1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Being "Charismatic"

Discussion in 'Evangelism, Missions & Witnessing' started by wishtolearn, Dec 2, 2001.

1. wishtolearn

wishtolearn New Member

Can someone explain to me what this means? I see and hear it mentioned but do not understand it in a religious sense.

2. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The way it's described, pertaining to religion today, is those people/denominations that utilize charismatic practices; i.e., those practices that 'appeal' to people, and get them "excited." These practices typically include being slain in the spirit, speaking in tongues, etc.

3. wishtolearn

wishtolearn New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by wishtolearn:
    Can someone explain to me what this means? I see and hear it mentioned but do not understand it in a religious sense.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Being slain in the spirit? Please explain

4. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Where one's spirit is supposed to leave the body and be in Heaven or with God for a short time. Characterized by people suddenly dropping to the floor and being absolutely still (passing out).

No scriptural support for it. The only real recording of being slain in the spirit was Paul, and he was stoned first.

5. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

To put it simply, a charismatic believes that, while all believers are guided by the Holy Spirit, believers recieve the "infilling" of the Holy Spirit in a one time act called "the Baptism of the Holy Spirit" or, "the Second Baptism".

Many charismatics, but not all, believe that the evidence that you've been Baptised of the Holy Spirit is speaking in tongues.

It's very important to remember that not all charismatics speak in tongues of practice being "slain in the spirit".

Being "slain in the spirit" (which is an unBiblical practice) generally means that the believer is so overwhelmed with God's presence that the physical body loses consciousness.

I've heard people say that God can gives visions during this time but never having experienced it (and not believing it), I don't know.

There are a lot of people who will take this opportunity to bash charismatics but please remember that there are a lot of charismatic churches that are orthodox.

Personally, I knew it was time to leave when I saw the majority of the charismatic movement moving toward the unbiblical (and, frankly, idiotic) practices of the Brownsville, Pennsecola and Toronto "revivals".

The charismatic church I was in condemned these practices and taught against them but there were more and more individuals who were being decieved by them.

Mike

[ December 03, 2001: Message edited by: Smoke_Eater ]

6. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just a note of caution, please continue to keep a strictly objective tone to this thread. If we do not take care, this is a topic that can lead to a discussion that sheds more heat than light.
    I return you now to your regular programming,
    Robertsson

[ December 13, 2001: Message edited by: The Squire ]

7. PreacherDave

PreacherDave New Member

With all due respect to the Squire, I will refrain from commenting truly on how I feel about the subject...

On the serious side, having been in the movement for quite a number of years, I am now a New Covenant Baptist having studied deeply the truths of scripture that has led to a solid foundation instead of a relativistic neo-orthodox position. :eek:

If any one truly wants to know biblically why this movement is wrong, send me a private message.

8. PreacherDave

PreacherDave New Member

We ask that you read with an open Bible, prayerful heart and open mind as
    we examine this question: Is our empowering found in a second experience
    after salvation, called Spirit Baptism? Or is our answer for empowerment
    found in the sufficiency of Christ for the believer?
    Who is the Holy Spirit and What is His Ministry? The Spirit of God is not
    a “force,” “wind” or “power”, as cultists often say. Rather, He is the
    Sovereign, holy, Third Person of the Triune Godhead. The Holy Spirit was
    involved in the creation of all things. He was the One Who implanted the
    seed of life into Mary’s womb, was present at Jesus’ baptism, endowed Him
    with power to fulfill the Messianic prophecies of Scripture and was a part of
    the resurrection of Christ. The Holy Spirit is involved in our salvation;
    regenerating us from being spiritually dead in our trespasses and sins, to
    being alive in Jesus Christ. When we are born again, we are baptized into
    the Holy Spirit, and the Spirit gives to us certain giftings and abilities to
    glorify God and edify the rest of the body of Christ. He continues to convict
    us when we sin, and illumines God’s Word to us so we can both understand
    and obey the Lord. We receive blessings from the Holy Spirit, which include
    wisdom, sanctification and the ability to persevere in our faith. (Study
    these verses: Genesis 1; Luke 1:35; Matt. 3:17; John 14:26; 12:49; 16:7; 17:8,14;
    Rom. 6:4; Gal. 1:1; 1 Pet. 1:3; John 10:18; Rom. 8:11; Heb. 9:14; 1 Pet. 1:1,2; 2
    Cor. 1:21,22; Eph. 1:13; Matt. 28:19; 1 Cor. 12:4-6, 13-14; 2 Cor. 13:14.)
    Other important aspects of the work of the Spirit in the believer include
    His sealing, guaranteeing and anointing of each child of God. We will
    briefly explain.
    In Ephesians 1:13, 4:30 it says that we are sealed by the Holy Spirit. A
    seal in Bible times was a mark of authenticity—proving that something
    truly was of the one who claimed it. The Holy Spirit marks us as God’s own
    dear children! As the believers of Revelation, we carry the mark of God
    upon our hearts, minds & lives. We are authentic children of God—not just
    temporary possibilities!

9. Kenneth77

Kenneth77 New Member

Preach it Brother! :D Amen! :D

I came from an Assemblies of God Church. That is where the Lord saved me. It was an "orthodox" Church. They hardly ever spoke in tongues and didn't believe it was necessary as an evidence of Salvation. But I noticed that they really didn't preach on repentance and Salvation. The pastor mainly preached on prosperity in this world. I personally believe that he and alot of the members of that Church are indeed Christian. I don't understand how people get caught up in those things. I quess it is like a lot of Baptists being legalistic. I will say that I really enjoyed the music, singing, etc. at the Assemblies of God Church. Not saying I don't enjoy the music, singing at the Baptist Church I'm at. If a lot of the Baptist Church's would get more into the Spirit and let God have controll of our services, we could probably keep the number of people going to these Charismatic Churches down. I am in no way saying speak in tongues. I believe Scripture says that gift has passed. I am saying that a lot of the Baptist Church members worry about what others will say about them. So they keep their hands down, a lot have some sad face on all the time. When the preacher is giving the sermon, you want hear an Amen, or Praise God. A lot of our Church's are just buildings. There is no Spirit moving in them. Let's let God have control and quit worrying about what the person beside me is going to say.

Sorry, just my thoughts.
    God Bless, Kenneth