1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Being Slain in the Spirit? Part Two

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Bible-boy, Feb 9, 2006.

1. eloidalmanutha

eloidalmanutha New Member

I am pretty sure we can say that those people were imitating - the Word does not say if they were followers or not. Today's "demon busters", I do not believe are imitating, they truly believe they have power over demons aka been given authority over them.

It seems to be a bit of a puzzle to me, however; that the charis venue seems to focus their attention on rebuking satan/demons, when there is really no instruction on that in the letters of the NT. Although Jesus did state casting out demons to the disciples, I think that it has been taken out of context and is used to the detriment of, not the spreading of the Gospel today. My opinion ;)

Perhaps it is the "quick fix" that so many chase after today. I think that with the completion of God's Word, far more can be done to expose and cause the devil to flee, if we spend time in the Word and understand that it is His Word that cleanses, renews, transforms, and eradicates evil.

James 4:6 But He gives greater grace. Because of this it says, "God sets Himself against proud ones, but He gives grace to humble ones." Prov. 3:34
    7 Then be subject to God. Resist the Devil, and he will flee from you.
    8 Draw near to God, and He will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, sinners! And purify your hearts, double minded ones!
    9 Be distressed, and mourn, and weep. Let your laughter be turned to mourning, and your joy into shame.
    10 Be humbled before the Lord, and He will exalt you.

ps: I am NOT saying that there is never a time to cast a demon aside, in Jesus Name, when it is clear this is His will - but I think it's overdone to the extreme with little to no discernment - again, my opinion . . .

2. eloidalmanutha

my apologies - I DO tend to get rather impatient/critical :rolleyes:

clearly, you and I have differing opinions as to the "spirit of the thing". I suspect that you didn't get a chance to read the seek God articles. I think they really give an excellent historical view of the origin of todays "move of God". I realize that not everyone will agree with the writer or with me, actually very few, to be honest.

It is my testimony, however. It is what I found to be the truth because I held what I believed to God's Word. But you are right, having someone tell you that you are under a seducing spirit does lack in tactfulness, so I do apologize for upsetting you. I readily admit to it myself. I have repeated it often. So it's not like I am aiming at you and not at myself. I am the first to admit I was seduced by and lied to by the devil [​IMG]

3. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

Tam,

You are right; the Lord did not condemn the actions of the other man who would not join Christ's Apostolate.

There is a big lesson here for all of us as Christians.

Ray

4. tamborine lady

tamborine lady Active Member

[​IMG]

eloidalmanutha,

perhaps we should stick with what Jesus said

Luke 9-49 And John answered and said, Master, we saw one casting out devils in thy name; and we forbad him, because he followeth not with us.
    50 And Jesus said unto him, Forbid him not: for he that is not against us is for us.

Shouldn't we just follow what Jesus said?

The people you speak of are not against Jesus!

He said if they are not against us, they are for us!

And some people DO have the power to cast out demons, otherwise we would have a lot of people like the 7 sons of Sceva.

Acts 19-14 And there were seven sons of one Sceva, a Jew, and chief of the priests, which did so.
    15 And the evil spirit answered and said, Jesus I know, and Paul I know; but who are ye?
    16 And the man in whom the evil spirit was leaped on them, and overcame them, and prevailed against them, so that they fled out of that house naked and wounded.

Selah,

Tam

5. tamborine lady

tamborine lady Active Member

I don't think you have been reading my posts. It was NOT God - it was a seducing spirit. Tim does not operate in the power of God. It's the same spirit that is in/on Benny Hinn - not God Benny is into mysticism and nemocracy - that is not God. </font>[/QUOTE]Yes, I have read your posts, and what I see is a very bitter person, who thinks they are on the right track now.

When it is possible that God did call you, and you were on the right track then.

Peace,

Tam

6. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

No it wasn't rocket science for Jesus:

John 8:44 Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it.

And nor was it for Paul:
    Acts 13:9-10 Then Saul, (who also is called Paul,) filled with the Holy Ghost, set his eyes on him, And said, O full of all subtilty and all mischief, thou child of the devil, thou enemy of all righteousness, wilt thou not cease to pervert the right ways of the Lord?

They both had the spirit of discernment, and of love.
    DHK

7. eloidalmanutha

I am sorry ya'all can't except my apology - it was given in sincerity.

As I had said as a postscript - I DID say that by the will of the Holy Spirit, in Jesus'Name, that demons CAN be set aside. I also said that today, that discernment is lacking in this area. Demon bashing and rebuking to the extreme, as if satan is at fault for our choices and our inherrent bent for evil and addictions, and that he is responsible for all illness and suffering - this is simply not Biblical.

If you look back at my posts, the reason that I say that Tim's work is not of God, is because of the base and foundation of his theology. He may believe he is working in the power of the Holy Spirit, but a deeper look at the tree, will show that it is corrupt - by Biblical standards. This is basic theology and discernment that is sadly lacking in the church.

8. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

I think some folks need a reminder of the things that we discussed in this thread.

9. hillclimber

hillclimber New Member

Ray Berrian, where did you earn your Th.D ?

