1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Becoming Elisabeth Elliot ...

Discussion in 'Books & Publications Forum' started by Just_Ahead, Dec 4, 2020.

1. Just_Ahead

Just_Ahead Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am a guy in my 70's.

When I was decades younger, during a job commute, I used to listen to Elisabeth Elliot's radio program Gateway to Joy. Her voice grew on me as I drove. It was not an exciting voice, nor was her radio program an exciting program. But I grew to look forward to what she had to say.

One day before her death I gathered the courage to contact her. I reached her last husband: Lars Gren. We talked for a few minutes and I ordered some CD's of her program that he was selling. At that time I had a niece in college and I made a present of the CD's to my niece.

Today it is possible to listen to Elisabeth Elliot on broadcasts of Gateway to Joy (15-minute recordings) on affiliates of the BBN satellite radio stations. I am blessed to have a BBN affiliate in my local community.

In September 2020, her daughter Ellen Vaughn published an biography of her mother, which is available in print, kindle, and audible format.

Becoming Elisabeth Elliot
    (B&H Books)

#1 Just_Ahead, Dec 4, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Just_Ahead

Just_Ahead Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Opps!

Ellen Vaughn, the author of Becoming Elisabeth Elliot is NOT the daughter of Jim and Elisabeth Elliot. Ellen Vaughn is a professional Christian writer who worked for the Chuck Colson prison ministries.

Below is a link to an online photo of Valerie Elliot Shepherd, the daughter of Jim and Elisabeth Elliot.

About Valerie Elliot Shepard ยท Elisabeth Elliot

#2 Just_Ahead, Dec 4, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Just_Ahead

Just_Ahead Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I decided to bypass reading Ellen Vaughn's biography Becoming Elisabeth Elliot.

Instead, I have began reading the following book published by Elisabeth Elliot during her lifetime.

Elliot, Elisabeth. (2002) Secure in the Everlasting Arms: Trusting the God Who Never Leaves Your Side. [A collection of missionary glimpses into the lifelong adventure of Elisabeth Elliot"s adventure of living the Christian life, combined with faith-sustaining snippets of other Christian pilgrims. All these missionary stories appeared in The Elisabeth Elliot Newsletter during the 1990s.]. Grand Rapids, MI: Revel, a division of Baker Publishing Group.

Secure in the Everlasting Arms: Trusting the God Who Never Leaves Your Side

Link to the website of the Elisabeth Elliot Website. If you like the work and life of Elisabeth Elliot, you will like the following Elisabeth Elliot Website, which appears to be recently launched.

Elisabeth Elliot

#3 Just_Ahead, Dec 4, 2020
    • Like Like x 1