1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Best Bible Reference Works

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by TomVols, Sep 10, 2005.

1. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Englishman's Greek Concordance
    Interlinear
    TWOT
    Harmony of the Gospels (for the gospels)
    Vine
    Vincent

2. JackRUS

JackRUS New Member

Rather than being a coward, maybe he just had a different opinion. </font>[/QUOTE]Could be, point taken.

But he was an expert on both cults and the Gospel, and it is quite clear that Catholics have a different Gospel than we do. Any reading of Galatians and Romans makes it clear that Catholics are wrong, and wrong means no regeneration. I believe that he had to know this. How could he not?

3. Craigbythesea

Craigbythesea Active Member

JackRUS wrote,

I have studied Roman Catholicism more than Martin did, and I have studied Romans and Galatians very much more than he did, and I know for a fact that the official teaching of the Roman Catholic Church is NOT a different gospel than the gospel in Romans or Galatians. They use a lot of terminology that Protestant laymen do not adequately understand, and they emphasize elements of the gospel message that Baptists tend to mineralize or ignore, but none of this makes them wrong, and it most certainly does not mean that Roman Catholics have a different gospel.

On the other hand, the large majority of Baptists teach eternal security and the age of accountability, both of which are damnable, false teachings that have led countless souls into the very pit of hell. And most certainly, the Roman Catholic Church does not teach ANY doctrine that is as obviously and blatantly false as the doctrine of eternal security, a doctrine that was invented by sinful men in the 16th century.

Children who live in glass houses should know better than to throw stones at those who live in brick houses.

The multitude of “Baptists” who go about bashing Romans Catholics are bashing God’s own children and, as a consequence, are evildoers of the most pernicious sort.

Enough of that, now let’s get back to the subject of this thread. Which Bible reference books have been a blessing to you, and which ones of these would you recommend to others. I have already posted that the free, downloadable Bible study program called e-Sword is a very valuable Bible study tool because it offers both a huge amount of information, a very user-friendly formant, and the wonderful advantage of eliminating the need to pull books off the shelf and flip through pages. One Bible reference book that has not yet been mentioned, and which is not available on e-Sword is the Concordance to the Greek New Testament. by W.F. Moulton, A.S. Geden, and H.K. Mouton. Also very useful is a good topical Bible, and the most popular one, Nave’s, is included in the e-Sword program. Another very useful tool is the Treasury of Scripture Knowledge. This work “includes more than 500,000 Scripture references and parallel passages, in addition to numerous illustrative notes.” This work is also included in the e-Sword program and, being computerized, you don’t have to look up the 500,000 references in your Bible because the computer program does it for you instantly, in any one of 25 English translations or any one of many other-language translations.

Let’s get into our Bibles and encourage others to do the same!

[​IMG]

4. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh, and the Catholics have said that anyone who believed certain Protestant doctrines were condemned to hell, so they are not as rosy as you say.

5. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Me, too. I listed his belief in the perpetuity of spiritual gifts and his belief in the post-tibulation rapture as reasons for his rejection by Fundamentalists and many Evangelicals. I would also add that he was divorced and remarried, which I believe The Holy Bible allows in cases where the wife has committed adultery. In the aids epidemic, I should think that it would be called self-defense. However, Baptists don't want allow this for clergy.

So I guess you either loved Walter or you didn't. He had a mind that wouldn't stop. He mastered cult theology and was so careful in stating their actual beliefs from their own words that it served to kick down the door of the cults. Now if we could only get people to study and evangelize the cults and then teach doctrine to all Christians so that Christians would not end up in the hands of the cults and the doctrines of demons.

Walter used to say that cult theology was like swimming in a cesspool--you had to keep your head above water. It makes me sick to my stomach to read what the cults say about Jesus, The Lion Of The Tribe Of Judah.

6. JackRUS

JackRUS New Member

Craig.
    I would recommend that you read the Council of Trent and pay particular attention to the anathemas.

http://www.forerunner.com/chalcedon/X0020_15._Council_of_Trent.html

All of these anathemas were directed towards Protestants and our by faith alone Gospel.

And since you claim to know Galatians, what does Paul mean in Gal. 5:4,9?

