1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Beer Summit

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by steaver, Jul 31, 2009.

1. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Of course not. Divine inspiration is not synonymous with command from God. But if it is a command from God, v 7-6 commands us to get people drunk: "the Give beer to those who are perishing, wine to those who are in anguish; let them drink and forget their poverty and remember their misery no more."

2. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's good.

When he opens his mouth, he already makes about the same amount of sense as a drunk.:thumbs:

#22 carpro, Jul 31, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2009
  3. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In this modern context one drink ie a full container as in a cup, glass, or can, renders you drunk. The alcohol content is not the same as it was in scripture. If you doubt this drink one and then take a breathalyzer and see if you can drive legally.

4. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Depends on the drink. Wine, the most common drink in the days od scripture, contains about 12%, which arises from the fermentation process. Wine today has the same amount of alcohol content as it was in scripture.

The bottom line is that Christians are permitted to consume alcoholic beverages. They are not permitted to get drunk. There's a difference.
    Good point. The average adult male can have two glasses of wine and pass a breathalyzer test.

#24 Johnv, Jul 31, 2009
  5. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

Lev 10:8ΒΆAnd the LORD spake unto Aaron, saying,Lev 10:9 Do not drink wine nor strong drink, thou, nor thy sons with thee, when ye go into the tabernacle of the congregation, lest ye die: [it shall be] a statute for ever throughout your generations:

"The context is very explicit when it notes that the LORD spake unto Aaron, saying, Do not drink wine nor strong drink. Had Nadab and Abihu sinned as a result of being intoxicated? There is a possibility that such was the case. Nevertheless, God will not have His priests drink intoxicating beverages. The same restriction is placed upon God's kings, lest they "...forget the law, and pervert the judgment..." (Prov 31:4-5). God refers to New Testament believers as kings and priests (1Pt 2:9; Rev 5:10). Surely we ought to be above reproach at all times in this matter. Social drinking is the allurement of Satan. The only option for a believer who desires to maintain a good testimony is total abstinence, even abstaining "...from all appearance of evil" (1Thess 5:22)."

The above from The King James Bible Commentary; James A. Borland, Th.D. Professor, Liberty University B.A., Los Angeles Baptist College; M.Div., Los Angeles Baptist Theological Seminary; Th.M., Talbot Thoelogical Seminary; Th.D., Grace Theological Seminary.

Jesus was not sitting as High Priest at the time of His drinking of wine. He had stepped down from the throne to be a servant of men and a sacrificial Lamb for the world. So the 'Jesus drank wine' argument doesn't work in this issue. The scripture is clear on priests and kings drinking wine, God has commanded it not be done by men in these positions. (Also see 1Ti on the instructions for bishops).

We are commanded also to study and rightly divide the word of truth. If you have concluded that Proverbs 31 is just some babel and not an instruction from God then I would exhort you to restudy this issue and use the helps God has given us in commentaries and teachers who have really put some time and prayer into exegesis. They are given us for helps.

:jesus:

#25 steaver, Jul 31, 2009
  6. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    He is a public servant holding the highest office in the land. What he does in public is everybody's business. He also claims to follow Jesus Christ, if he does, then he is accountable to other Christians as well. The scriptures instruct us to exhort and admonish one another.

Jam 5:20Let him know, that he which converteth the sinner from the error of his way shall save a soul from death, and shall hide a multitude of sins.

7. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    A powerful word from our Lord! :thumbs: Thank you!

8. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Such a fuss over a mug of beer. Tsk tsk.

Sad to see such trouble BREWING. Obama was just trying to HEAD off trouble before it ALES the entire country. People were FOAMING at the mouth over the situation. If he can TAP into what the other two were thinking, it may be resolved prior to going to court and having to DRAFT a complaint. I am glad he HOPS onto a problem before it goes any futher. The only improvement I could have made is to have held the meeting in MALTa.

9. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

You said "He is a public servant." That means he is the servent of everyone, and not your interpretation of Baptist doctrine or the Bible.

Those who are focusing in on the beer in this situation are totally missing the point of making the Presidency a media circus. I know we do not have royalty in this country, but that office deserves as much respect as any earthly institution. If Obama wanted to help resolve this situation (which is none of his business) he could have done it out of camera range.

I do not drink, and see nothing but trouble in it. However, all some can see is that giant beer bottle in front of their nose, and fail to see anything else going on.

10. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yea it is always good to hop onto a problem you helped create but it is better to admit you helped create it.

11. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I assert no such thing. I assert that it is what is says it is. Prov 31 does not claim to be a command from God. It claims to simply be a list of sayings of Lemuel, king of Massa, who leared these sayings from his mother, and it does this in Verse 1.

If you assert that Prov 31 is a command from God, then you must assert that people who are poor and feel miserable should be encouraged to get drunk, as per verse 7: "let them drink and forget their poverty and remember their misery no more". Based on that, I should be allowed to go home and get plastered, and it would not be a sin.

12. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Good point. He could have had the meeting without the giant mug of beer. What was the beer for? Why didn't they do a camera shot of holding hands in prayer? Beer is a god in this country among the common folk. They use their beer god as an idol for uniting together. Christians should reject this god and ask for the Spirit to be the focus. This is a Christian board, you would think that Christians would have an ability to discern between good and evil.

Why the beer? Looks like an idol to me. Something used to unite adversaries together. I wonder why God did not cross their minds. They could of had a bible in front of each person instead of a beer. Why a beer? Have an answer?

13. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I have studied the passage as the "Word of God". Are you suggesting it is not the word of God?

Every passage is God speaking. We are commanded to study and rightly divide. Not dismiss and ignore.

14. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Good post, and I agree about the beer, as long as it is put in perspective of all the other garbage going on. The whole event had no reason to be covered by the media. If I am arrested tonight, do you think the President is going to invite me to the White House?

Alcohol is nothing but destructive even without the Bible. It breaks up families, causes loss of jobs, kills people on the highways, and takes money away from families.

Biblical life styles are only common sense. They prolong life, and make life more fulfilling. I am not going to get into the Calvin debate here, but it seems what keeps people from going to the Lord for salvation is a fear of missing out on some worldly vice, usually drugs or alcohol.

15. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    If you study and rightly divide the proverb you will find that verse 6&7 is speaking of those who are in physical pain, they are suffering and likely are on their death bed. Strong drink is given unto them to dull their pain. Soldiers did this in battle often times when medical treatment was either slow or not available.

The verses do not "encourage drunkenness". That would go against many passages of scripture. So as one studies, drunkenness is eliminated as a possible command form the passage.

I do assert that verses 3,4&5 are commands from God to kings and priest. It is the Word of God.

I also assert that verses 6&7 are commands from God to use strong drink as a medicine of mercy to those suffering, possibly near death. It is the Word of God.

Jesus was offered strong drink as He was suffering on the cross. but He refused to finish His work unto death with medicine to dull the pain.

God's word also instructs us to use wine for the stomach. God's word never encourages drinking wine to get drunk.

Here is the passage you need to pray about...

2Ti 2:15Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

:godisgood:

16. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Amen! :thumbs:

17. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

'Cause they're Muslims?

(I agree with you by the way)

18. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Amy, your like an old friend that pops up from time to time. I don't know if we ever disagreed about anything! :laugh: I appreciate your post.

God Bless you sister!

19. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I'm completely aware of that, and am in agreement with you.
    That ignores the verses that came before it, which state very clearly that this chapter is simply a list of sayings. It it by no means a biblical command forbidding people in positions of authority from consuming alcohol. However, vs 3-5 do indeed denote how unwise it is for people in authory to become intoxicated.
    I'm not suggesting that at all. I assert that it is what is says it is. Prov 31 does not claim to be a command from God. It claims to simply be a list of sayings of Lemuel, king of Massa, who leared these sayings from his mother, and it does this in Verse 1.
    Correct, we are indeed commanded to rightly divide with Word. A rightly divided understanding of Prov 31 is that it is not a list of commands from God, but instead a list of sayings of Lemuel, king of Massa, who leared these sayings from his mother (it says this in Verse 1).

Again, if you assert that Prov 31 is a command from God, then you must assert that people who are poor and feel miserable should be encouraged to get drunk, as per verse 7: "let them drink and forget their poverty and remember their misery no more". Based on that, I should be allowed to go home and get plastered, and it would not be a sin.

#39 Johnv, Aug 3, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2009
  20. donnA

donnA Active Member

don't care about the beer at all. what I do care about is police doing their jobs called stupid and racist by the president for making a person caught breaking into a house prove their identity and that they actually own the house and aren't just breaking in, all because they're black, what racism this beer summit was.