remarriage as the latter being adultry, it's what consumates that remarriage which is the act of adultry.

By your estimation by divorce breaking the vow of Holy matrimony, then you have our Lord allowing violation of two Laws, the first being breaking the vow, the second being the act of adultry, that is your paradox. Two wrongs NEVER make anything right!

Remarriage is only that: RE-Marriage. It's that which is under the guise of Holy Matrimony as that blessed privilege of marital relation; SEX.

Sex outside the first marriage is either fornication/ before marriage, or adultry.

What happens here is that the Lord is not the lord of bondage in the sense that once the first vow has been broken, that anyone is under that same condemnation for the sin of adultry once forgiven, but the breaking of the vow still stands, it is blaspheming against what the Holy Ghost has made witness to in the vows exchanged in the performing the marriage.

If any of you that have any question of what I am saying, please repeat after me?

I,______, promise to love, honour, cherish, and obey,...for better or for worse, in sickness and in health, 'til death do us part.

But some would have that read, "Except that devil sleep with another, I'll divorce his ..."

Sorry, that is neither found in scripture, but only in the minds of the apostates.

But then we are faced with your dilemma, why is it a "divorcable/exception clause" ONLY against the woman? Would this same "exception clause" be against the man also for even looking upon a woman to lust after her? Nope! Better pay closer attention to exactly what Jesus said

2. Plain ol' Ralph

Originally posted by Pastor Larry:
    ""Divorce breaks the marriage bond no matter whether the reasons are "good" (adultery, desertion) or bad. Scripture does not clearly state that the divorced must reconcile or hope their partner bites it. That is an extremely unbiblical attitude to hope someone bites it. The Scriptures do plainly say that if a divorced person remarries, they have not sinned, even though they should strive to remain unmarried (1 Cor 7). ""

You mind showing us all WHERE in the following we find your concoction stated above?

I Cor 7:1 Now concerning the things whereof ye wrote unto me: [It is] good for a man not to touch a woman.

1Cr 7:2 Nevertheless, [to avoid] fornication, let every man have his own wife, and let every woman have her own husband.

1Cr 7:3 Let the husband render unto the wife due benevolence: and likewise also the wife unto the husband.

1Cr 7:4 The wife hath not power of her own body, but the husband: and likewise also the husband hath not power of his own body, but the wife.

1Cr 7:5 Defraud ye not one the other, except [it be] with consent for a time, that ye may give yourselves to fasting and prayer; and come together again, that Satan tempt you not for your incontinency.

1Cr 7:6 But I speak this by permission, [and] not of commandment.

1Cr 7:7 For I would that all men were even as I myself. But every man hath his proper gift of God, one after this manner, and another after that.

1Cr 7:8 I say therefore to the unmarried and widows, It is good for them if they abide even as I.

1Cr 7:9 But if they cannot contain, let them marry: for it is better to marry than to burn.

1Cr 7:10 And unto the married I command, [yet] not I, but the Lord, Let not the wife depart from [her] husband:

1Cr 7:11 But and if she depart, let her remain unmarried, or be reconciled to [her] husband: and let not the husband put away [his] wife.

1Cr 7:12 But to the rest speak I, not the Lord: If any brother hath a wife that believeth not, and she be pleased to dwell with him, let him not put her away.

1Cr 7:13 And the woman which hath an husband that believeth not, and if he be pleased to dwell with her, let her not leave him.

1Cr 7:14 For the unbelieving husband is sanctified by the wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified by the husband: else were your children unclean; but now are they holy.

1Cr 7:15 But if the unbelieving depart, let him depart. A brother or a sister is not under bondage in such [cases]: but God hath called us to peace.

1Cr 7:16 For what knowest thou, O wife, whether thou shalt save [thy] husband? or how knowest thou, O man, whether thou shalt save [thy] wife?

1Cr 7:17 But as God hath distributed to every man, as the Lord hath called every one, so let him walk. And so ordain I in all churches.

Pay real close attention to verse 11 now?

3. MTA

MTA New Member

I have not confused anything. I understand literal adultery. That is not the issue.

