1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Best Bible Reference Works

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by TomVols, Sep 10, 2005.

1. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I'm teaching a hermeneutics seminar for laypeople a couple of times in the next couple of months and I need to update my "recommended works" list I distribute.

What are some of your favorite Bible reference works (dictionaries, concordances, encyclopedias, language works, etc.)?

2. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

I like the free resources on the internet also.If I could only pick 2 I would pick e-sword and Biblecentre.net, they would provide enough free resource material to make it worth while to by a computer.

3. Pipedude

Pipedude Active Member

Well, to start the list of paper resources, Strong's Concordance. I think that no other book lies at the foundation so importantly as does this one work. (And I have a pretty big library.)

4. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I have found some help here for answers to questions about the Bible:

http://www.gotquestions.org/

You can do a search of topics and issues.

You may not always agree 100% with their answers, but they give good reasons for what they say and try to be biblical, accurate, and balanced.

5. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I'm tempted to post my list and ask for additions. That may make more sense.

6. Plain Old Bill

The New Bible Knowledge Commentary
    The New Ungers Bible Dictionary
    Explore the Book By J.Sidlow Baxter
    Major Bible Themes by Chafer/Walvoord
    Wilmington's Guide to the Bible by Dr. H.J.Wilmington
    Protestant Biblical Interpretation by Ramm
    Strongs has already been mentioned.
    These are books I would recommend to any Baptist or Christian Lay person.

7. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Guess what? I was at WalMart and killing time for a minute, waiting on my friend, when I found for sale Holman Illustrated Bible Dictionary. It is over 1700 pages, with 700 full-color photographs. I think that it is very useful.

Also, if you like Walter Martin, his daughter is selling a CD set by him on the subject of hermeneutics. The website is www.waltermartin.org Please click on Purchase tapes/CDs. I have heard them online for free in their listening library, which changes monthly. I thought that they were very good because they dealt with practical examples.

8. Plain Old Bill

Thanks for the site.

9. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are welcome. Are you a fan of Walter Martin?

10. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Speaking of Walter Martin and his daughter, Jill Rische, she is speaking at a women's conference hosted by Midwestern Baptist Seminary (Kansas City) this month, Sept. 23-24: "Heart, Mind, And Soul: Women Equipping Women to Know and Share Their Faith."

I am also a speaker at the conf. The link for this is http://www.heartsoulandmind.com/welcome.html

11. JackRUS

JackRUS New Member

I have posted on their message board for years. Even on their old site.

I'm afraid though that it has fallen apart into petty insults brought on by all the unsaved there. They have little or no active oversight, and Jill's husband who monitors the site only via direct complaints has no idea what an ad hominem attack is even though I explained it to him, he disagrees. Sad. It used to be a good board.

http://www.vandruff.com/art_converse.html

http://goodart.org/attack.htm

Walter Martin was great, but he was a coward when it came to coming out and calling Roman Catholicism what it is, a rank cult. At least he debated them though.

12. Pipedude

Pipedude Active Member

Rather than being a coward, maybe he just had a different opinion.

13. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Vine's Expository Dictionary of OT/NT Words should accompany a Strong's Concordance. And a good interlinear Greek New Testament like George Ricker-Berry's.

14. Craigbythesea

Craigbythesea Active Member

Rather than being a coward, maybe he just had a different opinion. </font>[/QUOTE]... and an educated and correct opinion at that!

[​IMG]

15. Craigbythesea

Craigbythesea Active Member

The search function on the free, downloadable Bible study program called e-Sword will allow you to search for a word or phrase or group of words in over 25 different English translations, plus many translations in other languages. It also includes different editions of the KJV, one of which is keyed to Strong’s numbering system. And, of course, Strong’s brief Hebrew and Greek Lexicon is also included, and there is no need to reach up and pull books off of the shelf or flip through pages because e-Sword does it for you—instantly!

E-Sword also includes Vine's Expository Dictionary of OT/NT Words. And, of course, rather than pulling these volumes off of your shelf and looking up the words that interest you as you are reading the Bible, you simply click on the word of interest in the Bible text using any of the 25 different translations of the Bible you are using, and the program instantly displays Vine’s definition. And unlike the books in which only the references are given without the Bible text, all you have to do in e-Sword is place your cursor over the references in Vine’s and the text is instantly displayed for you in what ever one of the 25 English translations that you choose—or if you prefer, in Spanish, German, French, Dutch, or any one of many other languages. You don’t even have to click on the reference—you just point to it with your cursor. In other words, using Vine’s in the e-Sword program is 20-30 times faster that using the books with pages in them.

And, of course, e-Sword provides you with several different Greek texts and allows you to compare them with each other, with 25 different translations into English, and very many translations into other languages. George Ricker-Berry's interlinear New Testament is like an oxcart compared to a jumbo jet!

E-Sword also includes several multi-volume commentaries on the Bible, Bible dictionaries, a Bible Atlas, and many other tools and resources—and it is ALL downloadable so you don’t have to be on-line to use it!

Link: http://e-sword.net/

[​IMG]

16. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Grudem's Systematic Theology [1994 Wayne Grudem] -concise, complete, and even devotional!

Theological Wordbook of the Old Testament [1980 - R. Laird Harris, Editor]

Rob

17. Brother Ian

Brother Ian Active Member

The Complete Word Study of the Old and New Testaments and the Word Study Dictionary by Spiros Zodhiates.

18. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's right. Walter thought that there were a few Christians left in the RCC. I thought that he always won his debates with them.

I liked Walter but I know that he is unpopular for 2 issues of theology. He believed that the spiritual gifts were still being given and that we should follow men such as Dwight Moody and rely on the Holy Spirit. Secondly, Walter believed in a post-tribulation rapture and called himself a modified dispensationalist.

I do think that the disaster in the Christian Research Institute after his death is a good reason not to lend unnecessary support to para-church organizations.

I became a Baptist because of Walter. I used to hear him on the radio. Living in a big city, all I ever met were cultists. I picked him up on the radio without having the slightest idea who he was. I liked the answers that he gave the cultists and I thought what a wonderful church he must belong to. I listened for many days until he commented one day that he was a Southern Baptist. I immediately became one. Come to find out, he was sort of an outcast.

19. Plain Old Bill

I listened to him on the radio and read Kingdom of the Cults.