1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Being slain in the Spirit?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Bible-boy, Dec 22, 2005.

1. Pete

Pete New Member

I've never been a fan of big quotes and small replies, but all I can say here is "As above [​IMG] "

2. atestring

atestring New Member

I have never been slain in the Spirit.
    If this happens So Be it!
    IF THIS HAS HAPPENED TO YOU . THAT IS BETWEEN YOU AND GOD!
    WOULD IT HARM ME IF YOU GET SLAIN IN THE SPIRIT????
    IF I EVER GET SLAIN IN THE SPIRIT WILL IT HARM YOU????
    BTW
    Is ther any scripture that forbids being slain in The Spirit?

3. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Slain in the "Spirit" is not of the "Holy Spirit."
    Thus if being "slain in the spirit" is of another spirit, which I believe it is in many cases, then yes, definitely, it will do you great harm.
    DHK

4. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

DHK,

If you mean what you said above, DHK, then it must be the truth directly from the Lord. Do you speak ex cathedra? And if you do from what denominational chair?

5. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

Would someone please offer up some Scripture, without eisegesis, to support the idea of being slian in the Spirit? Otherwise, I would expect that we can agree that the idea is a false doctrine and should not be embraced.

6. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

Someone emailed me from another state and I will tell you that he or said he or she is a Baptist and has the 'gift of tongues' and his or her ministry is to be a soul winner and has won many sinners to the Lord.

He said he or she understood you men and your resistance to the truth. I not reveal if he or she is my friend or whether or not he or she is on this Baptist Board.

But, rest assured that I am telling you the truth. Now either you trust my credibility as a man of God or you will say I am making this up. Your choice!

Although I never spoke in 'tongues' I hate to hear people twist the Scripture in making up their own idea of truth. But, I must admit that I like the Apostle John, and Paul the apostle and millions of other Christians have been 'slain in the Spirit.'

And the discussion goes on.

Ray

7. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

Hello Ray,

None of the above speaking in tongues stuff has anything whatsoever to do this thread on being slain in the Spirit. Please get on topic and stay on topic.

Likewise, you claim that John and Paul were "slain in the Spirit." However, we have shown conclusively that in order for you to make that claim you have to resort to eisegesis of the text.

You agreed that eisegesis was an unacceptable hermeneutical method and that it leads to improper exposition and flawed biblical interpretation. However, when the tried and true hermeneutical method of exegesis results in a conflict with your predetermined belief system you chuck it (exegesis) out the window so that you can maintain and embrace your presupposition regarding this issue.

Your stated belief in the principles of hermeneutics and the practical working out of your Theological position on this issue do not agree. You have given intellectual assent to the principles of sound hermeneutics and solid exegesis. However, when they result in a conflict with your presupposition on this issue you embrace eisegesis. This is a violation of the Law of Non-contradiction (to which you also previously agreed), and as such makes your entire line of argumentation here invalid.

So please either provide Scripture that supports your position, without depending on eisegesis, or acknowledge that it is a false doctrine that should not be embraced.

[ February 08, 2006, 04:15 AM: Message edited by: Bible-boy ]

8. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I speak from the authority of the Word of God, my final authority in all matters of faith and practice.
    I will list for you every single Scripture that deals with being "slain in the spirit." Here they are. Get ready:

ZERO

I can't find the expression anywhere in my concordance (Strong's), or on-line, or in the Greek New Testament, or in the Hebrew Old Testament. It is just not there. There is not a single verse in the Bible that has slain in the spirit in it. It is no where to be found. My authority is God himself. His revelation to mankind is the Bible. I tell you Ray this sometimes "demonic" experience is not of God, is not in the Bible, is a man-made psycological experience most of the time and some of the time a demon-inspired experience. For one to equate it to an experience from the Holy Spirit is borderline blasphemy. That is where the blasphemy would lie. Not the other way around.
    DHK

9. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

Hello atestring,

The above quote is wrong-headed thinking. The first thing you have to do is determine conclusively according to the objective truth of the Word if such a thing happens at all. You can't just assume that it does and that it is from God. What proof does the Bible offer that such a thing happens? :confused:

I don't know if you know this or not, so...

First, the protocol on Internet message boards and chat rooms is that if you type in all caps it means that you are yelling. So please don't yell at us. ;)

Second, Like I said above before we just assume that it happens and that when/if it does it is from God we need to determine if the Bible teaches that it happens at all. :eek:

See DHK's post above. Yes, it could if what happened to me was not of God and I come along and teach you a false doctrine based solely on my subjective personal experience and you do not have enough wisdom to check my false teaching against the objective truth of the Scriptures. :eek:
    Yes, if it is not from God and you come around teaching a false doctrine based solely on your subjective personal experience.
    The better and more important question for you to be asking is, "Does the Scripture teach us that there is such a thing as being slain in the Spirit?" ;)

10. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

DHK,

You said, 'Yes, my church practices James 5:14-16; we anointed someone with oil just this last Sunday evening. And when the person reports that he's been healed, there is not a single person in our church that will say the pastor or any of the other men who prayed over the fellow had anything to do with it. God will be given all the glory.

And for those that didn't catch it, I'm now awake and getting ready to go to work. Still no headache, no blindness, and I'm moving under my own power.

A quick scan of news headlines doesn't show anything untoward going on with Mr. Hinn, either.'

11. tamborine lady

tamborine lady Active Member

[​IMG]

The words "slain in the spirit " was something man made up to explain something happening to them like what you read in the following scripture.

