1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Benny Hinn

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Ben W, Nov 1, 2004.

1. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

In a current poll that we have down below on who is the most heretical precher of a group of six suggestions, Benny Hinn appears to be quite far in front at number one.

What I wondered, and I would ask that if you choose to answer that you put aside any personal feelings that expouse a dislike of Benny Hinn, and in a rational manner, explain theologically where Benny Hinn crosses the line with Baptists

What would be your top three theological concerns with the ministry of Benny Hinn?

2. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

I am not sure what theological lines he may cross with Baptists, but with the bible he cross' many. He is into necromancy or communication with the dead http://www.deceptioninthechurch.com/false.html

He is into false gifts such as slaying in the spirit which there is no such thing that is done by God. He claimed that Jesus would apear with him on stage in a past revelation, he gives false propheseys http://www.aloha.net/~mikesch/tbn.htm
    http://www.deceptioninthechurch.com/hinnfalse.html
    He teaches that Jesus took on the nature of satan and had to be born again. http://www.rapidnet.com/~jbeard/bdm/exposes/hinn/general.htm
    Need I say more?

3. Pete

Pete New Member

"There are nine of them..." in reference to the Trinity is a quote of his I always remember. He later said something along the lines of "Just kidding" when questioned about it, but shouldn't have come out with the line in first place...Although at least with that statement he later added the disclaimer, to my knowledge he has never said anything about all his false prophecies.

4. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How about that he's so far out in left field he's out of the ball park (so to speak).

HankD

5. untangled

untangled Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Don't get me started on Binny Hinn.

I have a friend with severe muscular dystrophy. He has been in a wheelchair since he was too old to be in a stroller. Well, somebody gave him the idea that "Benny Hinn" was a healer. He then traveled to Charlotte when he was there doing his "ministry". They advertise about his(Hinn's) healing powers. Well my buddy, was up near the front. When he rolled forward to get healed one of the security gaurds rolled him straight to the back while other "chosen" people were allowed to the stage.

People whether baptist, methodist, pentacostal, etc. can believe in Benny Hinn if they want to but as for me I think he needs to stop. I just can't believe that he is an actual healer. He has bad theology in my opinion, but even without that that one event is enough to burn me up. He's nothing but a showsman.. :mad:

6. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

On Saturday I shared with a man who is a non-believer who mentioned to me that he believes in God but not organized religion. He told me he could not think of any case where organized religion did anything good except to break down and often become an us against them attitude. The word he used for those who name themselves as "Christians" on TV was shamans. He also asked me, "How could anyone follow those guys?" I guess stupid people like the hocus-pocus of it all.

7. freakpastor

freakpastor New Member

I wouldn't know bout his crossing anyone. I've never been able to hear a word he says for laughing at his wrap-around-comb-over.
    Yes, I can! I'm bald,too.

8. LorrieGrace

LorrieGrace Member

What about almost all the tv preachers. I think Peter Poppoff is a HUGE fake. He reads letters with his wife from his flock and it is so sad. They act as if they really care when actually the are ripping them off.

I have gotten mail from Peter and it is such a joke. He sends miracle water from Russia, pennys, other dumb stuff. I just laugh and send them to a friend of mine to read.

There are SO many of these frauds on. Isn't it illegal for this kind of activity on the airways. Where is the FCC?

9. GeneMBridges

GeneMBridges New Member

Benny Hinn, like almost all Word of Faith teachers crosses the line as soon as he embraces dualism. Historic Christianity rejects true dualism. (The Incarntion is Jesus as FULLY God and FULLY man, but He is ONE person...
    a dualist would say, for example, Jesus is half God and half man or that He is fully God and fully man, but two persons inside of one). Essentially, he does not teach that when a person is saved, he is made a new creation. He teaches that a person somehow becomes "divine" in that a completely new nature is added to him, but the old does not actually cease to be. Evangelical Christianity teaches that we are ONE person with ONE nature, after we are saved. We are new creations, but we do have two volitional principles at work in us, which is why we struggle with sin. We have one mind, not two actual minds, but there are two principles at war, as it were, within our one mind. However, there are not two distinct persons with two distinct natures within us. That is dualism. By embracing the idea that a Christian is somehow deified, the Word of Faith movement is very close to Socianism's belief that Jesus was a deified man, sort of a Socinian anthropology, if you will.

Dualism has shown up elsewhere in church history. The Gnostics were dualists. The Nestorians were dualists. The Albigenes believed in two gods. (See a theme here, anybody?)

