1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Best Baptist Schools

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by revmwc, Jun 4, 2011.

1. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

Your not going to get a list that large. Many people (myself included), do not think that there ARE that many good schools in any of those categories. If you dropped it down to 5, you might have a chance.

2. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  3. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

Well drop it to however many you think, top 5 top 10 whichever you feel will work.

I am just trying to see which ones are considered tops within each.

4. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

Sorry, I got the information from Baptist Life...

http://www.baptistlife.com/seminaries/

I discovered my error. However, though the school of Divinity is not explicitly affiliated, Samford University, of which Beeson is a part, is actually affiliated with the Southern Baptists of Alabama.

http://www.sbc.net/colleges.asp

http://www.alsbom.org/templates/System/details.asp?id=36469&PID=407366

And I stand by my statement. The Faculty teach as Baptists, (per their own words) regardless of whether or not they allow other denominations as students.

5. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

How about it the top five:

Don't forget you need to specify if they are accredited or not or at least if that matters.

6. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

Well, I am not going to break things down into groups, but here is my top list:

#1 Southern Baptist Theological Seminary (SBC)

#2 Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary (SBC)

#3 New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary (SBC)

#4 Westminster Seminary California (Institute for Reformed Baptist Studies Program)

#5 I am particular to this one...Liberty Baptist Theological Seminary...for personal reasons :) Plus, I think they are leading the way in terms of technological achievement and groundbreaking leaps in Distance ed.

So, all of these are regionally accredited, at minimum, and yes, that is important. It means they meet certain minimum requirements of rigor. In fact, I can't think of a single good unaccredited Baptist College or Seminary (though I know a couple non-Baptist ones).

Plus, regional accreditation means that if I get a chance, I can teach religious topics at secular universities and community colleges...which can't happen, otherwise.

7. Dempster

Dempster New Member

I would like to add to the list the Canadian Southern Baptist Seminary. It is a great school but gets overlooked because it is not in the US. However, a lot of Americans go there.

8. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

Baylor University I think it hands-down the all-around best choice. Of course, it might still depend on the specific program you're interested in, but Baylor is probably tops in a lot of categories.

9. RG2

RG2 Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I guess there is some grey area. Like Brite Divinity School is located at Texas Christian University (A Disciple of Christ School) but they have a "Baptist Church Studies" Program and are affiliated with the CBF and the Alliance of Baptists. Would you call it a "Baptist School" ?

10. PreacherTeacher

PreacherTeacher New Member

Here would be a potential list of Southern Baptist colleges for a top 10 list based on reputations that I have perceived among Southern Baptists. It is not comprehensive by any means...

Baylor University (some love them, some not so much-I am Baylor Class '91)
    Ouachita Baptist University (U.S. News ranks them #1 bacc. school in South 4 years in a row)
    Hardin-Simmons University
    Oklahoma Baptist University
    Liberty University
    Samford University
    Union University
    Dallas Baptist University
    Mississippi College
    Southwest Baptist University (MO)

11. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    A Top 5

There aren't 20 "IFB" school I could recommend. Though I have not doubt there are more than 20 IFB schools out there.
    1. Maranatha Baptist Bible College and Seminary, Watertown Wisc.
    2. International Baptist College, Metro-Phoenix, AZ
    3. Northland International
    4. Central Seminary
    5. Calvary Baptist Seminary, Lansdale, PA

All these schools are in the IFB orbit. However, none of them are affliliated with or have roots in the BBFI. MBBC and Central's roots are in men who separated from the old Northern Baptist Convention.

12. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

Sic 'em. BM '05.