1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Besides Lordship Haters and Calvinist Shills...?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by JDale, Jul 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Can he be predestined to do anything but? ;)

2. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

JDale,

Good questions brother. You are correct that there have been churches in the past and present who have and do practice closed communion. Our church practices open communion. And you will find many calvinists and calvinist churches in the past who also practiced the same.

If you came to our church we would welcome you to the Lord's Table. We would not privately ask you beforehand because before every time we partake the bread and wine (yes, it's grape juice) we warn every person not to partake if they are outside the Lord Jesus. I have always practiced open communion, and always will unless the Lord convinces me otherwise.

Sprugeon practiced open communion. Read http://books.google.com/books?id=QZ...&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=6&ct=result

John Bunyan practiced open communion and taught and defended the practice against closed-communion to the unbaptized (presbyterians) http://www.mountzion.org/johnbunyan/text/bun-baptism.htm

So it's not a curious thing to find modern Particular Baptists practicing open communion.

3. skypair

skypair Active Member

Shouldn't you have said, "Oh, me!" :laugh:

"Hallelujah," assuming everyone is saved -- "condemnation" if they are not! (1Cor 11:29)

I'm afraid your "salvation" sounds more like a "sanctifying of the flesh" (Heb 9:13-14) without the requisite "purging of the conscience from dead works."

You are making assumptions here that are not entirely warranted when you call them 'brethren.'

Well sanctified, I'm sure. Saved? I wouldn't jump to that conclusion by "observation." I will grant, however, that some churches have changed some of their literurgies in order to be more consistent with biblical theology and with contemporary practices. But I think you might just beware of your own naivete as even some other posters here are suggesting indirectly.

skypair

4. ReformedBaptist

Who am I to be the judge of their salvation? Sure, we can be in danger of false brethren and false conversion. But these are warm-hearted brethren who love Jesus and are bearing the fruit of the Spirit.

So you consider me naieve eh skypair? I thought you were more fairminded than to lay such calumny against your brother. So I welcome you again and you slap me in the face like that.

May the Lord be merciful to you.

5. skypair

skypair Active Member

Oops, I forgot your LS/Calvinist paradigm. Everyone except the saved are "totally depraved" and "without merit." Does it occur to you that they love the "wages of righteousness" and the "abundant life" without ever having claimed the gift of eternal life?

RB, "brothers" are led astray into apostacy every day. I do what I can but I am only one person. Look at the Galations -- being led into legalism. Look at the Thessalonians -- being led to believe that the resurrection had already come. Look at the Catholics -- being led into "works" salvation. Look at Sardis -- led into "a name that liveth but art dead."

Friend, you are probably saved but you are a "walking time bomb," a prospective "terrorist martyr" with a theological "bomb" strapped to your body walking into a crowd of similarly well-intentioned "Christians." Paul said that Hymeneaus carried such a "bomb" and made a "shipwreck" of many believers' faiths!! (1Tim 1:19) I implore you to reconsider!

skypair

May the Lord be merciful to you.[/QUOTE]

6. ReformedBaptist

[/QUOTE]

:praying: May the Lord have mercy on you :praying:

7. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Skypair,

I implore you to reconsider!

8. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Consider this a public warning, skypair, to be careful of your abusive, self-righteous and arrogant spirit.

:(

9. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    And closing this thread. :( :(

I knew the topic was sure to quickly turn to hate and flame. And it did.

Appreciate Dale trying to steer it back to the topic, but there seemed little hope. This is truly a divisive area.

#89 Dr. Bob, Jul 30, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.