The Word of Faith movement, however, is not always dualistic. There are a few exceptions. T.D. Jakes, I think, is a Oneness Pentecostal. This is a form of modalism mixed with monarchianism. When Jesus died, all of God died. Jesus is all of God. When He says, "I and the Father are one," he meant One Person. Evangelical Christianity affirms the Chalcedonean Creed (even those of us that are non-creedalists), that says God is a Trinity, not a Triad, not three gods, but One God with Three Persons, Co-equal, of one substance, different roles, distinct persons, without contradiction: Each of the three persons is completely divine in nature though each is not the totality of the Godhead. Each of the three persons is not the other two persons. Each of the three persons is related to the other two, but are distinct from them.

Of course,, then you get into all the stuff about breathing the Holy Spirit out, people rising from the dead in front of TV sets and all that other stuff....Methinks, Mr. Hinn, is waaaaay out there, somewhere off the limb. Apparently, he supposedly recanted Faith Theology a few years ago, but his recantation must have been false, because he didn't stop selling his books or anything!

10. Johnv

Johnv New Member

You must not know about his being exposed a few years ago. He used to have a large TV following, and used to have these big revivals where he'd start saying "there's a person in the 4th row, named, xxxxxxx, who has cancer of the xxxxxx". And, invariably, there would always be that one person who would fit the description. He'd then "heal" them ala Benny Hinn. Eventually, a skeptic and magician named James Randi discovered a radio frequency that Popoff was using. it turned out that his wife would casually talk to people in the crowd, and then use a wireless microphone to relay the info to Popoff, who would be wearing a receiver hidden in his ear on stage. Needless to say, his tv ministry went under like a rock in the Atlantic.

The guy's a charlatain of the worst kind. It's sad that he has started a new tv ministry and is catering to people who hadn't heard about him the first time.

11. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Hinn is a bigger "quack" than Daffy and Donald combined!!

12. LorrieGrace

LorrieGrace Member

Thanks. I am just surprised that he is still getting people to believe him. I thought he was a sham from the first word out of his mouth but he must make enough money to send out mail begging for more money. He will have to answer to God for all the lies and fraud he has perpetuated. I would be too afraid to do something like this thus I anger the Lord.

13. GeneMBridges

GeneMBridges New Member

You must not know about his being exposed a few years ago. He used to have a large TV following, and used to have these big revivals where he'd start saying "there's a person in the 4th row, named, xxxxxxx, who has cancer of the xxxxxx". And, invariably, there would always be that one person who would fit the description. He'd then "heal" them ala Benny Hinn. Eventually, a skeptic and magician named James Randi discovered a radio frequency that Popoff was using. it turned out that his wife would casually talk to people in the crowd, and then use a wireless microphone to relay the info to Popoff, who would be wearing a receiver hidden in his ear on stage. Needless to say, his tv ministry went under like a rock in the Atlantic.

The guy's a charlatain of the worst kind. It's sad that he has started a new tv ministry and is catering to people who hadn't heard about him the first time.
    </font>[/QUOTE]That reminds me of another story involving a seminary professor who went to a revival like that and the guy was interpreting tongues for people. The professor went to the front and spoke, and the preacher interpreted what he said.

Afterwards, the professor stayed to talk with the preacher. The professor explained very politely to the revivalist that he'd gotten the interpretation wrong. What the professor had spoken was actually the first few verses of Genesis in Hebrew. (Needless to say, the preacher's interpretation of what the professor had said wasn't exactly accurate; you'd think God would get His own word right the second time around, wouldn't you.) Mysteriously, the next series of services were then cancelled...

14. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Benny Hinn is also a false prophet. He prophesied that God would destroy all the homosexuals in '94 or '95. He also said that Jesus would appear with him (Hinn) on stage when he was in Africa (I think Kenya). Well, needless to say, Jesus did not appear.

Wherever Hinn goes, thousands upon thousands of people come to hear him. I've met Hinn followers and they don't like it when you point out his heresies or false prophecies. Some people believe what they want to believe and don't let the facts intrude on that.

15. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Here's more on Hinn, including some info on his false prophecies:

16. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Ben, in which thread/forum is this poll? Thanks.

17. GeneMBridges

GeneMBridges New Member

18. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

An article is found at http://www.banachek.org/Popoff.htm

19. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

Certainley some very interesting responses people.

What tips me off about Benny Hinn, Kenneth Copeland and others that are into the WOF movment, is that all of them have refused point blank to appear on John Ankerbergs TV show which is watched by millions of Christians worldwide, and answer simple questions about their theology from the Bible. If they genuinley believe they have the truth, why be frightened of a genuine discernment ministry like John Ankerberg?

http://www.ankerberg.org

20. Marcia

Marcia Active Member