1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Best IFB seminary (Long distance)?

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Mexdeaf, Oct 13, 2005.

1. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Who has the best (legitimate) IFB long distance seminary program, in your opinion, and why?

I have been looking at Louisiana Baptist U. Any thoughts on them?

2. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

What, no comments? Or in your unverbalized opinion there are no good, credible IFB seminaries? C'mon, this is an honest question and deserves at least ONE answer!

3. Paul1611

Paul1611 New Member

Mexdeaf, most of the people I have corresponded with here on the forum are not IFB. From looking at all of the posts it seems that if a Bible College is not accredited, and if a Bible college believes that the KJV is the Word of God, then it is no good. Don't even waste your time. I could recommend a few IFB college/seminaries that have trained great soul winning, street preaching, door knocking, sound Bible teaching men, that spend their time in nursing homes, prisons, and on the streets preaching the gospel. But since the college they graduated from isnt accredited and uses the KJVB I better not. I guess it is best if you just take the advice of those who have already posted on this section, and find yourself a "good" accredited college/seminary, that will teach you greek/hebrew and charge you an "arm and a leg". I mean the last thing we need is another street preaching, door knocking, soul winner, from one of those non acreddited colleges out there. God forbid!!! No what we need is another "preacher" who spends all his time in a office trying to translate the Bible again.
    "Pray ye therefore the Lord of the harvest, that he would send forth LABOURERES into his harvest." But who needs labourers when you can have a bunch of so called "scholars"

4. Broadus

Broadus Member

When you completely misrepresent what others write, you are either too lazy to read carefully or flat-out lying. Which is it? Regardless, you can't expect anyone to take you seriously.

Bill

5. Brandon C. Jones

Brandon C. Jones New Member

Well, forgetting about Paul's little rant...

If I recall my old fellowship, the BBF,I is affiliated with that school. However, their own graduate school BBGST-you can visit them at www.baptist.edu - offers a masters degree online that, IMO, would be far superior to anything at LBU and it would be accredited. To ease any concerns BBGST would be considered an IFB seminary (even though a couple of so called "scholars" with their fancy Ph.Ds are teachers there).

BJ

6. Broadus

Broadus Member

BBGST looks like the best thing going for IFB distance education, even though it does have a couple of PhD's. [​IMG] If I were IFB and were looking at DE, I would have to give it a good look.

Bill

7. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Maranatha Baptist Bible College Graduate School has been having several classes per year on the Internet, and quite a few modules every year. You can get an MA in either Biblical Studies or Counseling.

It is accredited, with high spiritual and academic standards. Right now they are offering Baptist History over the Internet, but it may be too late to get in on it. You can check out the program at: http://www.mbbc.edu/Academics/Brochures/graduatestudies.html

God bless!

8. gopchad

gopchad New Member

I am getting my MBS through Piedmont Baptist College. They offer every class online, and have a qualified faculty and are TRACS accredited. So far it has been academically challenging, and I am taking my first module on campus starting Monday, so I can let you know how that goes.

Chad Fletcher

9. UZThD

UZThD New Member

I apologize that I know little about IBF schools.

As I recall LBU is one? Hope that's right. I will opine on LBU as I know a little about it:

It seems to have some substance. However, IMO it should not offer docs in Bible/Theology because of the limited number of faculty it has with accredited docs.

About a year ago, on another board , I got into a discussion with a certain 'Jason.'

Jason had just finished with an 'A' average the LBU MA in Bible. He was now in the LBU PhD in Bible.

He also had bought a doc from a mill and proudly listed his other accomplishments on his website.

Jason argued that the very best tool for doing lexical research on Greek words was Strong's Concordance.

Now , I hope that I do not offend the KJVO folks here, but IMO to award a PhD in Bible to one whose skills in the Biblical languages are limited to using Strong's Concordance is just plain ridiculous.

I would not expand my comment to include the LBU MDiv or DMin programs.

Bill

10. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

If you mean Liberty Baptist U. that would now be a Southern Baptist school.

11. UZThD

UZThD New Member

no I mean Louisiana Baptist University

12. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

Does Baptist Bible Seminary offer an online degree?

13. Broadus

Broadus Member

Check out Brandon C. Jones' post above for the link.

Bill

14. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Thanks for all of your replies, you have given me some good ideas. Being that I am deaf I am looking for a place where I can get the degree mostly through reading, be it books or printed lectures. I cannot comprehend tapes or videos unless I can lipread the speaker. I have conversed with LBU and they will work with me on that, I will see what the others say.

Right now I am looking at a MDiv. Since I am not a pastor (at least not stateside) the degree is basically for my benefit to keep the iron sharp. I am weak in Bible geography and OT studies, that is two areas that I would like to get more knowledgable in.

15. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    POB,

I am really suprised that you said this!!!??? How is it that when Thomas Road BC (the church Jerry Falwell pastors) became a member of the SBC's state convention that that made LBU an SBC school? Do you have any semblence of knowledge of the SBC governance, or local church polity, or state convention "doins'?"

I will need some clarification on this one if you would be so kind?

sdg!

rd

16. Broadus

Broadus Member

Liberty University is a private institution that is not under either of the two Virginia Baptist conventions. Unless I'm mistaken, Thomas Road is really SBC in little more than name only, giving some money to SBC entities.

Bill

17. untangled

untangled Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do know that Liberty affirms the BFM 2000. They say so on their site.

As far as other schools. Try Baptist Bible College and Seminary in PA (I think). That may have been mentioned already but they do have a distance learning program.

18. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

I could very well be wrong but it was my impression from readings here on the board that Liberty was becomming an SBC school.Now that you have questioned me I have to go a reseach it and will tell you what I find out.

19. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    POB,

You can research it if you want? But, I, being an SBC member and observer, would say that what "Broadus" said above would save you some valuable time doing research.

You are of course, welcome to do as you please, HA!

sdg!

rd

20. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

Thomas Road Baptist Church is SBC according to Jerry Falwell.

Also, LU now has trustees on the board that are nominated/elected from the state convention (I believe two). Does that not bring LU under the umbrella of the SBC?