1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Best MAC Bible software?

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by Mexdeaf, Jul 30, 2008.

1. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

What is your opinion on the best Bible software for MAC and why? I am going to get a Bible software package for my MacBook and would like to have your input.

Thanks!

2. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

A lot of us Mac users recommend Accordance. Personally I use Logos and run it on Parallels Desktop running WinXP. I am also using the alpha version of Logos for Mac but not all the features are available yet. You can download it here to try it out if you already have Logos books.

Hope that helps. Glad there is another Mac user!

Dios le bendiga.

3. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you can run windows stuff, e-sword.net. There is also Bible Explorer.

For mac specific there is online bible and I think Crosswire.org has a mac or maybe it was a java program.

Being windows man can't tell you how good any of them are cept e-sword which is a great one especially for free.

4. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Amazing! I cannot believe that there are only two MAC users on here!:laugh:

Thanks for your responses, though. That Logos software looks great but the prices...!!

5. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Its not cheap, but in my experience it blows any of the free stuff out of the water in many ways. It is so easy to had new books to your library and they have a great Spanish library as well which may interest you. I am hoping to buy a Spanish set to add to what I all ready have.

You could start off with just a basic start library and then add more books as you have the money. (As if we ever have the money:laugh: )

There are more Mac users than just two. I don´t know why they have not responded.

Out of curiosity, have you used Macs for a while or are you a "switcher"?

6. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've seen a number of bible programs on ebay, might save you a few bucks.

There is also another group, the mac wannabees :laugh: those that would switch if they had the money it takes :thumbs:

7. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

I have been a Mac Man since about 2003. I bought my first PowerBook off eBay. My youngest son is still using it in college. The ministry I am now involved in purchased a MacBook for me which I use now- as a matter of fact the church is in the process of switching over completely to Macs.

8. Psalm 95

Psalm 95 New Member

I use accordance software on my iMac and think it is very good. In a few week I will get version 8 premier version and also install on my MacBook.

/Psalm 95

9. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Online Bible is best available for Mac or Windows. Far superior to E-Sword in functionality and compatible add ons like commentaries, lexicons, libraries, etc. I've used OLB for over 15 years and have it along with about four or five other programs, some costing hundreds of dollars. OLB is what I use exclusively. The rest can collect all the dust they want. Online Bible is the best, bar none.

10. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I use QuickVerse 2007, it has worked great for me

11. baptistteacher

Site Supporter

I also use the Online Bible software, and have been since someone gave me a copy in seminary. Besides the price being right, (many modules are a free download), it is simple to use and has many features and many add-ons.

Example - do you need a foreign language? Online Bible has many, including the specialized fonts required -- Hungarian, German, Spanish, Vietnamese, Maori, Tagolog, Dutch, etc.

Of course it has Biblical languges, with Hebrew and Greek fonts. And commentaries, Robertson's Word Studies, etc., and some of these are available in other languages.

I have an older version of Accordance, but it never seemed to work right. Couldn't get the windows to scroll in unison. Does anyone know the trick to making that work correctly?

#11 baptistteacher, Aug 4, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2008
  12. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

best software for Mac?

Accordance...hands down

13. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I have it but haven't installed it. I just have such positive results and a tremendous library on Online Bible that I haven't loaded it onto my ministry laptop

14. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

I put my 2¢ in for accordance.
    I have used most Mac Bible programs and it is just the best overall.
    However, it has been the most expensive, though Logos may be as much, I am not sure.
    Online Bible used to be decent but development has come to a virtual stop.

MacSword is nice in that it is free and has the accessibility to all of the Sword modules (ie E-Sword on Windows) But it is a very basic program and searching has been terrible in recent versions.