That really makes no sense Ralph. Of course if you want to be specific, the Lord allows both inasmuch as He does not prevent us from doing either. However, no one has said that the Lord sanctions our actions that are contrary to His will for us either, so please stop attempting to make that an issue. It is not! Besides, where in the world did you get the "two wrongs making a right" point? Stay on topic brother!
    Thank you for clearing that up. You really mean this adultery stuff has something to do with . . . shhhhhhhhhhhh . . . engaging in S E X while still married???
    Blaspheming against the Holy Spirit????? My friend, you better revisit your position! Blaspheming against the Holy Spirit is the unpardonable sin. Luk 12:10 And whosoever shall speak a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but unto him that blasphemeth against the Holy Ghost it shall not be forgiven. Breaking a promise (vow) is not blaspheming.
    I have never read these words in my Bible. Where are they located? There is nothing wrong with the words and we place great importance on them, but they are man's words. The reality is that you can be married at a courthouse and you never have to repeat anything. You are still married and you haven't promised anything.
    Marriage is an institution whereby a man and a woman covenant to live together as one. It is legitimized by the recording of a license and is in effect until 1) either spouse dies, or 2) the marriage is dissolved by law. There is no other authority that legally obligates a man and woman to each other as man and wife . . . PERIOD!

Ralph, this is not MY dilemma. As far as I am concerned this dilemma is yours.

4. Bible Student

Bible Student New Member

quote: "Marriage is an institution whereby a man and a woman covenant to live together as one. It is legitimized by the recording of a license and is in effect until 1) either spouse dies, or 2) the marriage is dissolved by law. There is no other authority that legally obligates a man and woman to each other as man and wife . . . PERIOD!"

MTA: My question (just so I understand your point) can a man and woman who is a christian marry and divorce as often as they wish without any Biblical mandate for or against it.

I am trying to understand the comment above and how you relate it to the Bible.

Thanks
    Richard [​IMG]

5. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

We have a number of members who don't have marriage licenses yet claim to be 'married' in covenant marriages. :eek:

6. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Yes, at least the one pushing for divorce (the deserter). If both were wanting the divorce, then both would be brought up for discipline.

7. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

8. MTA

MTA New Member

No. I am in complete agreement of the sanctity of marriage and doing everything possible to preserve the institution of marriage. However, divorces do happen for unscriptural reasons. My issue was that some feel that the couple remains married after the divorce proceedings are finalized. Consequently, a divorced couple in those circumstances are living in an adulterous relationship. My question was How could a couple in this situation ever find forgiveness? They obviously could not ever repent under those circumstances.

9. Sularis

Sularis Member

Larry - Larry - Larry

1) I have NEVER EVER said "Hope your partner bites it" - So stop the rhetoric you so claim to despise!

2) You talk of laws and such and remove them from God so that you can break them - In the beginning it was NOT so - God is the source of all laws legal and spiritual. Let no man put asunder what God has joined....

3) How would God put asunder two people? This is actually a curiousity based question. Since while God could do it - I do not see Him doing it.

4) Based on the above can you tell me what the perfect ideal is?

5) This is if you get the answer to 4 correct - Should we not strive for the perfect ideal?

10. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

In your post on page 4, from October 19, 2004 12:59 AM, you said Scripture clearly states that divorced stay divorced or reconcile or hope their partner bites it. You may have forgotten you said it, but you did. You were out of line.

I have not removed any law. In fact, I have shown from the OT Law that divorce did indeed break a marriage and that God did allow remarriage after divorce. As you say, these laws come from God. It is his word. I didn't make this stuff up. YOu refuse to deal with it.

God does not put asunder two people. I never said taht he does. I merely recognized, as the Bible does, that divorce does end a marriage. Marriage can be broken, though it should not be.

I don't know what "above" you want me to base this on, but the biblical teaching on marriage is that it should be one man and one woman for life, living together in Christian harmony and companionship.

Yes, I have said that from the beginning. I have never condoned divorce. I think it is always the result of sin. It is never God's ideal. I am not sure how to make that any clearer. You can go back on numerous threads on divorce and see that I have said the exact same thing.

But I have also recognized that divorce does end a marriage, even when that divorce is sinful. The Bible clearly teaches that. Think of it this way: If divorce does not end a marriage, then on what ground did the Law prevent the remarriage of a divorced person to their original spouse (Deut 24). Under your thinking, they would have never been divorced. God said clearly that they were divorced and could not remarry.

11. Plain ol' Ralph

Now we see just how LITERALLY confused you are.How do Christians maintain this "separation" of the literal from the spiritual?

Yeah, God doesn't prevent us from sinning either, but that doesn't change anything, except we have sinned, which you've introduced the topic of sin/divorce/adultry/sin as the means of dissolvoing that which God deems as Holy, you blasphemed against the Holy things of God, that which the Holy Ghost commands NOT to be transgressed, and somehow you think you haven't blasphemed against the Holy Ghost?
    :rolleyes: :(

If it's not blasphemy, then what is it? It's total disregard for that which IS Holy, that's blasphemy, friend, blasphemy.

Now I suppose you need everything SPELLED out for you? Now we cannot see anything as being taught in PRINCIPLE in the Word of God, so anything NOT S P E L L E D out is allright with you?
    [​IMG] :rolleyes: :( :rolleyes: [​IMG]

You put a "PERIOD!" at the end of that quote, BUT!! Now we all see that your estimation of man's law somehow OVER-RIDES God's Law!!!!!!