I was raised Catholic and went to Catholic school my first eight years of schooling. They add the Sacraments, the necessity to keep the Commandments, and what they like to call Meritorious Works as a necessity to get to Heaven.

http://www.christusrex.org/www1/CDHN/decalog.html
    How it that not another Gospel? (Gal. 3:2)

The Law + faith + works + the Sacraments + the purging in Purgatory (hopefully) = salvation is not the Gospel. (Thank God!)

Or course you like the Catholic have no eternal security because they (rightfully) don't think they have it. And you can never be sure if you have lost it.

You may want to spend the 9 bucks for this:

http://www.gnfc.org/gar.html

Reviews on the book:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/customer-reviews/1565071077/ref=cm_cr_dp_pt/002-2067960-7454425?%5Fencoding=UTF8&n=283155&s=books

You also might want to explain how it is that in your extensive study of Roman Catholicism that you never heard of that abomination the Catholic Mass. And why do you suppose that their "bloodless sacrifice" is still deemed to them to be necessary to remove sin in light of Hebrews 9 and 10.

Here is a Catholic debating a Christian pastor on the Gospel. See if you think they agree on faith and trust in Christ's finished work and Resurrection alone.

http://matt1618.freeyellow.com/gospel.html

Still think we have the same Gospel?

Here is what some real experts on the subject have to say on the subject:

http://www.cwrc-rz.org/heartofcatholic.htm

I have several of these since my area is predominately Roman Catholic. You might order some yourself:

http://www.cwrc-rz.org/products/bkl6.htm

[ September 14, 2005, 10:11 PM: Message edited by: JackRUS ]

7. Craigbythesea

Craigbythesea Active Member

I probably have in my home library 10 times as many volumes on Roman Catholic theology and Roman Catholic commentaries on the individual books of the Bible as you do Baptist theology and Baptist commentaries on the individual books of the Bible.

But I also have in my home library over 300 volumes of Protestant theology and 1,100 volumes of Protestant commentaries on the individual books of the Bible, and I have access to university and seminary libraries around the world, and several very large university and seminary libraries are in just a short driving distance from my home.

I know both the difference and the similarities regarding Roman Catholicism and Protestantism, and I know both the differences and the similarities regarding their interpretation of both Romans and Galatians, as well as the other 64 books in the Protestant Canon. But I also know that when I am fellowshipping with a conservative Roman Catholic Bible scholar (as opposed to a Roman Catholic theologian) the fact that he is a Roman Catholic is of little importance for we have about 97 points in common and 3 points where we cannot see eye-to-eye.

If you were to study the commentaries on the Gospel According to John and the Epistles of John by Raymond E. Brown, and the commentary on the Gospel According to Luke by Joseph Fitzmyer, two of the finest Roman Catholic Bible scholars, you would find out in hurry that a Bible scholar can be both a solid Roman Catholic and a solid Christian. Indeed, on several occasions, Raymond Brown preached in Baptist churches!

But, of course, those who hate Roman Catholicism, for whatever reason, paint a very bitter and false picture of that organization and the people who are a part of it.

Several years ago I pioneered an inner-city church. My home church donated a grand total of $1, and no other Protestant church donated so much as a penny. The Roman Catholic Cathedral in that city, however, very generously came to our aid, as did the very poor inner-city Roman Catholic Church nearby. And they never asked for anything in return. And on one occasion, the youth group of another Roman Catholic Church joined our young people in a celebration of praises to God—they were wonderful and delightful Christian kids who truly loved Jesus and who loved to sing praises to Him!

But, of course, I have personally witnessed on very numerous occasions spiritual death among far too many people who thought that they were Roman Catholics but who were the rather sinners destined to hell. True Roman Catholics who truly understand their Bible and truly love Jesus are wonderful, born-again Christians. False Romans Catholics who do not truly understand their Bible and who do not truly love Jesus are children of the devil. The key here is that to be a true Roman Catholic and to understand its teachings and dogmas from a Christian perspective requires a true and genuine understanding of the Bible, along with the faith to believe it.

