1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Believe

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by th1bill, Feb 28, 2011.

1. th1bill

th1bill Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    2Sa 6:3 And they set the ark of God upon a new cart, and brought it out of the house of Abinadab that was in the hill: and Uzzah and Ahio, the sons of Abinadab, drove the new cart.
    2Sa 6:4 And they brought it out of the house of Abinadab, which was in the hill, with the ark of God: and Ahio went before the ark.
    2Sa 6:5 And David and all the house of Israel played before Jehovah with all manner of instruments made of fir-wood, and with harps, and with psalteries, and with timbrels, and with castanets, and with cymbals.
    2Sa 6:6 And when they came to the threshing-floor of Nacon, Uzzah put forth his hand to the ark of God, and took hold of it; for the oxen stumbled.
    2Sa 6:7 And the anger of Jehovah was kindled against Uzzah; and God smote him there for his error; and there he died by the ark of God.

The LORD is busy tonight and here I am, at one in he morning, wide awake because God awakened me with a task to perform or Him. When I was first saved there were a number of items that I, simply, had to accept on faith and nothing more. On some things, such as the Trinity, I still hold onto for no other reason than God revealed it in he scriptures, others, because I believed, the Holy Spirit is teaching me about... tonight has been one of those nights.

The 2Sam. 6 passage above, I must admit troubled me for the longest time... twenty-one years now. I know, from experience that this and other passages trouble millions of people to the point that they, instead of digging in to the Word of God, recorded history and the discoveries of the Archaeological Digs to see what is recorded, they begin to, on their own power, to help God by defining God in terms that they can understand! There is nothing more foolish than for the finite to decide to define the infinite and that is precisely what happens when we attempt to put the Creator, God, into any container that is man made.

So... why in the world did God strike a good man, Uzzah, dead for doing a good work? We must go back to the beginning from time to time and this is one of those times. Please read the passage below.

Num 7:4 And Jehovah spake unto Moses, saying,
    Num 7:5 Take it of them, that they may be used in doing the service of the tent of meeting; and thou shalt give them unto the Levites, to every man according to his service.
    Num 7:6 And Moses took the wagons and the oxen, and gave them unto the Levites.
    Num 7:7 Two wagons and four oxen he gave unto the sons of Gershon, according to their service:
    Num 7:8 and four wagons and eight oxen he gave unto the sons of Merari, according unto their service, under the hand of Ithamar the son of Aaron the priest.
    Num 7:9 But unto the sons of Kohath he gave none, because the service of the sanctuary belonged unto them; they bare it upon their shoulders.

The Ark of God was never to “ride” on a cart in the first place! In my NASB Bible I have highlighted the third and the seventh verses of the sixth chapter of 2Samual in red... red for sin. I have been permanently banned from several “Christian” web sites for what I am about to tell you but when I began to preach and to teach the Word of God I did not expect to win the Man of the Year Award and so far, I'm battin' one thousand! God must be listened to!

The Ark should have been carried, in the proper manner, on he shoulders of the Priests given that honor. Now, what in the world is the Life Application for the truth about this disliked and distrusted passage of scripture? The application is so wide and so varied that I or any other of God's teachers could preach for the rest of our lives on this one passage and never exhaust it. I'll default to the simple and just say that it applies to every aspect of your life, all the way down to getting dressed in the morning.

God, in His infinite wisdom, has given us the road map to Holy Living, it's known as the Holy Bible and if we intentionally disobey God, we run the same risk that Uzzah did and can be struck dead for it! It is absolutely true that God is the God of love... at the same time, it is absolutely true that our Loving God is the God of Righteous Wrath!

2. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Leviticus 10
    1And Nadab and Abihu, the sons of Aaron, took either of them his censer, and put fire therein, and put incense thereon, and offered strange fire before the LORD, which he commanded them not.

2And there went out fire from the LORD, and devoured them, and they died before the LORD.

3Then Moses said unto Aaron, This is it that the LORD spake, saying, I will be sanctified in them that come nigh me, and before all the people I will be glorified. And Aaron held his peace.

God is still God;
    39See now that I, even I, am he, and there is no god with me: I kill, and I make alive; I wound, and I heal: neither is there any that can deliver out of my hand.
    Acts 5
    1But a certain man named Ananias, with Sapphira his wife, sold a possession,

2And kept back part of the price, his wife also being privy to it, and brought a certain part, and laid it at the apostles' feet.

3But Peter said, Ananias, why hath Satan filled thine heart to lie to the Holy Ghost, and to keep back part of the price of the land?

4Whiles it remained, was it not thine own? and after it was sold, was it not in thine own power? why hast thou conceived this thing in thine heart? thou hast not lied unto men, but unto God.

5And Ananias hearing these words fell down, and gave up the ghost: and great fear came on all them that heard these things.

3. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Do you know what story that reminds me of in the New Testement? Annias and Saphirah when they lied about their offering to the Lord in Acts. Sometimes, it takes a deeper look to understand stories that at first glance seem unfair to us. I think in this case, it was not the amount in itself the Lord cared about, but the deceit that went along with the representation of the offering.

4. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes,the deceit. We serve the same God in this era of God's grace as the God described in the Old Testament. Don't mess with the Lord.