1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Being named a Catholic Saint

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Salty, Feb 19, 2012.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Being recognized as a Roman Catholic Saint is a long road.

Methods have changed over the past 17 centuries.

Currently one part of the canonization is evidence of one miracle. Since miracles are considered proof that the person is in heaven and can intercede for us. (bold emphasis mine)

Would you consider this idolatry? The RC church says no, because it nothing more than a person carrying a picture of person in their wallet.

Thoughts?

Salty

2. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

The ONLY One who lived and died and can intercede for us is Jesus. By the way, ALL who are born again are called saints in the Bible.

3. Moriah

Moriah New Member

It is horrific what the Catholics do when “canonizing” their “Saints.” They dig up and exhume the dead decayed remains of the “Saint” out of their grave. They put these remains in glass casket to be viewed and venerated by the priests, nuns, and Catholic people. They often encase the dead remains in gold. Catholics bow to these remains; they also pray to them and even ask for healing from them.

Please check out my post about this.

Catholic Influence Demolished Part 2 Pictures.

http://christiandefenseofthetruth.w...atholic-influence-demolished-part-2-pictures/

4. Walter

Walter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I'm surprised your not claiming that the Catholic Church teaches they have 'magical power'. You really need to study harder. The veneration of relics is an ancient custom dating from the reverence shown at the graves of the martyrs even in the time of the apostles.

And as far as your other accusation, St. Jerome (d. 420) wrote in defence of relics: ‘We do not worship, we do not adore, for fear that we should bow down to the creature rather than to the Creator, but we venerate the relics of the martyrs in order the better to adore Him whose martyrs they are.’”

#4 Walter, Feb 19, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2012
  5. Moriah

Moriah New Member

Nowhere in the Bible does God command anyone to dig up decayed remains to be kept outside their grave to be prayed to and healed by.

6. WestminsterMan

WestminsterMan New Member

That's because everything isn't recorded in the bible.

WM

7. billwald

billwald New Member

Boggles my mind that people who bad-mouth Catholics can make pilgrimages to the "Holy Land," as if one plot of dirt is more holy than another.

8. Moriah

Moriah New Member

Therefore, you get to make up things for us to believe as if they were.

9. billwald

billwald New Member

Everything Jesus and the Apostles ever said can be found in the Bible? Or stuff not quoted wasn't important?

10. WestminsterMan

More intellectual discourse and less bleating please.

WM

11. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

What do you think Idolatry is all about??? The children of Israel were commanded by Aaron to bring him their gold. They saw him MAKE the calfs from their own gold in front of their own eyes. They knew the calfs were MADE BY HUMAN HANDS. When they bowed down to them, they were not bowing down to MAN MADE images but they were bowing down to what they believed those VISIBLE MAN MADE IMAGES were designed by human hands to adore, venerate giving them a visual so "better to adore Him" who delivered them through opening the red sea!

Images always BEGIN as something VISUALLY REPRESENTIVE of something unseen.

#11 The Biblicist, Feb 19, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2012
  12. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    "So Moses the servant of the LORD died there in the land of Moab, according to the word of the LORD. And he buried him in a valley in the land of Moab, over against Bethpeor: but no man knoweth of his sepulchre unto this day" (Duet 34:5-6)

I think God buried Moses so His children, who were prone to idolatry, wouldn't dig up Moses bones and worship them.

13. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

If any person other than Jesus could intercede for me, it would be my mom and grandma. I'd be praying to them instead of some person I don't even know. Trust me, they would do anything for me and my grandma was a strong Irishwoman - there was NO saying "No" to her!

14. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

They also have to have had documented healings done either by themselves or in their na,e!

3 reasons WHY not true!

jesus is the SOLE mediator between God and man...

We are ALL priests unto the Lord today!

ALL of us are called saints today, ONLY requirement for that is being saved by grace of God!

15. Melanie

Melanie Active Member
    Site Supporter

The collection of relics has been a cultural thing for generations in the RCC. Personally, I find it repugnant and a bit creepy, but that is a 21st century woman putting her perspective on a long tradition.

To be recognised as a saint in the RCC does NOT necessarily mean that you have bits lopped of your corpse or whatever.

The relics are venerated as opposed to worship which is for God alone.

16. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Same thing, different words.

17. WestminsterMan

In your opinion. Why not consider their intent and the state of their heart in the matter? God certainly does.

WM

18. WestminsterMan

Well I have an image of my wife - its called a photo. She is anything but unseen. Perhaps you should use a word different word from that of "image."

WM

19. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

You forget that I grew up in the Catholic church, went to Catholic school and live in a predominentely Catholic community. I know their intent and the state of their hearts by what I am told.

20. Moriah

Moriah New Member

Venerate is a synonym of worship.