Rev 1-17 And when I saw him, I fell at his feet as dead. And he laid his right hand upon me, saying unto me, Fear not; I am the first and the last:

It still happens today. People are still overcome by the awesome Spirit of God. But don't look for the phrase "slain in the Spirit", because it is not in the bible.

Peace,

Tam

12. Pete

Pete New Member

[​IMG] I love it! :D

Thank you for your understanding he or she. I doubt I will ever understand Ray's resistance to the truth, quasi-Gnosticism and Scripture twisting on this topic. If you have any insights let us know.

Wellllllll, he or she is free to join the BB if he or she wishes, or jump in on the topic if he or she is already here, then maybe he or she will refute the proof given against your attempts at supporting the practice by Scripture twisting here...

Perhaps he or she would answer those questions you keep hiding from on the Acts 9 passage. Why would Jesus ask Saul why is he persecuting Him? Had Saul started to backslide again already? Why would Saul ask who the Lord was if he knew Him at that stage? Why didn't Saul say like Thomas "My Lord and my God!"? As this was a persecutor of the Church being given a wake up call by the Head of the Church he was persecuting, how does this relate to the "slain in the spirit" practice of today?

Come on in he or she if your busy schedule permits.

This isn't the tongues thread....but anyway....

QUICK!! SOMEONE HAND RAY A MIRROR!!

Sorry for shouting [​IMG] But "I hate to hear people twist the Scripture in making up their own idea of truth." GIMME A BREAK! [​IMG] Ray, you have done nothing but twist Scripture to make it match your experience.

You were "slain" like John? Great! Where is your book of the Bible? You were slain like Saul? Great! You weren't a Christian when you fell and the Lord gave you a wake up call?

I do not question your sincerity; but you are sincerely wrong on this topic. There are at least four verses that speak of N.T. people falling under the mighty power of the Holy Spirit that you twist to try to support your experience. None of them do.

I doubt we will be seeing that any time soon...(without eisegesis anyway)

I doubt those here Scripture-twisting will do that either :(

13. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

14. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

This was an isolated incident, as was Saul's experience on the road to Damascus.

15. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

Not every sinner is saved through the same narrow method by the way the Lord deals with them to bring them to Christ. The Lord's providences are often very different among various people.

The Lord does not sanctify or mature us in His faith in the same exact way or providences.

Not everyone will fall under the mighty power of the Holy Spirit. The Lord determines how He ministers among the people of God.

And yet we cannot disavow that two of the Apostolate experienced this unusual phenemenon. Whether it was before being saved or anywhere along the Christian life, it happens to some saints and not to other ones. The Lord is sovereign in these matters.

'As Webdog said, these were isolated incidents.'

Being slain in the Holy Spirit is not necessary for eternal salvation, but it is the way He deals with certain Christian people.

16. tamborine lady

tamborine lady Active Member

[​IMG]

It doesn't matter what you think about it webdog, thats where the expression came from, and it does happen today.

There's one other thing people don't understand, and that is that if the power of God manifests itself, even unbelievers in the path will be knocked over by it sometimes.

That's why the people with Paul fell also when he did. Paul was working for God (he thought), by killing Christians. He used to go into the synagoges and pull them out and slaughter them. He did not know Jesus, but the power overcame him, because Jesus/God is all powerful.

That's why John, who was saved fell as if dead!!

Ther's power in the word. It's not just a history book, it's alive!!
    That's why the unsaved Romen soldiers fell when Jesus answered, "I am he". There's POWER in the words of Jesus".

Even today, when we read them out of the bible.

selah,

Tam

17. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Um...sorry to butt in, but the people with Paul did NOT fall down.

Acts 9:3 And as he journeyed, he came near Damascus: and suddenly there shined round about him a light from heaven:
    4 And he (NOTE: Not "they") fell to the earth, and heard a voice saying unto him, Saul, Saul, why persecutest thou me?
    5 And he said, Who art thou, Lord? And the Lord said, I am Jesus whom thou persecutest: it is hard for thee to kick against the pricks.
    6 And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do? And the Lord said unto him, Arise, and go into the city, and it shall be told thee what thou must do.
    7 And the men which journeyed with him stood (NOTE: They stood, not arose, which is what Paul does in the next verse; note also that "stood" here is a modifier for the next word, "speechless"; it doesn't make any sense that they stood up speechless, but that they were already standing, and stood there speechless) speechless, hearing a voice, but seeing no man.
    8 And Saul arose from the earth; and when his eyes were opened, he saw no man: but they led him by the hand, and brought him into Damascus.

And could y'all help me out? Where's that reference about the Roman soldiers falling when Jesus said, "I am he" found at?

18. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

As Bibleboy said, if you base being "slain" off that incident, it sure better be similar in that those "slain" should be getting special revelation and prophecy to share with the rest of the world! I do not disagree it happens today, but I do disagree as to which spirit is behind it!

19. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

John 18:5 "Jesus the Nazarene," they answered. "I am He," Jesus told them. Judas, who betrayed Him, was also standing with them.
    Joh 18:6 When He told them, "I am He," they stepped back and fell to the ground.

20. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

Hello Tam,

We have already dealt with the interpretation of that passage and shown that the only way one can use it to support the idea of "being slain in the Spirit" is to engage in eisegesis of the text. Furthermore, we already agreed that eisegesis is an unacceptable hermeneutical method that results in flawed exposition and improper biblical interpretations.

So you all must provide some other Scripture to support the idea of being slain in the Spirit, or admit that it is not supported by Scripture and as such it is a false doctrine that should not be embraced.

[ February 09, 2006, 03:43 AM: Message edited by: Bible-boy ]