1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Better yet when did Christ DIE ?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by RightFromWrong, Sep 11, 2005.

1. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The problem may be in your assuming that the "third day" references are to the physical resurrection of His body. It is more likely, in context, that such verses are speaking of His spiritual resurrection from sheol, or the place of the dead, thus freeing us from that penalty for sin, which was followed by the physical resurrection of His body.

2. Whatever.... you jusy want to argue. There are more verses saying AFTER then ON. So what if Christ rose ON the third day it could have been the last minute of the third day and still have been a FULL three days and Three nights.

Whats wrong with you ? the proof still stands Jesus was in the tomb three days and three nights.

So he couldn't have been crucified on Friday like the Catholics say, no matter what !

3. Whatever......I think I am going to stick with Jesus account of what he was going to do. Jesus words in the Bible said AFTER three days.

So whats your point ? Either way you have none

Jesus said:

MATT. 12:40 " So shall the son of man be THREE days and THREE nights in the Earth. "

MATT. 27:63 " And AFTER Three days, I will rise again ".

MARK.8:31 " And AFTER three days, I will rise again ".

JOHN 2:19 " Destroy this Temple (body) and I will raise it again in THREE days ".

4. whatever

whatever New Member

No, I just want to know what you think about what Paul said. Hint: he was quoting scripture.

5. rstrats

rstrats Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    RightFromWrong,

re: “4) The Feast of First Fruits on Sun. He became the first fruits of the resurrection
    1 COR. 15:20-23. “

You can’t really use the firstfruits wavesheaf typology to support a first day resurrection because the moment of resurrection did not fulfill the typology. That didn’t occur until the Messiah presented Himself to the Father later on the first day.

6. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

In my understanding (and I apologize because there is an OT Scripture I believe that points this out and I can't remember it off the top of my head - shame on me) but the Jews consider anything that happened on a day to include the entire day.

I'll use an Americanized analogy . . . if something happened at 11:59 on Friday then it is counted as taking place throughout that entire day. If something happened at any point on Sunday then it is counted to have happened throughout that entire day.

So by my understanding of the way Jews counted days Christ could have died on Friday and rose on Sunday without any what we might think of as technical problems.

7. rstrats

rstrats Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    J. Jump,

As regards the Jewish practice of counting any part of a day as a whole day I would agree, but when “nights” is added to “days” to yield the phrase “3 days AND 3 nights” it normally refers to a measurement of a consecutive time period where “day” refers to the light portion of a 24 hour period and “night” refers to the dark portion of a 24 hour period. No one In the history of apologetics, as far as I know, has ever presented any historical documentation that the phrase “ 3 days AND 3 nights” was a unique first century idiom of Hebrew/Aramaic/Greek which could mean something different than what the phrase means in English.

8. AresMan

AresMan Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, most people would say 33AD because Jesus was 33 years old. However, our Gregorian calendar is off by about two years.

9. Mel Miller

Mel Miller New Member

Whatever and rstrats,

Two quotes:
    "No one has ever presented documentation that the phrase `3 days AND 3 nights' was a unique first century idiom which could mean something different than the phrase means in English."

The Synoptic Gospels reveal the counting of days allow that "any part of a day can be considered a whole 24-hour day and night". Also John states Jesus was crucified on the "day of preparation" which, according to the great Jewish scholar, Alfred Edersheim, was recognized by Jews as a FRIDAY!

Matthew and Mark state that "after SIX days" (from the revelation that "some would not die until they had seen God's kingdom having come in power) Jesus took three disciples to the Mt. of
    Transfiguration. Matt.17:1; Mark 9:1.

Luke 9:28 says it was "about EIGHT days" !!!
    Luke counted the time before 6 PM of the first
    day and the time after 6 PM on the 6th day as
    two separated "24-hour days".

From Passover Friday at 3 PM to 6 PM was day one.
    From Friday at 6 PM to Sat. at 6 PM was day two.
    From Sat. 6 PM to the resurretion was day three.

"After" the 6th day allows for saying it was
    "about 8 days". "After the third day" for the resurrection is the same as saying "on the third day" because any part of the third day was both
    "after" it began and was also "on the third day".

I have charts at www.lastday.net under God's
    Timing and Biblical Month and 70 Sevens and
    70th Seven to show that FRIDAY was the only
    possible day and the Day of Preparation was
    the High Sabbath before the regular Sabbath.

Friday the 14th of Nisan was the only day of
    the month on which Passover occurred once
    every 7 years on a 360-day annual countdown
    for 483 years from BC 445 to AD 32.

Mel Miller www.lastday.net

10. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

:eek: [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

However, I believe the Lord was crucified on Thursday. Not other day fits all the Biblical phenomena accurately.
    Ed

11. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Bt Paul says that Jesus "was raised on the third day in accordance with the Scriptures". If He died on Wednesday wouldn't "on the third day" mean Saturday? </font>[/QUOTE]Bingo! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Ed

12. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

I believe you added the words "full", in there. I don't recall reading that in any text. Not to mention, there is no Biblical mention of "the four Sabbaths in a row".

The day may or may not be Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday. But let's determine that from Scripture, not some alleged "four in a row Sabbaths".

FTR, the first day of the feast day of 'unleavened' bread was also a Sabbath (an Holy convocation). It is not the same as Passover, although the 'locals' used the terms interchangeably to some degree in the Gospels. And there is some distinction made between what were feast days and/or Holy convocations, and/or Sabbaths in the Levitical Law, as I read it.

Ed

13. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Read it carefully! First Fruits is NOT a Sabbath.

Ed

14. rstrats

rstrats Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mel Miller,

re: “The Synoptic Gospels reveal the counting of days allow that ‘any part of a day can be considered a whole 24-hour day and night.’"

Agree. But when “nights” is added to “days” to yield the phrase “three days AND three nights”, as E.W.Bullinger says, “...the expression ceases to be an idiom, and becomes a literal statement of fact.” If you have first century documentation to the contrary, I would very much like to see it.

re: “Also John states Jesus was crucified on the "day of preparation" which, according to the great Jewish scholar, Alfred Edersheim,”

That the term “preparation day “ did not always have to mean the day before the 7th day Sabbath is attested to by the great Rabbi Samuel Lacks who states: “The day of preparation (Greek ‘paraskeue’) equals Friday OR the day before a holiday” - [A Rabbinic Commentary of the New Testament]. Therefore, the preparation day mentioned in your reference did not HAVE to be referring to a Friday.

15. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

The day before Passover in 29 AD.

16. rstrats

rstrats Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The second reference in my last post is corrected to read: “Also John states Jesus was crucified on the 'day of preparation' which, according to the great Jewish scholar, Alfred Edersheim, was recognized by Jews as a FRIDAY!”

17. genesis12

genesis12 Member

Two songs come to mind (nay, spirit):

I need no other argument, I need no other plea, it is enough that Jesus died, and that He died for me, and.......

He arose, He arose, Hallelujah, Christ arose!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

18. Frenchy

Frenchy New Member

I asked my husband about this OP and he thinks the original poster has a point. if Jesus said he would be in the tomb three days and three nights and he wasn't, then that would make him a liar. we both have Catholic backgrounds and feel this is another area Catholics have screwed things up.

19. PASTOR MHG

PASTOR MHG New Member

I agree with Doc Cassidy here.

The best way to find the actual day is not to count backwards from Sunday, but rather count forward from the Triumpal entry to the Upper Room. Search the Scriptures and you will see that every day is accounted for from Palm Sunday to Tuesday evening meal with disciples to a Wednesday cross.

Max

20. Frenchy

Frenchy New Member

Not sure i understand?