10. Pete

Pete New Member

Quotes here are by Ray Berrian to Bible-boy, copied over from Benny Hinn thread

Bible-boy has done more than suggest that, he and DHK have continually proven it.

Who is the one straining? SITSists have been trying to use passages in Bible of non-Christians falling, and even demonic activity, to somehow make their point. The simple sad fact is that there is NO Biblical backing for today's SITSism.

Gnosticism!

What else could this "spiritual understanding" be called that suggests Saul was saved when he fell when a quick look at what the Bible actually says disproves it? Here is part of one of my posts from the first thread with some simple questions on Saul's position at the end that I still haven't seen answered by a SITSian...

There is no way I could put it better than Bible-boy did in the Benny Hinn thread, so here is that response:

I've also seen the Trinity denied in posts on the Baptist Board by some, so your point is?

Because of SITSian apparent quasi-Gnosticism, demonstrated in placing experiences above what the Bible says and re-interpretation of any passage they can find to try and justify the experience, I see no choice but to call it a false teaching, speak out against it, and walk out if it comes to any Church I attend.

[ March 09, 2006, 07:40 AM: Message edited by: Bible-boy ]

11. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

Pete,

You said, 'Bible-boy has done more than suggest that, he and DHK have continually proven it.'

12. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

You might want to start a thread on Finney. He was a heretic. Here is some information on him:
    A DISTURBING LEGACY
    DHK

13. mima

mima New Member

Hear is a "slain in the spirit" story for you. Once while attending a nondenominational church meeting with a Baptist pastor friend of mine. A pastor from a charismaic church begin to hold a prayer line. Well my Baptist pastor friend says, I'm going to get in line and see what happens. He got in the line and when the charismaic pastor reached out and touched him, down he went with a real bang. He laid there completely out for about eight or 10 minutes and then slowly began to recover and finally got to his knees. At this time the charismaic pastor walke pastor walked back by and gently touched him again and immediately he went back down flat on the floor, out again for about five minutes. Then his wife and I helped him up and into a seat. later when I asked him about this he said, I do not know what happened all I do know is it was not my intention to fall but fall I did, and that's the way it is.

14. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

And this story proves what? Are you saying that the charismatic pastor is/was a dispenser or wielder of the Holy Spirit, that he could direct the power of the Holy Spirit through the touch of his hand?

[ March 09, 2006, 03:48 AM: Message edited by: Bible-boy ]

15. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Is experience the foundation of truth?
    Or is the Bible the foundation of truth?
    The Charismatics choose experience over the Bible, and cannot support their experience with the Bible. The deeper one goes into it the more absurd the experiences: barking like a dog, roaring like a lion, etc. Where are such experiences found in the Bible, and where is there a Biblical basis for them?
    DHK

16. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

Bible-boy,

You said, 'And this story proves what? Are you saying that the charismatic pastor is/was a dispenser or wielder of the Holy Spirit, that he could direct the power of the Holy Spirit through the touch of his hand?'

17. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

. </font>[/QUOTE]If that is the case then you have another eisegetical hermeneutical problem with your proof texts. In neither one of your proof texts was the Holy Spirit dispensed or weilder by the touch of some human's hand.

Are you going to be so bold as to claim that a man can direct the power of the Holy Spirit of God by the mere touch of his hand? If so, think of what you are saying. The logical conclusion of such a thought is that we can manipulate God (namely the Holy Spirit) thorugh the extension of our hands. Why,... that would make us God (or perphaps "little gods"). :eek: Please... :rolleyes:

18. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

Hello Ray,

When Pete uses “SITS” in his posts he has simply created an acronym for “Slain In The Spirit.” You know, he is taking the first letter of each word in the phrase. Thus, “SITS” and a SITSian or SITSist would be a person that ascribes to a belief in being slain in the Spirit. ;)

Yours in Christ,

Bible-Boy

19. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

Bible-boy,

You said, 'If that is the case then you have another eisegetical hermeneutical problem with your proof texts. In neither one of your proof texts was the Holy Spirit dispensed or weilder by the touch of some human's hand.

Are you going to be so bold as to claim that a man can direct the power of the Holy Spirit of God by the mere touch of his hand? If so, think of what you are saying. The logical conclusion of such a thought is that we can manipulate God (namely the Holy Spirit) thorugh the extension of our hands. Why,... that would make us God (or perphaps "little gods").'

20. Pete

Pete New Member

Yep, thanks B-b, saves me reposting the last time I explained it [​IMG] It seems Ray misses some things when reading now and then...but anyways...

I have never said people are not falling down, just that your attempts to Biblically justify the falling down falls down... :D

As I pointed out in previous post, this alleged "spiritual understanding" delivers an interpretation of a passage of Scripture that ignores what the Bible does say. I can't see how a position like that could be called anything but Gnosticism.

More of the usual text-twisting and re-interpretation with assistance from "spiritual understanding" :rolleyes: :(

Oh, and I goofed on one batch of QUOTE tags on my previous post, sorry 'bout that all [​IMG]