1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Bereavement Resoources

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by dan53, Dec 23, 2002.

1. dan53

dan53 New Member

Folks;
    I need your help in obtaining some resources to deal with the topic of bereavement. Our small church has been up set with two different families dealing with suicide. These families were not active the last year or so but everyone knows them and is still attached. I am fairly new to the field (March) and do not know these folks personally.

I am really concerned about the pattern that is being developed. These families were active but dropped out and the question I have is this : Do they really know Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord ? Has the church just coounted them as another number onthe roll and not provided real solid Biblical teaching that helps ?

I may be over reacting but it concerns me when a small church has so much influence yet is not doing anything.

Dan

2. jonmagee

jonmagee New Member

2 things come to mind here.

1) You are right to raise questions about the churches influence. Please note that my comment cannot be about this specific church as I do not know them. However it is an area that many churches fail, sad to say.

2)I recently saw statistics in this country indicating that 25% of the population has some kind of mental health problem to varying degrees.(this includes those with mild depression as well). Presumably similar figures will be available in other countries. As such think of how often this could be repeated in the average church to spiritual people who are also unwell mentally.

yours, Jon.