1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Better yet when did Christ DIE ?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by RightFromWrong, Sep 11, 2005.

1. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

I agree with Doc Cassidy here.

The best way to find the actual day is not to count backwards from Sunday, but rather count forward from the Triumpal entry to the Upper Room. Search the Scriptures and you will see that every day is accounted for from Palm Sunday to Tuesday evening meal with disciples to a Wednesday cross.

Max
    </font>[/QUOTE]You are basically correct. Most so-called harmonies of the gospels are very accurate, save for a few, small, little, insignificant, misincule, minor details (like about half the conclusions, give or take! :rolleyes: ). In a mis-guided attempt to make Our Lord be crucified on a supposed "Good Friday", most commentators, who like most of us, are merely "common 'taters", are faced with a dilemma, namely that the gospel records only 'fill' some five days of events, from the time of the triumphal entry until the time of the crucufixion on Mt. Moriah. In our method of reckoning time, which is basically irrelevant to the 'day', as opposed to the Jewish (and Old Tstamant, in general) method from sundown to sundown, as a 'day', in order to reconcile the irreconcilable, many of these have "made from whole cloth" a so-called "Day of Silence" or "Day of Meditation" on Wednesday to account for this. There is absolutely no Biblical basis for this, and in fact, it goes against a Biblical type (as well as the Mosaic Law, regarding the Sabbath).
    Ed

2. Mel Miller

Mel Miller New Member

Ed,

Would you please explain in detail how the
    problem of "five" days requires a day of
    "silence" in order for the Church to have
    been "misguided" in claiming the crucifixion
    occurred on "Good Friday".

You are making a charge that should be
    substantiated with facts.

Mel Miller www.lastday.net

3. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

The 'Levitical' Lamb was to be 'taken' on the tenth day of the first month,"6And ye shall keep it until the fourteenth day of this month; and the whole congregation of the assembly of Israel shall kill it between the two evenings." (Darby) or " 6`And it hath become a charge to you, until the fourteenth day of this month, and the whole assembly of the company of Israel have slaughtered it between the evenings;" (YLT)
    There has been a distinct tendency to got to another 'extreme', while rightly recognizing that our Lord could not have been crucified on Friday, in light of Matt. 12:39-40, and fulfilled the 'three days and three nights' prophecy to insist on a Wednesday Crucifixion to account for this, as being the only way to get in 72 hours, before a resurrection on the "First day of the week." However Jesus never mentioned any "72 hours" period, per se, nor does any other Scripture, leading me to think this, too, is a contrived attempt to "prove a point".

4. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Mel, I type slow and am doing this in bits and pieces, as I have other non-computer things working as I do this. Please read the whole as a thread, and not as individual answers. Not a criticism, but my telling you what is going on, with me. Thanks, both to you, and to all.
    In his grace,
    Ed

5. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

What Jesus here, as well as Scripture elsewhere do tell us include the following. Jesus was without sin. One of the things this involved was keeping the Law of Moses, IMO. This is not to be confused with "the tradition of the elders", which he was accused of not 'keeping' (and in fact did not) when it conflicted with His ministry nad the Law itself. The tradition had become more 'important' to Israel, than the commandments, in some instances, if not many. One of the places this can be seen is the events around Passover.

[I think the people of that time would have made good Baptists; they were more concerned with 'pigging out' with the eating of the 'Feast' than with what the Scripture actually taught. (Anyone know of 'good Baptists' that can somehow manage usually, to make the services when a dinner is served, when somehow things can come up during a 'regular service' which divert their attendance?) But I digress!]

One way this is seen is in the use of the actual words of "Passover", "Unleaved bread", and "feast". "The 14th day of the first month, (Abib, or Nisan) 'between the evenings' is (and was) the Lord's Passover." (Lev. 23:5 Darby, YLT - referenced, not quoted here) The fifteenth day was known as "Unleavened Bread", and was the start of a seven day feast, with the first and seventh days also being "an holy convocation", which happens to be not said about 14 Nisan. I'll get back to this, but it may take a while. Something has come up here, (guess I'm one of them "good Baptists' I spoke of :rolleyes: ) that may prevent me from getting back to this for a while. However like as unto Gen. MacArthur, "I shall return."

Thanks for everyone's patience. I'm sorry not to be more 'continuing' in this, and taking up so much time.
    In his grace,
    Ed

6. donnA

donnA Active Member

She can't answer you, she was banned for continually breaking rules, and yelling at people, name calling, etc. not a nice girl at all.

7. Frenchy

Frenchy New Member

Now, now, Donna

Ephesians 4:25

"Therefore, laying aside falsehood, speak truth each one of you with his neighbor, for we are members of one another. 26, Be angry, and yet do not sin; do not let the sun go down on your anger, 27, and do not give the devil an opportunity. 29, let no unwholesome word proceed from your mouth, but only such a word as is good for edification according to the need of the moment, so that it will give grace to those who hear. 30, Do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. 31, Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. 32, Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you."

8. Frenchy

Frenchy New Member

Now, now, Donna

"Therefore, laying aside falsehood, speak truth each one of you with his neighbor, for we are members of one another. 26, Be angry, and yet do not sin; do not let the sun go down on your anger, 27, and do not give the devil an opportunity. 29, let no unwholesome word proceed from your mouth, but only such a word as is good for edification according to the need of the moment, so that it will give grace to those who hear. 30, Do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. 31, Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. 32, Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you."

9. donnA

donnA Active Member

frenchy, since you weren't here you wouldn't know. I told not one falsehood about her. I just hope and pray she gets the help she needs, she was so angry all the time.

10. Frenchy

Frenchy New Member

Not sure which is worse anger (which can be a result of pain) or being mean spirited and highly defensive. by the way was she angry about anything in particular. i can see if she was treated the same way i have been, she may not have reacted as mature. some people don't handle being accused of things they didn't do or to have their personhood questioned all that well. just pray for people like this. we are asked to show love and grace when it comes to peoples behaviors not to react the same.
    Jesus said to LOVE YOUR ENEMIES!

11. donnA

donnA Active Member

You wouldn't know would you, you weren't a registered member, as frency , here then were you. You have no idea what your talking about then would you, since frenchy registered in March 06, and she was banned way before that. How would know one thing about how she may or may not have been treated? Rules are rules and people agree to them when they register, she didn't obey them.
    Love your enemies, isn't that funny, how you can here, and I'd never even seen you here, and you started in one me on a thread I had nothing to do with? You made me to be your enemy before I even knew who you were, or before you'd even had any discussion at all with me.
    So now, what did you say about love?

12. Frenchy

Frenchy New Member

Why Donna are you making a big deal about nothing? i was trying to help you in an area that i myself (and others) have been helped in, many times by posters on other forums (many years back) and yet your responce went over board. i notice you have a problem with weight thread topics too. stop getting so bent out of shape and thinking everyone is out to get you. I have broken no rules that i know of. the fact that you are NOT showing a Christlike attitude towards someone who offended you (whether they meant to or not, and i didn't) shows you need help. i honestly believe you and Gina are just making yoursleves look bad by attacking me and not showing grace and love to someone who means you or anyone else NO HARM. get over whoever it was in the past who was banned and move on and treat others nicely and with the same respect you would want. I am sorry over and over again for correcting your spelling. i do see it must have work at least that has improved.

by the way i see people breaking the rules over and over yet they remain. in fact the longer you are here the better your chance is. that is how it is on all boards.

13. Rachel

Rachel New Member

Frenchy you REALLY should read and study this verse you have quoted in every thread I've seen you in. You are constantly antagonizing people on this board. You seem to like to cause division. Take your own advice.

14. donnA

donnA Active Member

I haven't posted a thing about people being out to get me, your the one who keeps crying about that, see the posts on this thread as proof. You can't make stuff up and not have proof, it doesn't work, try again. You are not showing a Christ like attitude on most of your posts, you constantly antagonize and accuse people. I don't really care about whoever who been banned, I only informed the person addressing the op that she would not be responding, then you jumped in in attack mode as usual.
    Get over it girl. You weren't here you wouldn't know about any previous members would you.

15. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

I'm back, for the moment, at least. I will expound, if any consider it necessary on the colloquial use, in that day of Feast, Passover, and Unleavened bread, should any request it, but would like to get the basics covered first. Jesus' annoncement of Jonah would have surely gotten the attention of the hearers, they of Jewish background. The usual order had been reversed. He did not say three nights and three days, in the sense of evening and morning, and the usual way that time was reckoned among that religion, but the other way around, just like Jonah. Strange!

(As an aside, we are not told when the fish upchucked Jonah, but could and can now assume it was prior to sunrise, on the third 'night', since the context of the events in Jonah, would seem to imply that he was tossed during the daylight hours, given what transpired. Had he been pitched at or after sundown, he would have started with a 'night', not a day.)

16. donnA

donnA Active Member

frenchy according to scripture, I will not be responding to you further on this thread

Proverbs 26:4
    Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest thou also be like unto him.

17. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

There are multiple passages in the NT which give varying words as to how long this time that the Lord would be or was in the tomb, as to his body, and hence, the heart of the earth, in the case of his soul and spirit. Our Lord dismissed his spirit to the Father around 3 P.M. solar time. His body hung on the cross for some bit longer, was taken down, by the two 'rich guys' who had purchased the spices to annoint Him, wrapped the body, and placed it in the tomb before sundown, which at that latitude and time of the year, would correspond to about 7 P.M. 'solar' time, in accordance with Hebrew i.e. Mosaic law. (Keep in mind, my earlier reference to 'Law' vs. 'tradition'.) While the 'legal' clock would have no doubt, started at what amounts to 6PM, the Sabbath, or any day, for that matter, 'Biblically' started at sundown. Nicodemas and Joseph were under pressure to complete this, for the clock was running, and fast. Scripture even tells of this in these words:
    The complementary passages of Matt. 27:57-66; and Mk. 15:42-47 tell us much of the same thing. I am not sure if it is especially significant, but would notice that Jesus never spoke of a "Preparation" Day per se, although He did speak of "Passover", "Unleavened Bread", and "Feast", which were all Mosaic terms.

18. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

My primary purpose in this thread is two-fold, although I am bringing in other things, as well. To establish 'when' our Lord was crucified, and to cover the phrase, "Between the evenings". Much has been written about this ambiguous phrase, attempting to 'set a time' for our Lord's death, and the time for the Passover Lamb to be slain, for I have seen some on the 'Net. Since 'between the evenings, is a slightly braoder term, it was taken, and I believe correctly, in one sense to mean afternoon, specifically, later than around 3 PM, as more definitively, and a 'greater' emphasis. I take the passage as it is written. The Passover was to be slain "beween the evenings", i.e., generally the start of 14 Nisan (Abib) at sundown, (or actually after around 3 PN, technicaly, on 13 Nisan) and the start of 15 Nisan. The Lord kept all the Mosaic Law, as I stated before, as well as fulfilled the 'types'. Ergo, He ate the Passover Meal or Seder, that evening, a type of His own sacrifice that would come that same day. His own 'sacrifice' was "between the evenings", as well, both as to 'hour', and day. He had to both partake, by law, and be the Lamb, as well. And He did just that.

19. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Good point from another from God's country! [​IMG] The rhetoric sometimes becomes deafening, on this board. I am not 'picking on any', but merely observing. Specifically, I am not referring to Frenchy, Donna, Marcia, saturn neptune or any other who has posted, in the least. I cannot 'respond' and see who wrote at the same time, so am pulling this from memory. Should I have responded and didn't :eek: , or you felt you have been 'responded to', and shouldn't have been :confused: [​IMG] I apologize. If I missed any, and they did need it, :rolleyes: - :D :D

Ed

20. Mel Miller

Mel Miller New Member

Ed,

In your calculation of the "five days" from
    Palm Sunday to Good Friday, you will take into account that Jesus spoke of the "Day of
    Visitation" on which Daniel's prophecy of
    69 sets of Seven was fulfilled to the exact
    day. This is critically relative to the 5 days.

Let me ask you this question:

What are the other O.T. prophecies which Jesus
    referred to ON THAT DAY of Visitation and which could have been or were actually fulfilled at the very "time" He was speaking?

In light of your findings, what is the only
    possible day on which Christ could have died?

Mel Miller www.lastday.net