1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Believer's Baptism

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by bound, Feb 14, 2009.

1. bound

bound New Member

What is the strongest Biblical argument for Believer's Baptism? What 'hope' do we have for salvation in a regenerative 'spiritual' Baptism?

2. Darron Steele

Darron Steele New Member

I do not understand your question.

Are you wanting a case as to why Christians should be baptized in water?

Are you wanting a case as to why people should be baptized only after becoming believers?

Something else?

3. bound

bound New Member

The later... I'm wanting a scriptural argument for Believer's Baptism.

4. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Define "Believer's Baptism".

There is John's baptism with water to announce the coming of Jesus' baptism with the Holy Ghost. Pre-cross.

There is the baptisim by Jesus with the Holy Ghost regeneration to those who ask Jesus to save them. Post-ressurrection

There is the baptism by one believer of another with water as one professing an allegiance to Jesus Christ. Also post-ressurrection.

Not sure what you mean here. Any "hope" for salvation is faith in Jesus Christ alone and what He has done for us.

God Bless! :jesus:

5. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

If we're dealing with hope in water baptism here, there is no hope.

6. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

One is baptized in water after believing in Christ out of obedience and to show their identification with the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus.

One is indwelt by the Holy Spirit and regenerated upon faith, not upon baptism.

Therefore we have been buried with Him through baptism into death, so that as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, so we too might walk in newness of life. Rom 6.4

having been buried with Him in baptism, in which you were also raised up with Him through faith in the working of God, who raised Him from the dead. Col 2.12

As they went along the road they came to some water; and the eunuch said, "Look! Water! What prevents me from being baptized?"
    [And Philip said, "If you believe with all your heart, you may." And he answered and said, "I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God."]
    And he ordered the chariot to stop; and they both went down into the water, Philip as well as the eunuch, and he baptized him. Acts 8.36-38

7. PastorGreg

PastorGreg Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Believers baptism - Acts 2:41, "Then they that gladly received his word were baptized..."
    Acts 8:36-38 "The Eunuch said, See, here is water, what doth hinder me to be baptized? And Philip said, If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God. And he commanded the chariot to stand still: and they went down both into the water, Philip and the Eunuch, and he baptized him."
    What hoep do we have in a regenerative spirit baptism? None.

8. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

If baptism were the be-all and end-all of salvation, why did Paul and Jesus not baptize everybody around.

Jesus never baptized a single person in his entire ministry.

Paul mentioned a couple that he did baptize, and couldn't remember if he had baptized another.

9. bound

bound New Member

This one what what I was trying to remember... The Eunuch. Thanks PastorGreg.

Also, there are other examples of individuals being baptized but not receiving the Holy Spirit. Does anyone know where these examples are in the Sacred Text?

10. Agnus_Dei

Agnus_Dei New Member

Acts 8:14-17
    Now when the apostles who were at Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received the word of God, they sent Peter and John to them, who, when they had come down, prayed for them that they might receive the Holy Spirit. For as yet He had fallen upon none of them. They had only been baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. Then they laid hands on them, and they received the Holy Spirit.

In XC
    -

11. bound

bound New Member

What is the Baptist understanding of this 'Laying on Hands'? Isn't this out of order?

12. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

This is the scriptural authority for those faiths that practice the rite of confirmation. We also see this laying on of hands in Acts 19:6, where some believers at Ephesus had been baptized improperly. After baptizing them in the name of Jesus, Paul laid his hands upon them and the Holy Spirit came on them. In both instances, the believers did not receive the Holy Spirit until hands had been laid on them.

Baptists don't practice laying on of hands except in ordaining deacons and ministers of the gospel. Scriptural authority for this is found in Acts 6:6, 1 Timothy 4:14 and other places in 1 and 2 Timothy. Sometimes if I am offering a prayer for someone in a hospital or nursing home, I will lay my hands on their head or shoulders. It seems comforting to them.

13. bound

bound New Member

Hi Zenas,

Thanks for your comments. Do Baptists see the Holy Spirit coming upon these individuals as 'regenerative' or more in the sense of a 'blessing' or anointing?

14. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

Probably the latter, although Baptists don't talk about these two events very much. I don't ever recall teaching a Sunday School lesson on the subject and I've been teaching more than 25 years. I don't recall a sermon on the subject either, although I probably heard a couple because we once had a pastor who preached through Acts.

Sometimes it's dangerous to be analytical because you back yourself into a corner, but here it seems like a good approach. Can you be saved without receiving the Holy Spirit?

IF YES, then the Holy Spirit coming upon these persons was in the sense of a blessing or anointing.

IF NO, then we have believers who had made professions of faith but were yet unsaved. In that case the laying on of hands (or perhaps the baptism with the men at Ephesus) was salvific in nature.

According to your profile, you're a Baptist. What is your take on these events?

15. bound

bound New Member

Actually, I grew up Baptist (Southern)... by I'm involved with a non-denominational house church of about 30 members at the moment. We practice literal anointings of the sick and periodic blessings by the laying on of hands by the community. I'm not sure what institutional Baptist Parishes feel about these practices but we believe them to be Biblical and an organic part of the early church.

My view of these passages, on first blush, would be that they are examples of early church anointings of the Priesthood of Believers. Everyone possibly received such laying of hands as everyone was thought of as members of the Priesthood.

I agree with you that I don't think, in all honesty, that this is an example of regeneration but probably the anointing of the members with 'gifts' of the Holy Spirit. I like your comments regarding being careful not to analyze ourselves into corners though. Great points.

16. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

I don't understand your point. If we are not regenerated by the Holy Spirit and indwelt by Him there is no salvation.