1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

BGCTX - First black president

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by rlvaughn, Nov 16, 2005.

1. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  2. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    A noteworthy event; I had not realized that blacks make up 12 percent of the convention (roughly the same percentage as in the general population.)

It also shows that the Mainstream Baptists are in firm control of the convention.

3. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Stephen, I'm intrigued by your statement that it "also shows that the Mainstream Baptists are in firm control of the convention". I assume by "it" you mean the election of Bell (or perhaps the percentage of blacks in the BGCTX?). Are you thinking the conservative/non-Mainstream SBC'ers (or whatever is the proper term) would not elect a black president?

I have been receiving fellowship, the magazine of the Cooperative Baptist Fellowship, since near its inception. I read it extensively at first, though I seldom do anymore. At that time I was impressed by their continuing emphasis on minority groups (women, blacks, etc.) in ministry and in leadership positions in the CBF. I wouldn't say they were doing it for show, but it seemed they were making a show of doing it.

4. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    I wouldn't necessarily disagree with your assessment. Some of the quotas set out by the new BGCT rules seem to be artificial and designed to say "Look, we really are inclusive."

On the other hand, if the BGCT is serious about full integration, such actions may be necessary to convince black congregations that the convention intends to back up its rhetoric and not give black churches the back seat on the bus.

The entire SBC has, in fact, been doing a better job of including black churches. According to Christianity Today, the SBC in 2002 had more black congregations than the Progressive National Baptist Convention (the second largest black Baptist denomination.)

CHRISTIANITY TODAY

The success of the SBC in this area seems to be in the willingness of the convention to leave these churches alone. This seems a bit counterintuitive me, a recovering SBCer and dedicated SBC watcher: The overall trend, it seems to me, over the past two decades has been to require more conformity, not less. Perhaps the unique situations of these churches has led the SBC to adopt a different strategy. I think it's a good strategy, one that should be extended across the national convention.

Of course, my opinion is just that and is worth what you paid for it.

5. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Along this line, I would also find it interesting to know whether percentage is made up mostly of blacks in integrated churches, or if black churches are joining the Conventions. If mostly black churches are joining these or other SBC or CBF related bodies, I would expect they are maintaining dual affiliation - IOW, also still participating in one of the National Baptist Conventions.

6. quidam65

quidam65 Member

I looked across the list of the 74 churches affiliated with the North Texas Baptist Association (the conservative SBC local association for the DFW area, affiliated with the SBTC and not BGCT). At least half of them are African-American churches or other ethnic group churches. Whether those churches are dually aligned with other conventions I could not tell from the list.

7. billwald

billwald New Member

Anyone think he was the most qualified for the job?

8. Bob

Bob New Member

The only problem I find with blacks in roles of leadership, as well as women, is that most of these candidates are from the extreme left wing subculture of American society. Therefore I almost always vote against women and blacks, whether it be in politics or other areas. Here is a political example of what I am saying: If Clarence Thomas ran against Ted Kennedy for president of the United States, Clarence would probly get 95 percent of the white conservative vote.(mine included) And if a conservative woman ran against a liberal man for that office, I believe the result would be similiar. Thus, many people are unjustly accused of racism and sexism, both in the church and the secular worlds.

[ November 21, 2005, 08:32 AM: Message edited by: Bob ]