Father Raymond Edward Brown was a staunch defender of Roman Catholicism, a member of the Pontifical Biblical Commission in 1972 and in 1996, a professor at Union Theological Seminary in New York, one of America's preeminent biblical scholars, and a marvelous Christian brother who knew and understood the Gospel According to John far better than most of us while at the same time he was a delightful guest speaker in Baptist churches. He departed to be with his Savior on August 8, 1998.

His books include:

Birth of the Messiah 1998, with a reappraisal of the Infancy Gospels
    Death of the Messiah
    New Jerome Biblical Commentary , (editor), 1990
    Mary and the New Testament
    Peter in the New Testament
    The Community of the Beloved Disciple , New York: Paulist Press, 1979
    The Gospel According to John , 1966 and 1970 (Anchor Bible Series, 1208 pages)
    The Epistles of John , 1982 (Anchor Bible Series, 812 pages)
    An Introduction to the New Testament, 1996

[​IMG]

8. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, Craig, you sound both educated and syncretistic. Don't you agree that you are syncretistic? Do you call yourself neo-orthodox in theology?

9. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    My two favourite tools are:

www.studylight.org
    I really like the integration of NASB/KJV, Strongs, 5 different interlinears and 25 different resources (commentaries, dictionaries, encyclopedias).

www.e-sword.net
    e-sword has even more resources but I find they are not integrated and crossreferenced as well as studylight.org. The graphics and extra books downloadable from e-sword are awesome resources.

10. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Someone in a group mentioned e-sword. I was turned off by their link to Koinonia House Online and Chuck and Nancy Missler. I cannot find anything about the other group Study Light.

There are some resources available from LifeWay Stores: http://bible.lifeway.com/crossmain.asp

11. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

Walter Martin had some very useful information.That does not mean I agreed with all of his theology.But I did like him.
    There are some on this board I like very much but I do not agree with some of thier theology.
    I suppose in some ways I am more conservative than most and in some ways I may be more liberal than some.I would say there are some catholics who are saved and some who are not.Sounds like the Baptist,Methodists,Pentecostals,and presbytarians to me.Who God calls clean I will not curse.I don't run around cursing and talking about those dirty rotten liberals,some of them are saved and who God calls clean I certainly will not curse.I will be happy to discuss theological differences as long as it makes sense and in some circumstances I will end up agreeing to disagree and let it stand.

12. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

Oh by the way I would strongly recommend Biblecentre.net as a compliment to e-sword.That would give a person a very well stocked on-line library.
    When I make recommendations they are made to a particular audience.Some recommendations which would work well for a layperson would not be the same for someone who is on a seminary level.
    At one time I had a home library of thousands of volumes. With the advent of software and online resources I have been able to reduce my hardcover library to just a couple of hundered volumes and use the added space for other things.I like the software and online resources very much because I can adjust the type size to a comfortable level for easy reading.I also like printing out the material that I will actually use.

13. buckster75

buckster75 Member

don't think anyone mentioned this and I know you probably meant sources other than the Bible. But I have found the Bible to be the best commentary on itself.

14. JackRUS

JackRUS New Member

Craig.
    I just knew that in your rebuttal you would come up with some pompous superior education argument such as your:

The fact remains that the Church of Rome with the sole instruction of their Magisterium has a "different Gospel" as per Gal. 1:6-8. Raed their Catechism, not your friends comentaries. That is the official position of the C.C.

http://www.scborromeo.org/ccc/ccc_toc.htm

As a Catholic debater from another web site so rightly put it. If a Catholic doesn't adhere to their Catechism and Magisterium, they are not Catholic. So your point is moot.

Your argument that you met some individual Catholics that you felt were saved is not an argument that the Catholic Church shares in our soteriology.

You should have discussed with your Catholic brethren why they felt the need for the Mass. Maybe that would have opened your eyes.

And the reason that I hate Roman Catholicism is because both of my parents are in Hell because they put their trust in it.

"Through thy precepts I get understanding: therefore I hate every false way. Ps. 119:104

BTW, I suppose that since you have so many books on the R.C. that you must know that they fully believe that one is born again through baptism. Infant or otherwise.

Are you sure you're a Baptist?

15. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist