1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Believers resort to flash mobbing.

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by pinoybaptist, Dec 23, 2012.

1. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    http://www.theblaze.com/stories/christians-stage-stunning-nativity-flash-mob-inside-ca-mall-in-response-to-atheist-led-war-on-christmas/

Throughout 2012, Santa Monica, Calif., has been home to intense debate over the separation of church and state. Following atheist furor over a traditional nativity scene, the city decided to ban religious speech in Palisades Park. We’ve already reported about the live nativity loophole Christians used to ensure that symbols pertaining to Jesus’ birth appeared in the park — but some believers also resorted to another tactic: Staging a “Nativity Flash Mob” inside of a local shopping center.

In an effort to prove that celebrating the Christmas season in its true form is a societal right, Christians from Metro Calvary Chapel in Santa Monica and others from around the Orange County area put on an unexpected holiday show at the Santa Monica Place Mall on Dec. 16th.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
    (sad that Christians and similar believers who are the MAJORITY in this country, which is supposed to be the best showcase of religious freedom and republican democracy in the world, need to resort to flash mobbing just to express their faith publicly because of a NOISY MAJORITY :tear:).

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And what is sad about it?

And we do not live in a Democracy.

3. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

There is nothing sad about it, whatever it takes to tell the Good News. Last year there were flash mobs in malls that did the Hallejuah Chorus. More power to them. And you are quite correct, we live in a Democratic Republic.

It seems that being against flash mobs would go along quite well with not spreading the Gospel since it is already set in stone.

4. pinoybaptist

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    what is sad about it ?
    Let me tell you why I think it is sad.
    Back in the early 70's when Mr. Marcos first declared martial law in my old country, he suspended the writ of habeas corpus and a lot of other rights which in a constitutionally ruled country should be as common as the air you breathe, like the right of the people to peaceably assemble in redress of their grievances.
    In theory any citizen then could assemble peaceably and address their grievances to government. In theory.
    And since you've never lived under a dictatorship you will probably find it hard to appreciate the loss of liberties.
    So, what we did, was to resort to what our media of that time like to called "lightning demonstrations", very similar to what this Christian group did, the difference being this group didn't have to scatter spikes to flatten tires of vehicles in main roads and side roads that the police and military could use to respond and break up the demonstrations.
    But this Christian group, like us in those days, faced the very real possibility of being arrested for violating a ban which shouldn't be there in the first place because the nativity scene they had to flashmob for was a very much accepted tradition in the city, if you read the news, UNTIL A NOISY MINORITY decided they were offended, and the city decided they didn't want to be branded politically incorrect and they caved in to the demands of the noisy minority.
    I agree that flash mobbing can be a great idea, but only if there was no other reason than for the joy and thrill of it, and not because THAT WAS THE ONLY THING TO DO to be able to share the spirit of the season, which is still what the MAJORITY of Americans want to do, I believe.
    That's what makes it sad.
    To need to do what could be called illegal (because of the ban) to do what has been TRADITIONAL and accepted behavior so the stupid, insecure atheists can be satisfied.

5. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not to be difficult but I am not understanding your point.

6. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Me Neither...

...I think Christian flash mobs are an EXCELLENT form of mass witnessing. I just wish the churches would do this all year long!

You have to remember; the secular world started flash mobs. It took a while for the church to see how effective this tool could be to reach the masses [in some cases this is better than door-to-door witnessing] with the Gospel.

I started encouraging Chrisitan flash mobs three years ago on several of my blogs. I'd like to hope that someone somewhere read y idea and picked up on it. Even if they didn't use my idea, it is something that can be used to reach people outside the brick-and-mortar buildings we call the church!!

In a way, I'd call the large gathering on the mount who listened to Jesus speak as the first flash mob. :laugh:

7. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rev, I think his point is that we are headed, due to PC, et al, to become a society like he left if, IF, the silent majority stays silent - and maybe even if we yell our heads off!
    IOW, the constitution be damned to suit the vocal, loud, boisterous, PC worshiping liberals of this country.

8. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

So would you please explain how being opposed to a flash mob performing the Hallejuah Chorus in a mall helps Christianity?

#8 saturneptune, Dec 24, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 24, 2012
  9. Oldtimer

Oldtimer New Member

The freedom of Christian religious expression is being shut down.

10. pinoybaptist

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    First, I was not discussing the flash mob that did the Hallelujah Chorus. I think that was great.
    Now, concentrate on what I was saying: CHRISTIANS, WHO ARE THE MAJORITY IN THIS COUNTRY,NOW RESORT TO FLASH MOBBING TO PUBLICLY DECLARE THEIR FAITH IN PLACES WHERE THEY USED TO BE ABLE TO DO SO BECAUSE THEIR FEDERAL OR STATE GOVERNMENT BUCKLED DOWN TO A FEW INSECURE, STUPID NOISY MINORITIES WHO WANT TO SHUT DOWN EVERY MENTION OF ANY SEMBLANCE OF THE CHRISTIAN FAITH. THAT IS SAD, AND THAT SHOULD NOT BE THE CASE.

Maybe that could be done by defiant and militant Christians IN A FOREIGN COUNTRY like Saudi Arabia where Christianity is openly banned, or in a communist country like China, but definitely not in a SUPPOSEDLY CHRISTIAN COUNTRY like the US of A (and the majority on this board hold that view, that the USA is a Christian country. I do not hold that view and yet I am surprised by the INABILITY of some people here on this board to see the point I am trying to express).

So could you people please forget for a minute that I am a Primitive Baptist whose doctrines you do not like and try to see that I am actually sympathetic to these people ?
    Thank you.

11. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Two points, the first I will concede that I did not understand the wording of your post. The way you put it here is much clearer to me, so for that I apologize.

The second comment was uncalled for. My background is conservative Presbyterian, and was brought up in a denomination that makes yours look like a free will festival. My guess is that I was believing in God's sovereignty before you were born. The only difference in that doctrine between the Presbyterians and your branch of being a Baptist is that the Presbyterians use missionaries as the Bible says to do, but that is another thread. I have no idea how Calvinism got mixed up in a flash mob thread.

By the way, several posters told you your original poster was unclear.

12. Berean

Berean Member
    Site Supporter

I say that the intent is the KEY in this case if the intent is the furthering the Gospel Great. If the intent is to intimidate and display an attitude of defiance Not Great.