(Rolling eyes all over the floor and sucked down the drain!!)

That's where you, and multitudes of others who believe what you do ERR! You really do need to learn the BIG difference between a vow to God
    and a "promise" between men and women.

I really believe God doesn't take our vowing as lightly as you do. BTW, NEITHER DOES GOD!!!

12. Plain ol' Ralph

13. Plain ol' Ralph

No. I am in complete agreement of the sanctity of marriage and doing everything possible to preserve the institution of marriage. However, divorces do happen for unscriptural reasons. My issue was that some feel that the couple remains married after the divorce proceedings are finalized. Consequently, a divorced couple in those circumstances are living in an adulterous relationship. My question was How could a couple in this situation ever find forgiveness? They obviously could not ever repent under those circumstances. </font>[/QUOTE]Uh, wrong, men are still sinners after salvation, but theri sins are forgiven, and those sins committed after salvation are works, which will be burned up at the Judgement Seat of Christ as wood,hay,and stubble, simply because they do not honour God and are cleansed by the Blood of Christ.

You keep involving the area of unforgiveness and placing it on the level of men. Go One step higher, call on God concerning these issues, He upbraideth not. [​IMG]

14. Plain ol' Ralph

Just thought I'd POINT out this contradiction of yours. :rolleyes: [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

15. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

First, I would be interested to see where I added "re" on the front of anything. I cannot find it. I think you didn't read closely.

But if you read what I said above, you would see how wrong your statement is. I already explained your direct question. I explained teh context. v. 27 present two kinds of people. THe first phrase refers to those who are "bound to a wife." That is what we call "married." Paul tells them not to seek a wife. The second person is one who has been loosed from a wife. That refers to someone who is divorced. (A single person was never loosed from a wife; he never had one). Paul says to the person "loosed from a wife" (i.e, divorce), that they should remain single. But if they marry, they have not sinned.

16. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

Just thought I'd POINT out this contradiction of yours. :rolleyes: [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] </font>[/QUOTE]Again, if you knew the Scriptural teaching on divorce and remarriage, you wouldn't have said this. There is no contradiction in what I said. It is what I have said from the beginning. This passage contradicts your position. Here is teh passage and you can read it for yourself.

Deuteronomy 24:1-4 "When a man takes a wife and marries her, and it happens that she finds no favor in his eyes because he has found some indecency in her, and he writes her a certificate of divorce and puts it in her hand and sends her out from his house, 2 and she leaves his house and goes and becomes another man's wife, 3 and if the latter husband turns against her and writes her a certificate of divorce and puts it in her hand and sends her out of his house, or if the latter husband dies who took her to be his wife, 4 then her former husband who sent her away is not allowed to take her again to be his wife, since she has been defiled; for that is an abomination before the LORD, and you shall not bring sin on the land which the LORD your God gives you as an inheritance.

So quite clearly, I was right. God gave an instance where a divorced couple was not allowed to remarry their original spouse. What does that tell us? It tells us very plainly that the couple in question was not "still married in God's eyes." If they were still remarried, then God would not have commanded them not to remarry.

Ralph, The longer you go in this, the more you seem to demonstrate that you don't really know what Scripture says about this. YOu have listened to a few well meaning men who have taught you part of the story. But you cannot simply omit the passages of Scripture that don't quite fit your position. You have to realize that divorce does end a marriage and God recognizes the end of that marriage. You have to realize that in some cases, God did allow remarriage. The Deut 24 passage, among others, clearly teaches that.

17. Plain ol' Ralph

I don't hold to your doctrine, false doctrine, you're adding to scripture.

Show me ONE place where the LORD said "re-marriage"? It's NOT in His vocabulary, but it is in yours.

Why, even try "marry again", for instance, NOT there EITHER.

The scripture says "marry" NOT "re-marry".

You are wresting at scripture, friend, wresting.

18. Plain ol' Ralph

The condition of her re-marrying began a new vow, the old one broken, yes, and was before the second vow renewable, but now the second vow took precedence to be upheld, the first never being annulled.

The first husband would have committed the offense of adultry to the second vow, you cannot justify sin by sin, friend.

19. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

I have not added to Scripture. EVerything I have said here, I supported with Scripture. Sorry, Ralph. That is just the way it is. I don't think we need to talk about remarriage. Let's just talk about what the Bible says. There are clear instances when the Bible talks of previously married people getting married. Talk about those and quit dodging it.

20. Plain ol' Ralph

Go ahead, get upset. That is NOT "just the way it is".

Your references are not aligned with your premise, so face it.